Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman distance liquid nutrition question [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I put two waffles in each pocket. I wear a Castelli Free San Remo Short Sleeve suit. They fit nicely in the pockets, completely flat against my back. I have no worries about them falling out, and getting them in there during T1 is fast and easy. This strategy served me very well for my first 3 Ironmans. I raced Ironman Boulder in absurdly hot weather last week and I think I will slightly modify my strategy in the future.

At Boulder, I believed things were going very well as I passed through mile 100 of the bike. Power was dropping due to the heat (my garmin was measuring 104 degrees by that time) but everyone else seemed to be doing a lot worse than me. I had eaten the waffles first, one every 30 minutes, during the first 97 minutes of the ride, and also supplemented with some base salt because in the hot weather I need more salt than what is in the waffles. I kept the salt tube in my rear pocket also. Then I switched to the concentrated infinit.

Just after mile 101. right after I saw my family for the last time on the bike, I took a swig from my infinit bottle and immediately puked. I went from feeling good given the conditions and being in a great mental state to feeling TERRIBLE and in a very bad mental state. I was unable to drink or eat anything for the rest of the bike ride. In T2 I tried to drink some water but could only manage a few small sips. I ended up choosing to DNF at the first aid station.

Mostly I think this was because I was not prepared for the heat and my body was just rebelling. But I do think I could do some things that might have allowed me to make it through. Next time I will not do all solid food first and all liquid after. I will alternate throughout the race. So I might start with a waffle. Then 30 minutes later start using infinit and do that for the next 30 minutes. Then another waffle... etc.

Hope that helps.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance liquid nutrition question [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Yes, I put two waffles in each pocket. I wear a Castelli Free San Remo Short Sleeve suit. They fit nicely in the pockets, completely flat against my back. I have no worries about them falling out, and getting them in there during T1 is fast and easy. This strategy served me very well for my first 3 Ironmans. I raced Ironman Boulder in absurdly hot weather last week and I think I will slightly modify my strategy in the future.

At Boulder, I believed things were going very well as I passed through mile 100 of the bike. Power was dropping due to the heat (my garmin was measuring 104 degrees by that time) but everyone else seemed to be doing a lot worse than me. I had eaten the waffles first, one every 30 minutes, during the first 97 minutes of the ride, and also supplemented with some base salt because in the hot weather I need more salt than what is in the waffles. I kept the salt tube in my rear pocket also. Then I switched to the concentrated infinit.

Just after mile 101. right after I saw my family for the last time on the bike, I took a swig from my infinit bottle and immediately puked. I went from feeling good given the conditions and being in a great mental state to feeling TERRIBLE and in a very bad mental state. I was unable to drink or eat anything for the rest of the bike ride. In T2 I tried to drink some water but could only manage a few small sips. I ended up choosing to DNF at the first aid station.

Mostly I think this was because I was not prepared for the heat and my body was just rebelling. But I do think I could do some things that might have allowed me to make it through. Next time I will not do all solid food first and all liquid after. I will alternate throughout the race. So I might start with a waffle. Then 30 minutes later start using infinit and do that for the next 30 minutes. Then another waffle... etc.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Ed. This is super helpful information for me - I'm going to give this strategy a shot this weekend (except with Tailwind instead of Infinit) and see how it goes.

Sorry to hear about IM Boulder - I had read about the conditions and they seemed absolutely brutal. What's your next race on the calendar?
Quote Reply

Prev Next