Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new short sleeved tri top this season. I've used the DeSoto skin cooler before and loved it, I may go with another in a different color pattern (any DeSoto discount codes floating out there by any chance?) I just tried the Castelli T1 Stealth top, loved that one too but the zipper wouldn't stay in place and slid half way down my torso any time I moved my arms or jogged in place. What's the ST community using these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also a fan of the De Soto tri tops. There is just something about the materials they use that I can't find in other triathlon clothing. I don't know of any discount codes at this time, but they have some of last year's models in the sale section.

During shorter races I sometimes use my club's Zoot top. It performs pretty well on the bike, but tends to ride up a little bit on the run.

My advice, if you find something that works great, stick with it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the DeSoto top! I love the skin cooler as I'm in a hot climate... Don't think there are any active discounts right now other than 15% for signing up for the mailing list... if you're already on that, codes come around pretty frequently if you have time to wait.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the DeSoto tops, both the skin cooler Blue Hive (no zipper) and the full zip top. Also love the Fusion Sports USA tops. Both are nice and long in back, no riding up, no burned back right above your shorts.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very good suggestions for you. but in case you want to try another option, dont hesitate to check our sleeved Spider tops. from what we hear, athletes like shoulder flexibility and snug feel.
that said, again, any previous suggestions offered to you deserves accolades.
best,

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
Looking for a new short sleeved tri top this season. I've used the DeSoto skin cooler before and loved it, I may go with another in a different color pattern (any DeSoto discount codes floating out there by any chance?) I just tried the Castelli T1 Stealth top, loved that one too but the zipper wouldn't stay in place and slid half way down my torso any time I moved my arms or jogged in place. What's the ST community using these days?

+4 On the DeSoto. I've tried quite a few tops, and the skin cooler always comes out on top.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:
very good suggestions for you. but in case you want to try another option, dont hesitate to check our sleeved Spider tops. from what we hear, athletes like shoulder flexibility and snug feel.
that said, again, any previous suggestions offered to you deserves accolades.
best,

Hey Andre - I sent you an email yesterday about the difference between the kona wings and spider tops, did you get it?

Thanks,
Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto. .....
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very different material. Kona wing is a softer feel whereas the spider is more “papery” feeling. I love the spider trisuit as it feels fast in the water but I couldn’t fit into the tri top as I’m a biggish guy. Kona Wing is really only a long course type jersey. I probably wouldn’t recommend for shorter course. As others said, De Soto is solid too.

If you have any interest in comparably priced and high quality, custom tri tops (I have no financial interest in the product), send me a message for more info.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 23, 18 17:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a 1 piece suit? I find them infinitely more comfortable than 2 pieces (I too had the DeSoto top, also their Flisuit). After racing in a Castelli Free San Remo suit most of last year, I can't imagine anything being more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only ever worn a one piece, but for my first full, I'm switching over to a two piece. Several reasons.

First, my coaching group/team is only offering two piece, and I felt slightly obligated to wear it.

Second, I have a running singlet to change into for the run to be confortable.

Third, I had to use the restroom for the first time in a race during a 70.3. Wasn't impossible in a one piece, but a 2 piece would be easier.

Lastly, it opens up a lot of options for a top to wear on the bike. I could even wear a fast cycling only top as I have no intention of wearing it under my swimskin/wetsuit or on the run.

I'll be paying attention to the thread as I was looking at the castelli top. I love all my castelli cycling tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hello and sorry for the slow reply. I would be happy to give you and any De Soto customer on the ST forum a discount on your next order. Just send me a PM or an email to:

emilio@desotosport.com.

I am also happy to answer any questions you may have. If your Skin Cooler Short Sleeve top is from 2016 or older, we do have some improvements to the one you own. We are now using Skin Cooler Octovent that stretches in all 4 directions so the fit remains snug, but less compressive.

