Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Liberty team chief quits in wake of Heras case
Quote | Reply
MADRID, Dec 14 (Reuters) - The president of the Liberty Seguros cycling team Manuel Pinera has decided to step down from his post in the wake of the Roberto Heras doping case.

"I'm leaving because there are things I do not agree with and that I cannot change even though I am president of the team," Pinera was quoted as saying in Spanish sports daily AS on Wednesday.

Pinera, who is the majority shareholder in the Active Bay company that runs the team, said he would be selling his shares to partners Manolo Saiz and Pablo Anton, who direct the Spanish-based outfit.

But Pinera said he did not believe that his resignation endangered the future of the team, which is sponsored by insurance giant Liberty.

"I'm sure the sponsorship of the team will continue," he said. "I'm convinced that we have the best squad of riders in the world."

Heras, who won a record fourth Tour of Spain in September, tested positive for the banned blood booster erythropoietin (EPO) after the penultimate stage of this year's race.

The 31-year-old Liberty rider says he has never taken any banned substance and is appealing against the result of the test.

Liberty Seguros was formed out of the remnants of the ONCE cycling outfit when the Spanish charity for the blind withdrew from the sport in 2003.

Quote Reply