Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dovetail Joints--Harder than it looks [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
this class was on exactly that--the basics. i'd never sawn/chiseled a dovetail joint in my life until today. It was very eye opening. Eventually i intend to make a presentation case for my flintlock rifle and i intend to make the case by hand with dovetails for the main container. It will be quite a journey. i a looking forward to it

got a list of tools from the class i need to buy and practice with

Going to make a wooden box for black powder storage and transport as my first real project. I will practice practice practice before going final on something even as simple as the powder box.

/r

That’s pretty cool. It’s something I’ve wanted to learn- I’d like to make a case for my saber from school, and one day make a nice sideboard for the dining room. I’d love to build new bedroom furniture.

Have you been to Ft Hood? Do they have a woodworking shop?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Dovetail Joints--Harder than it looks [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a light INF/ABN guy so my sorry ass has never set foot on Ft Hood. It's one of the super bases so i imagine it will have a wood shop.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going to be stuck there for a year, and it looks like I can secure some on post housing. At 41, I can only lift and train BJJ so much before breakdown...

Got a reading list about 15 books deep so far.

Couple guys hunt and fly fish, so I’ve volunteered to learn to field dress anything they kill.

There’s a wood shop there, currently under renovation. If it’s not up and running soon, I’ll take lessons nearby on the weekend. Gotta be something in Austin or Waco.

I might not even bother with a TV- there’s way better stuff I can do with the off time, and all of it is stuff I want to teach my kids.

Quote Reply
Re: Dovetail Joints--Harder than it looks [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really nice. If you ever need an apprentice to teach/do gopher work- I’m clean, quiet, take my pay in education, and am willing to grill steaks nightly.

Quote Reply
Re: Dovetail Joints--Harder than it looks [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woodcraft in Austin offers classes on a variety of things. Usually good basic stuff, just watch the class schedule when you are there.
My advice is free - just message me with questions.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Milling - that is a whole other story.

It depends on how much you want to invest vs time. You CAN do it all by hand, but it is a ton of time.

Basic steps to milling - in sequence

Joint one edge. You can do this with a jointer, but also with a jack or jointing plane.
Flatten and thickness board - a jointer will speed this up, but you can flatten so you have at least two good registration surfaces with a scrub plane and jack plane. From there you can thickness by plane (lots of work), or you can use a thicknesser. The dewalt 3 blade is a good workhorse, and Rikon is now making one for not much more with a helical cutter head (my preferred for lunchbox planers).
Table saw to dimension wood - even Jobsite saws are pretty good these days - I would suggest a good thin kerf blade since the motors are not terribly powerful. Freuds new combination blade is the bomb. I have stopped using rip and crosscut blades since that came out. Bosch makes a nice jobsite saw with some good accesory outfeed and side support for sheet stock.

Also - if You just want to get the table saw, many lumber yards will offer dimensional milling for a fee. If this is just an occasional thing it may be worth it to get everything to 3S dimensioned (thickness and joint one edge).

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply

Prev Next