We have some cool new designs too:

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the zipper tab pointed down on your Castelli top? I thought I had the same problem on a bike jersey. turns out pointing the zipper tap down will lock in in place, but if it's not the zipper doesn't work

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may have been it, too late though. I already sent it back and got a new DeSoto top.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Emilio, ordered the White Arcencial top a couple weeks ago, been racing in your stuff for a few years now and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for Castelli. I've never had issues with the zipper. Supper comfortable too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so very much for your loyalty. Let me know when you are ready to order again, I will take good care of you.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve tried them all, castelli cant be beat, best blend of top notch aerofabrics and comfort.

mattyboy wrote:
Have you tried a 1 piece suit? I find them infinitely more comfortable than 2 pieces (I too had the DeSoto top, also their Flisuit). After racing in a Castelli Free San Remo suit most of last year, I can't imagine anything being more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wondering what is the best with a protective zipper? I have a lg m2 that causes major irritation in the zipper area with anything over the Olympic distance. Does de Soto have anything that prevents the inside zipper from irritating the skin?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Short Sleeved men's tri top? [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transgress4 wrote:
I am wondering what is the best with a protective zipper? I have a lg m2 that causes major irritation in the zipper area with anything over the Olympic distance. Does de Soto have anything that prevents the inside zipper from irritating the skin?

Emilio may chime in with a more technical answer, but ill give you my take:

The first time I bought a De Soto top (6 years ago) I noticed that there was nothing protecting my neck from the top of the zipper. Most of the other tops I had seen or used always had a piece of cloth or something at the top of the zipper. So, I contacted De Soto to ask why there was nothing there and if it would irritate my skin. I don't remember the exact reply, they mentioned something about design and then basically said to 'just try it'. So I did, and never had any issues with the zipper. FYI, since then, De Soto has added a zipper protector to the top of their athletic apparel.

To answer your question, I don't believe there is anything special on the inside of the actual zipper to protect your skin. I can tell you that De Soto uses high quality zippers (YKK) and that I have never had an issue with rubbing or irritation of my skin.

If I had to guess, I would say that your specific tri top probably just has a defect that slipped through QA/QC rather than a design flaw. This kind of problem happens much less often with a small company like De Soto who can oversee all manufacturing operations because 95% of their products are made in the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that toastygloveman hit the nail right on the head. In response to your question, De Soto Sport does put a little "Zipper Garage" fabric cover over our zippers. The reason we do it is not because people have gotten irritation from our zippers in the past, but rather because of the PERCEPTION or FEAR that they might. Some garments have it on the bottom only, because the top is not an issue due to the low finishing point of the zipper closure, while other garments have it on the top since the neck is high like on our Poly Pro Thermal Top.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the replies. What I am talking about is the zipper track that makes contact with your skin. The actually zipper is not the problem. The tritop may get wet and I get severe irritation with it. I think lg even recognized this and changed with the new lg course trisuit( but no single piece top) . Emilio I am definitely interested in your products and people seem to have no issues with it. Basically looking for an aero as possible top for Ironman that doesn’t leave me with wounds lol. 6ft 184lb with long torso and broad shoulders, sizing?
In Reply To:
. I would appreciate a discount code if you are offering one thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 6ft 184 you are most likely going to be a size large, but if you send me the following I can be more accurate:

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
CHEST (measured as the largest part of circumference right over the pectoral muscle)
WAIST (circumference measured at the belly-button line - this is NOT the same as your pants waist size)
HIPS (circumference measured at the widest point, NOT at your hips where your belt may go. typically this will measure just a few inches below your hips bones and around the largest part of the glutes)

As for your concern about the zipper, are you saying you have had this issue in the past with our product?
Or is this something that has happened to you with other products?
Or is this a perception or fear that it may happen?

I only ask the above because you say "the tri top may get wet......"

Emilio De Soto II
Last edited by: Emilio: Feb 15, 18 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ht: 6ft
Wt:184
Chest: 38
Waist: 34
Hips:39

Sorry for not being more clear but no I am talking about my LG m2 tritop. Have not used desoto product. I have basically gotten welts in my chest just below sternum whenever I do events more than Olympic. Become painful during run and painful a week after. I wear the LG top in the swim, sweat quite a bit and Water gets on during the run after dumping water over my head on hot races. Thank you for the help. I like using 2 pieces sleeved but wanted a better product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:

How did you find the sizing of the Free San Remo suit, was this the sleeved version? I have worn men's medium in all my other Castelli (and virtually everything) items.
Quote Reply