Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Billy Graham, Age 99
Quote | Reply
Apparently, the Reverend Billy Graham has passed away at age 99. A truly long, and full, life by any measure. People can disagree about whether he had a net positive or net negative impact on our society, but one thing's for sure: the famous (at one time, the most famous) evangelist had an impact, love him or hate him.

I remember in my youth in the late 1960s he was a fixture on television (at least, the TV that my grandmother Betty -- the hillbilly mother of my mom -- watched constantly ;-). Presidents used to consult with him on a regular basis and he was, in a way, one of several pillars of America's "moral conscience" (whether for good or ill) in that era.

Postmodernism, as it's done to most every "traditional" institution in American life, diminished his influence for a time, and confined it more to the Bible Belt than anywhere else, which is where Graham originally arose, but he never went completely away and his son, Franklin Graham, is a major player in the "political evangelist" world in the US currently.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Billy Graham, Age 99 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Modernism, as it's done to most every "traditional" institution in American life, diminished his influence for a time, and confined it more to the Bible Belt than anywhere else,

FIFY.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Billy Graham, Age 99 [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Modernism, as it's done to most every "traditional" institution in American life, diminished his influence for a time, and confined it more to the Bible Belt than anywhere else,

FIFY.

Heh. Thanks! ;

Now, if you'll excuse. I have some snake handling and speaking-in-tongues stuff to do. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always admired Billy Graham. I could be wrong, but I think he was one of the good ones who cared about salvation and not money. I never cared for Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker or Jerry Falwell, but Billy Graham seemed to be genuine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the cut of his jib.
Godspeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up maybe one scripture interpretation away from snake handling, in our Pentecostal church. He was legend.

But yeah, let's not pretend Graham's conservatism butts right up against postmodernism, in the timeline of modern Western culture. Modernism's half century run (and still going, we can only hope) pretty well changed the trajectory far more than the postmodern nutbaggery we're suffering under today.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and now, Mr Graham knows one way or another - or perhaps he's just gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He married my grandparents when he was a young chaplain. They kept a written correspondence throughout my Grandparents' lives.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Billy Graham, Age 99 [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I always admired Billy Graham. I could be wrong, but I think he was one of the good ones who cared about salvation and not money. I never cared for Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker or Jerry Falwell, but Billy Graham seemed to be genuine.
He didn't hate money.

"Born on a dairy farm in North Carolina, Graham had a reported net worth of $25 million."

http://www.newsweek.com/billy-graham-net-worth-814750

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Billy Graham, Age 99 [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
and now, Mr Graham knows one way or another - or perhaps he's just gone.

I'm a big believer in the wall, of the door and wall theory of what happens after you die. So, probably, he's just gone. As you, me and everyone else will one day just be gone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can honestly say he had no influence on any stage of my life and I'll thank God for that. :-)

I was just getting ready to post that his cousin was Jerry Lee Lewis, but suddenly realized it was Jimmy Swaggart as the cousin who preached loudly against rock n roll music. I wouldn't suspect Billy was a rock n roll fan either however. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Superstar Billy Graham is still kicking..

Quote | Reply
I don't think he hated money but I don't see it as the first priority in his life. I wonder how accurate estimates are of people's net worth. If you read his biography he spent very much time on the road devoted to his first priority. He could have made large amounts of money just from the books he wrote. As well he avoided scandal in his personal life and in his organization by acknowledging human nature. He always required that men and women in his organization didn't travel together unchaperoned. In view of all the bad behaviour we have seen revealed recently likely a good thing. He was not from my stream of Christianity but I think he was very genuine. A friend of mine was his go to doctor when he came to the Toronto area.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Billy Graham, Age 99 [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sideways wrote:

Superstar Billy Graham is still kicking..

I can practically smell the anabolic steroids coursing through that man's veins. ;-)

Quote Reply