Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Nano and haven't had any problems with it. This sounds like hearsay to me. And yes, it is "OT". Not just because it is about iPods, which in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be off-topic, but because it's unverified b.s. and you have nothing to back it up with. Maybe if someone was asking "which iPod/mp3 player is best for training?" it wouldn't me OT, but this, again, is just hearsay. But it's not like we don't get a lot of OT posts around here. We're trying to do better though ;)

And for the one-tenth of one percent of the people who did get a Nano with a screen-cracking problem, I'm sure Apple will gladly replace it.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-H.D.Thoreau
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [scorner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c) your topic has nothing to do with triathlon and therefore you should jump off a bridge.

I wasn't saying he should jump off a bridge...just quoting what my Mom told me when I was about 10 years old and I rode my bike off the local pier with a line tied to the seatpost and almost killed myself :-)

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was being unnecessarily sarcastic.

Picturing the pier jump made me laugh:)

Steve C.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OTOH what you might name the fourth daughter that you don't intend to have might seem off-topic. But then maybe the child, who shall never exist, would have been a triathlete, or might have affected your training so who knows.

(all meant to be silly and not taken seriously folks)

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hello all. Don't buy ipod nano's, I've just seen a shipment of defective ones. aparantly the screens on them crack really easily.
In Reply To:
My mom is a sales rep for a radio station, one of her clients was talking to her and said that he had to send back so many faulty ipod nano's and APPLE knew that there were going to be probable defects.
Ok, so I guess I understand that you didn't really "see" a shipment of defective ipods as you first said; you heard about it through your mom, who heard about it from a client.......No offense, but that seems like a flimsy reason to publically post that nobody should buy a nano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people buy Nano's for training. I don't think this post is OT at all. Thanks for the notice...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah? my mom saw a whole case of 'em and NONE were defective.

according to my second aunt, apple has taken care of all the problems and everything is a-ok. so smile, go outside and enjoy the snow ;-) :-) smiley simile oneone !@!221 pwned
Last edited by: acronym: Dec 16, 05 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I just started using an iPod Nano...my first MP3 player. I purchased the Otterbox waterproof case...and am waiting for my waterproof headphones.
I don't know how the Nano compares to others, but it sure is small...and using iTunes is a no-brainer. I love it thus far.
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy one of these:

http://www.otterbox.com/...ases/ipod_nano_case/

You can run the thing over with your car and won't break it. Waterproof to 3 feet so you can even swim with your Nano, if you're so inclined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as someone that has a much deeper look at this issue than Ted will ever have -

this is complete bullshit

the nano screens are the same as the prev ipods. Same supplier, same model -

nothing like a bunch of mass hype to make think people they can "SUE" everytime they damage an item from treating it rough.

But whatever, run with your ipods w/o protection in your sweaty hands, put them unprotected in your pocket with keys and when they get scratched or damaged be sure to head for your lawyer.

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Last edited by: fireface: Dec 16, 05 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

the nano screens are the same as the prev ipods. Same supplier, same model -

Actually, that isn't totally accurate. While the model may be the same and the supplier of the actual Nano may be the same, the pieces come from many different sources. What is believed to have happened is that there was one batch of "bad" screens which were prone to scrathing and breaking. The issue was that Apple knew this and sent them out anyway. Sort of like the way car makers send their cars out with known defects. It is usually cheaper to settle the lawsuits than fix the issue with the product.

But I agree...suing over every silly thing is...well silly. But if they knowingly sold defective merchandise, they should get the hammer.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed the pieces that comprise an ipod come from many different sources - but in this case it is the EXACT same screen. Not from somewhere else and not from a different source.

I also enjoy the "The issue was that Apple knew this and sent them out anyway." I would like to know how people know this. Do they have internal apple documents or are they spouting bullshit on the internet?

puh-leeze

-----
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]indeed the pieces that comprise an ipod come from many different sources - but in this case it is the EXACT same screen. Not from somewhere else and not from a different source.

