Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lack of stability/steering while aero
Quote | Reply
I recently got a tri bike and have been getting acclimated to riding in the aero position. I feel significantly less stable with my steering while in the aero position. I ride on narrow, country roads that have no shoulder. On a road bike, I am comfortable hugging the white line in traffic. On the tri bike, I feel as though I'm swerving all over the place (and, comparatively, I am). Any suggestions?

Herston Roskind, PLC
Herston on Tennessee Family Law
Quote Reply
Re: lack of stability/steering while aero [KO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we all went through this. If possible, find flatter open country roads (i.e., low traffic) to practice on a bit until you get the hang of it. Then work your way up to turns and the like. After a while, you'll feel comfortable enough to do 90 turns in aero if you feel like it. I think I can actually ride a straighter line in aero than I can upright on the bullhorns (okay, probably not, but it's close).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, keep riding. This will get more natural in time, but tri bikes (even with a good fit) do not handle as good as road bikes since your weight is more over the front and there is usually a shorter wheelbase

Quote | Reply
I'm gonna take a stab at it [correct me if i'm wrong guy's] ... you could try moving your elbow pads out a tad to get more stability from your arms....as your riding level increases move them back in....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About how long will it take before I have confidence in my steering?

I'm ready to start enjoying the scenery again instead of constantly worrying about whether I'm going to weave off the road or weave into traffic. OK, it's not quite that bad but it is a huge difference from riding a road bike, in my (limited) experience.

Herston Roskind, PLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get someone to take a picture of you on the bike on the trainer and post the picture here so we can criticize your home decorating style in the background. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tri bike will likely feel a little less stable at first but you seem to describe an excessive amount of instability. Might be a fit issue. What kind of tri bike are you riding? Is it a steep seat tube angle tri bike or a road bike set up for tri? How long is your stem?

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: lack of stability/steering while aero [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 2003 Cervelo P3 and was fitted for me by a FIST-certified fitter. The setup is aggressive but I really think the fit is right.

It's not like I'm swerving all over the road. I'm just nowhere near as confident steering it in the aero position as compared to an upright position on a road bike. I'm hoping it will pass SOON because, after today's ride, I'm really questioning whether I can continue to ride aero on these narrow roads.

Herston Roskind, PLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly as already been said - give it some time. Your tri bike will never feel as stable as your road bike but the more you ride it, the more confident you'll become.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three comments:

1) Give it at least 100 miles. I think a day will soon come when you won't even realize you are in the aero position because you won't be feeling nervous.

2) I can practically fall asleep on the aero bars, however, whenever I am in a high traffic situation with no shoulder, I always it up for both brake access and for better handling/response times.

3) On the steering business, I suggest mentally picturing steering with your elbows and forearms when riding. The distance from the elbow pads to the stem is a lot shorter and the physics results in a lot less effort needed to make a steering change.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: lack of stability/steering while aero [6cuda6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm gonna take a stab at it [correct me if i'm wrong guy's] ... you could try moving your elbow pads out a tad to get more stability from your arms....as your riding level increases move them back in....[/reply]

My LBS set my bike with the aerobars wider at first. I gradually narrowed it, over time. I also started out riding at the Rose Bowl where there is lots of leeway. Also, practice getting in and out of the aerobars, so you can jump on the brakes ASAP when you have to.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I guess there is no "shortcut." Dang it!

Herston Roskind, PLC
Quote Reply