Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50CC Scooter Experts on here?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to buy a scooter to ride back and forth to the train station. I've found a 2013 Aprilia SR 50CC Factory scooter which is a two-stroke with 2,300 miles. I want a 2 stroke given the extra power over a 4 stroke and the fact I can register it as a scooter (50CC or less), which allows me to park for free on the sidewalk. That's the whole purpose of getting a scooter over something larger is to save me $4/day for parking. It's the principle.

I figure given my mechanical skills and ability to change top ends, clean the carb, jetting, etc I'd be better off on a two stroke. That I can put on a big bore 70cc top end and still license it as a scooter. 50mph!

I know very little when it comes to scooters so any advice would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was going with a 50cc, I would probably get a Honda Ruckus. They are easy to customize and I think they look cool. A couple years ago they were selling them faster than they could make them so there are bound to be some used ones on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No that's a four stroke. I need power and like the ability to be able to mod out the Aprilia. If I'm getting a 50, I need something that hauls butt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just change out the power band!!! yuck yuck

Sorry couldn't resist the 2 smoke joke.

Good luck in your search. In Idaho if your below 50cc I believe it's considered a bicycle and you don't have to register. I see a few around that are basically a pedal bike with a small motor attached. They cruise around at a decent clip but you have to pedal to get it going, not enough torque from a dead stop.
Quote Reply
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colorado you just sign and affidavit that states the model and CCs and that it is a "low powered vehicle" and that you have insurance. 50cc or less they give you a little registration for the scooter, which is good for tow years I believe. This is important if you want to park it on the sidewalk. You still need a drivers license and insurance to operate a scooter but no motorcycle license is required.

If I go to a bigger scooter or motorcycle then I need a motorcycle license and have to pay to park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a larger motor! I rode a 49cc Metropolitan for many years (nearly to 15k miles)before the computer gave out and I was too lazy to replace. It was affordable (80mpg) and reliable for my needs. Living in LA and only being allowed to ride on the streets, 49cc is plenty, especially during high traffic times. A larger engine gives more power and speed to ride on freeways and in HOV lanes, which can be useful depending on ones needs. A drivers license is needed and because it is a motorized vehicle, cannot be parked on the sidewalk.

Quote | Reply
The fact that gheydar hasn't beeped here indicates (to me) that Duffy was indeed gheydar.

Hoping to be proven wrong ...
Quote Reply
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larger engine defeats the whole purpose. It has to be a 50cc or less. Then I can avoid the daily parking fees. Above 50cc I need a license plate then I'm subject to parking fees. I have no other interest in riding on the highway or the HOV lane. I could care less if I get 50mpg or 100mpg, I just want to avoid paying to park everyday. That will more than pay for the scooter.

With a decent two stroke 50cc engine, I can easily modify it where it can go 50mph by just derestricting it. The speed limit to the train station is 35 and 45 in a few places and 90% of the trip has a bike lane, which I'm allowed to use since it is 50cc or less. I could spend a few hundred and mod out the Aprilia 50 and go 70mph, which would be a blast. The older Aprilia's and the Yamaha Zuma's prior to 2012 are two stroke engines and there are several websites dedicated to maxing them out.

While it would no longer be legal as a 50cc, you can put a 70cc top end on and really get a boost, while it still looks and is registered as a 50cc. My son races motocross and when he was little raced 65cc two strokes and some of those bikes are way faster than a four stroke 50cc engine.

As far as I know, Colorado's only requirement is it has to be 50cc or less to qualify as a scooter. Some states have speed limits of 35mph max or it no longer qualifies as a scooter and becomes a motorcycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my 49cc Metropolitan to 50mph with fairly simple upgrades. There is a messageboard for these things.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Feb 7, 18 9:39
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CO does have a speed limit for scooters, engine limited to 30mph and speed limited to 40mph where there are higher posted speed limits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you can have mine if you are willing to get it from my home in Long Beach, replace the computer and seat. I will even through in a cable lock and poncho for raining days. That will save you more money and help me get rid of it. I am serious.

Quote | Reply
Gay, but I understand the financial incentive.

Quote | Reply
I can tear shit up in the 50cc division in Mario Kart.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 50CC Scooter Experts on here? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Gay, but I understand the financial incentive.

When I'm not riding my "gay" 50, I have something with a little more pep in the tank.

And a 450

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are over compensating.