Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Relocation at 40
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are considering relocation. We've stagnated in a small town and are looking at areas with more options. Would like to be closer to family with more professional options and away from small town bullshit. Where we live currently is amazing as far as lifestyle, but the schools, work environment, and small town cliques are getting to be too much to tolerate.

We would be moving closer to family, closer to professional options, and better opportunities for our kids but would take a major hit in terms of lifestyle.

Thoughts?
Last edited by: 307trout: Feb 9, 18 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any relevant, similar experience to share, but are you limiting your consideration to just that one particular larger city? Is there anyone you can speak with in that city, in your field, to determine how realistic are your assumptions about your professional future?

You only live once and forty is not very old. Generally speaking, I'd go for the move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" My practice is stable, but stagnant. Small towns are social clubs and the cliques are about to drive me insane. Status within the small town social club is what determines referrals rather than professional quality. I'm not much of an ass kisser, even when it would be in my own best interest, so I think growth potential is limited. I estimate that I may be able to double my current income in a bigger town/city."

Also self employed in healthcare (chiropractor) and I hear you. I've been in big cities and small towns, prefer the small town but you nailed the small town mentality. It is true that you probably could gross more in the city but also remember that your office overhead and housing/cost of living will be much higher. I also found it easier to establish yourself in a small town as you're big news whereas in the city nobody cares and there is a ton of competition so if you're starting again from scratch expect a starvation period. If you're buying an established practice or going into some sort of an associate position then it might be different. I suffer from the small town blues once in awhile but then realize how good I've got it when I actually think about it. Tough choice but what ever you do really think it over and weigh the pros against the cons. It may be the best thing to move or maybe the grass won't be any greener on the other side.
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think the overhead will not change very much, and cost of living will likely go down. Mountain towns are not cheap places to live.

Startup will be a different challenge though. That's probably my main concern in all of this.

Gaining:

Proximity to family
Professional opportunity
Improving opportunity for kids
Getting away from small town bullshit

Losing:

Lifestyle
Weather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to consider is your social circle as it is more difficult to meet and develop new friendships at your age then say 25. But maybe in a bigger town you'll have more opportunities to do that.

Another thing to consider is retirement. If you grow your practice exponentially in the next 10-15 years in the bigger city it could set up you up for early retirement or a cushy retirement. And you can move back to that small town and play while everyone else is working! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 43. I've lived most of my adult post college life overseas; US a decade, Middle East 7 yeara and France 2.

My kids have so far moved once, born in middle east and live in France

We are considering a third country move in 2 years back to the UK.

We give up a lot; 20 minutes from Cannes and less than an hour from nearest skiing and 3 hours to serious skiing.

However, my kids want to see their grand parents. I may be taking a part time job in China for 18-20 weeks a year and that means my wife is on her own with no family support for quite a lot of the year. Our tax situation and the upside of being nearer family are driving this.

I know that the tax savings cover 4-6 ski weeks and more a year. I can buy somewhere reasonably close to the coast in the UK in a national park; so lots of outdoor activities, riding, excellent schools and great pubs

We would be closer to friends and family.

Pro's

Less tax
Lower cost of living
Near family and friends
Excellent schools
Pubs

Cons
Shit weather
Can't ski every weekend
Can't go to great beaches with good weather all summer
My daughter may lose her second language

My wife is very upset about losing the weather and our view - we look down on cannes. However, the reality is we can if Macron ever gets stuff done always move back.

As a physician. I am guessing your prime working years are mid 30's to 55/60?

The question is whether the additional cash is worth the cost in quality of life.

For me, and our own situation it is due to the prevalence of wealth taxes across Europe. If it was just the income and property taxes I could live with it here because I could do things to avoid the income part but the impact of all three is not sustainable.

I think for your kids - My kids as well - we need to decide for primary school and if they were approaching HS age or really would be time to make a big decision as you don't want to wait till they're 12/13 to do it.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe a city of about ~100k is ideal. Commutes are still short, schools offer more but not overly packed, big enough where you can meet new people, but the degree of separation is still small.

If you're only moving three hours away from your current town, you might be able to buy a vacation home/cabin near all of the things you like to do.

As for the business start up I'm can't comment on that, it will suck but might be worth it. The age for the kids might be hard, but if they are actively involved in sports or activities might not be that hard of an issue. They might also be in a bit of a culture shock when they get to school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 56 and just moved across Canada to start my own CPA firm. I wanted to be closer to my family but moved from a large city to a small town.

My priority was being closer to my family so I went ahead and all the other things like moving from a nice city (Vancouver), leaving a job that was going nowhere anyway, moving from friends was secondary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in Wyoming are you? I am guessing something like Lander. Are any towns in Wyoming big enough to really support a "non clique" culture?

I have lived in Gillette and Rock Springs, working in the coal industry. Unless something changes the school system in Wyoming is going to suffer considering it is funded by oil, gas and coal.

I am guessing you would be heading towards CO or Ogden, UT? Have you looked at Rapid City or Spearfish, SD?

I don't have much to add, other than I bailed on the coal industry to move close to family and get out of a sinking ship, I took a pay cut right away but over a few years it has worked out well for me.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit further north.

Small town clique is not something I envisioned having to deal with after junior high.

Do we ever actually grow up? lol, thinking no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just human nature, tribalism runs deep.

Good luck with your adventure. My vote is SD but I am biased.

Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
Just human nature, tribalism runs deep.

Good luck with your adventure. My vote is SD but I am biased.

I really like SD but that wouldn't achieve the proximity to family goal. Lifestyle wise, the black hills would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry folks.....The Black Hills are closed....the elk out front should have told ya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move, you are young and seeing the problems in your present situation. In a better location, you can save and have way more options in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing the in laws built when they did then!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how old are the kiddos? If they are in high school, it may just be worth it for them to ride out the current situation for a couple of years. If they are younger (elem/middle), then they are going to have to transition to some degree anyway. Also the lifestyles changing can be a positive. We moved from the suberbs closer to a city hub, and my kids love being close to a park to play pick up bball, being able to go to ball games without it taken 2 hours, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
how old are the kiddos? If they are in high school, it may just be worth it for them to ride out the current situation for a couple of years. If they are younger (elem/middle), then they are going to have to transition to some degree anyway. Also the lifestyles changing can be a positive. We moved from the suberbs closer to a city hub, and my kids love being close to a park to play pick up bball, being able to go to ball games without it taken 2 hours, etc.

Kids are 8 and 10. Oldest is just about to start middle school (next year).
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation at 40 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

My wife is very upset about losing the weather and our view - we look down on cannes. However, the reality is we can if Macron ever gets stuff done always move back.

As a physician. I am guessing your prime working years are mid 30's to 55/60?

The question is whether the additional cash is worth the cost in quality of life.

For me, and our own situation it is due to the prevalence of wealth taxes across Europe. If it was just the income and property taxes I could live with it here because I could do things to avoid the income part but the impact of all three is not sustainable.

I think for your kids - My kids as well - we need to decide for primary school and if they were approaching HS age or really would be time to make a big decision as you don't want to wait till they're 12/13 to do it.

Good luck

My uncle lives in Mougines. That would be a hard thing to give up for sure. I would move from the US to SoF for the quality of life if not for the kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Kids are 8 and 10. Oldest is just about to start middle school (next year).

Last good years to move, it gets tougher once they hit high school. Families still do it all the time, but there are more downsides.
Quote Reply