Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe she just really wanted that olympic ring tattoo?
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
drn92 wrote:
How is this different than the two guys who did the same in cross country? The Tongan and some guy from Texas did basically the same thing. The Texan skied for Mexico and finished dfl in his race but was celebrated.

drn92

I saw a bunch of friends commenting that these athletes are what the Olympics are all about and blah, blah, blah. Bullshit. The Olympics are about competition and athletic excellence. Period. Losing by 30 minutes in XC skiing or going down the half pipe and not being able to perform a single trick, all the while competing for a country not your own, is just selfish, grandstanding, look at me horseshit. Same goes for the Nigerian bobsledders. While they have some actual talent... they’re Americans and nowhere near good enough to make the US team.

If it was about competition they would just take the top 24 athletes and not put limits on how many from each nation can come. World Cups and World Championships are about competition the Olympics are suppose to be about a whole lot more.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
The Olympics are about competition and athletic excellence. Period.

Well, no, that's really not what the Olympic Games is about. The Olympics is supposed to be about exalting sport and ethics; encouraging healthy lifestyles by using sport as an example; encouraging mutual respect, solidarity, fair play, and sportsmanship; and preserving human dignity.

Supposed to be about and are about are not always the same thing. Kind of like the term Student-Athlete, which is just code for I'm here to play basketball or [insert whatever money producing sport].

Sure, but for the function of setting the rules for who can get in and who can't, you kind of have to go by the charter and the "supposed to be" purpose. And just because what the Olympics are about in the US has changed from the "supposed to be" purpose, that doesn't mean it's changed for every other little country.

I thought there were minimum standards that someone had to meet in order to qualify in any even (Summer and Winter).

If not, then we should implement one to stop this kind of ridiculousness

I thought that’s what Eddie the Eagle was able to compete because he had at least met the minimum standard.

Read the freakin article, sheesh

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
The Olympics are about competition and athletic excellence. Period.

Well, no, that's really not what the Olympic Games is about. The Olympics is supposed to be about exalting sport and ethics; encouraging healthy lifestyles by using sport as an example; encouraging mutual respect, solidarity, fair play, and sportsmanship; and preserving human dignity.

Supposed to be about and are about are not always the same thing. Kind of like the term Student-Athlete, which is just code for I'm here to play basketball or [insert whatever money producing sport].

Sure, but for the function of setting the rules for who can get in and who can't, you kind of have to go by the charter and the "supposed to be" purpose. And just because what the Olympics are about in the US has changed from the "supposed to be" purpose, that doesn't mean it's changed for every other little country.

I thought there were minimum standards that someone had to meet in order to qualify in any even (Summer and Winter).

If not, then we should implement one to stop this kind of ridiculousness

I thought that’s what Eddie the Eagle was able to compete because he had at least met the minimum standard.

Read the freakin article, sheesh

My bad. I skimmed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of a friend, I met her last year at Sundance in Park City. She was going through the process of "qualifying" back then, I'll just say she is a unique individual based on casually talking to her for a few minutes.

In the long run this probably backfires on her, in this social media age for the rest of her life anyone that meets her will know about this. Based on comments on the stories, very polarizing; at least half of the people have a very low opinion of what she has done. I'm in the camp of this kind of makes a mockery of the Olympics, but at the same time I think it is more an indictment of the particular sport (freestyle aerial skiing) than what she did. If this sport is so unpopular you can get into the Olympics literally just by showing up, this sport shouldn't be in the Olympics. So in that sense, don't hate the playa, hate the game.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Feb 20, 18 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum. It's not new, and it's not going away anytime soon.

I bet you $100 the minimum requirements for freestyle skiing are going to be different for the next Olympics. So it is going away soon, and it the only reason it was "good enough" this time is because they didn't consider somebody would try to game the system like this.

The "spirit" of freestyle, aerial skiing is to do acrobatic, aerial tricks, if you are not even attempting to do that, you are dishonoring what the sport is about, which is exhibiting the epitome of bad sportsmanship. I would actual respect what she did if she attempted to do an actual aerial trick and crashed out, because that at least that would be honoring what the sport is about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she were a triathlete and did this we wouldn't be able to talk about it on slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she were a triathlete and did this we wouldn't be able to talk about it on slowtwitch
---

Unlikely. People used to bitch all the time about the Lottery and still do about the Celebrity/ Sponsorship/ Corporate/ E-bay slots at Kona without fear.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If she were a triathlete and did this we wouldn't be able to talk about it on slowtwitch
---

Unlikely. People used to bitch all the time about the Lottery and still do about the Celebrity/ Sponsorship/ Corporate/ E-bay slots at Kona without fear.

Very, very, very likely. This woman has a name. There are people that know her. People have stories to tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqI8xwXVac

Eric the eel!!! 10 more meters and he would have been the first olympic drowning!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well she's there and you ain't - so there's that. And, everything's relative, she's still in top 1% freestyle skiers in the set of all people in known galaxy.
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she's still in top 1% freestyle skiers in the set of all people in known galaxy.
---

I don't think this is true... Which is the problem.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
she's definitely in the top 1% of all known people in galaxy - watch that video at speed (not slow-mo) She's killing it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
drn92 wrote:
How is this different than the two guys who did the same in cross country? The Tongan and some guy from Texas did basically the same thing. The Texan skied for Mexico and finished dfl in his race but was celebrated.

drn92

The Texan tried. She did not.
Not only that, Texan is Mexican and Tongan is Tongan. Homechick is not Hungarian and was country shopping before Hungary accepted her. She is more like that lame ass couple who bought citizenship from Dominica to be flag bearers then claimed injured seconds after the husband started his cross country skiing event. She did not show.

Quote | Reply
Now we have people celebrating this little bundle of joy ...

https://www.yahoo.com/...-best-012747577.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't gaming the system how Trump got to be POTUS
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Well she's there and you ain't - so there's that. And, everything's relative, she's still in top 1% freestyle skiers in the set of all people in known galaxy.

How is she in the top 1%? Being in the Olympics doesn't elevate your skill level. Based on what I have seen in these kind of competitions (kids mostly) at the local mountain, she wouldn't even be in the top 50% in a local competition, so even if you want to play some big numbers game your math doesn't add up.
Quote Reply
Re: Scamming or Very Smrt? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Maybe she just really wanted that olympic ring tattoo?

Its the new m-dot tattoo!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next