I would love to know how you can differentiate between two screens made by 2 different manufacturers. Are you able to see down to the molecular level? All it takes is for a tiny bit of solution to be left out of a batch of plastic and it has a totally different molecular structure....hence the difference between a non-scrathable surface and a scratchable surface. If you can see that, then I want to borrow you next time I go buy some scratch lottery tickets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fireface: "indeed the pieces that comprise an ipod come from many different sources - but in this case it is the EXACT same screen. Not from somewhere else and not from a different source."

Marcus: "I would love to know how you can differentiate between two screens made by 2 different manufacturers."

-----------------------------

I'm guessing that one of you works for Apple, and the other is just full of shit. Everyone 'fess up ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Fireface: "indeed the pieces that comprise an ipod come from many different sources - but in this case it is the EXACT same screen. Not from somewhere else and not from a different source."

Marcus: "I would love to know how you can differentiate between two screens made by 2 different manufacturers."

-----------------------------

I'm guessing that one of you works for Apple, and the other is just full of shit. Everyone 'fess up ;-)[/reply]

Well I don't work for Apple, however, I do know this type of thing happens all the time.
I will add I love my Apple shuffle and I am a big fan of Apple products in general, however, IF it is true they did know about the issue, I believe they deserve to get everything coming to them. Do I know this is what happened? Nope, only hypothesizing. But there is no way, NO way, he can tell the difference between screens made by 2 different manufacturers. Or even 2 screens made by the same manufacturer, in a different batch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I know this is what happened? Nope, only hypothesizing. But there is no way, NO way, he can tell the difference between screens made by 2 different manufacturers. Or even 2 screens made by the same manufacturer, in a different batch.

------------------------------------

I don't believe he ever said he can tell two screens from different batches, but he most certainly could tell two screens made from different vendors if he works in Procurement at Apple. Just a hypothesis on my part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I never said i was "looking" at the screens, I stated that I knew for a fact that they are the same screen.

hypothesize away......

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't believe he ever said he can tell two screens from different batches, but he most certainly could tell two screens made from different vendors if he works in Procurement at Apple. Just a hypothesis on my part.[/reply]

Good point...something I hadn't thought of.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [amnesiac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I can post on this with a little authority. I have owned an iPod for about four years, a mini for 3 years and a shuffle for a year. I have been using Apple computers for 20 years (first one was a Mac SE). I am ridiculously loyal to Apple.

Grabbed a Nano for my girlfriend just after they were launched and heard all the hype about cracked screens, didn't believe it until one morning last week she took it out of its protective 'sock' and there we go, a cracked screen. To be more accurate this has nothing to do with the outer casing of the nano, no scratching, no cracking etc. Just the LCD screen cracked within the outer casing, she hadn't dropped it or anything. This is bad.

Rang Apple the next day (in UK where I live), new Nano arrived next day including the same engraving on the original. This is good.

Only downside is the woman on the phone couldn't guarantee the problem has been sorted so I am expecting further problems down the line. I tried to pay extra and upgrade to a iPod video but this was apparently a no go.

Just thought I would enlarge on the problem. It is definitely not "hearsay".

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Don't buy ipod nano's, I've just seen a shipment of defective ones.
Changes to:
Quote:
My mom is a sales rep for a radio station, one of her clients was talking to her and said that he had to send back so many faulty ipod nano's and APPLE knew that there were going to be probable defects.
Meanwhile, after the world read the first post on ST, Apple's sales plummeted, trading was halted in their stock on the NYSE and millions of children will not have Nanos under the Hanukka Bush--I mean Holiday Bush.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we are OT, what is the bet for the Jan. 5 game? Maybe the loser has to do a number of kick lengths (with fins) equal to their age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For triathletes, you'd think this carbon fiber case would be the ticket...

http://www.c6mfg.com/Products.html
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Ipod warning. [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thing is pretty sweet looking, but with as much as I sweat I'll be testing the limits of even the Otterbox to keep my Nano dry ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next