Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those who have had a pet cremated
Quote | Reply
Do they permit foreign, sentimental objects to be cremated with them?

My 13.5 yo silky terrier Mila is sitting up staring at the start of the rainbow bridge. She has had Cushings for some time and as a consequence has been very overweight. She was diagnosed a few weeks back with lymphoma and the speed at which she has gone downhill is remarkable. Though her enlarged spleen still makes her appear ā€˜fatā€™ her spine and hollows at other locations are pronounced. Having previously been a dog for which food never touched the sides of her throat on the way down she wonā€™t even eat now. She picks up food and then drops it, like there is pain to chew. She drinks water but often heaves it back up. I saw in the New Year sleeping on the tiled floor with her but she was very unsettled and would spend more time sitting up then laying down. This is Mila last night:

About five weeks ago we lost one of my parents Silkies whilst they were on holiday. I looked after her in her final days and in what has now become a recent tradition, I built her a casket. I suggested to my kids that they might like to decorate the lid with farewell messages to help with the grieving process. They relished the opportunity:

Iā€™d like to do the same for Mila but Iā€™m also thinking of having her cremated as I donā€™t really have a suitable resting place at this point in time. Iā€™m wondering whether pet cremation facilities permit cremation in a home made casket filled with other sentimental items such as photos, kids notes, blanket etc? I realise this sounds weird to many but Iā€™m thinking the thought of her being cremated might be easier on the kids if they imagined her in the box rather than loosely placed. I suppose the alternative might be building and decorating an urn.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on the facility. Unfortunately, we have lost 4 dogs over the years and had all of them cremated. I know this sounds unpleasant, but, most facilities cremate multiple animals at one time. Thus, the ashes you receive are mixed with those of other beloved pets. This is how most vet clinics operate.

There are places that perform individual cremation and permit you to include items with your pet. That was not an available option at our former vet. It is an option at our current vet. However, this is the exception and not readily available in all locations. We have never gone that route.

Sorry you are going through this. Never easy. Best to you and the family.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so sorry you are having to let her go. we have had to let go of 2 cats, and 3 dogs. all had a private cremation.

you could help your kids with creating an urn. or a wooden box to hold the ashes.

sending thoughts for an easy passing
Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I did note one of the local facilities talking about the difference between communal and ā€˜privateā€™ cremations (offering both options). I just didnā€™t see anything about foreign materials.

Iā€™ve lived through 8 family dogs and five cats passing. This is the first of my ā€˜ownā€™ pets to go, so more personal. Sadly this one has always been a timid girl. We got her at about 8 weeks and as much love as she has received over the years, has always seemed to flinch when you approach her. Food was always her great distraction!

My cousin is a vet and will come around to put her to sleep at my parents place. Most likely tomorrow. Will put her in a stroller and take her for a ā€˜walkā€™ around the local park today for old times sake.
Last edited by: mv2005: Dec 31, 17 16:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had may pets go over the rainbow bridge and it never gets any easier.

I have no idea about your question but wanted to send love and hugs to your baby.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not weird at all. I've only had one of my pets cremated and didn't get ashes back for the reasons JSA mentioned. But your kids don't have to know that they aren't just your pet's ashes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 2 years ago, i said goodbye to my best friend of 16 years. Had the vet come out to the house and we all said our goodbyes and held her as she passed. The vet then made everyone a paw impression, and had a private cremation.

The vet was incredibly compassionate and empathetic. It cost more to do that at home but worth it to not have my kids, and myself, bawling our eyes out at the clinic. I highly recommend going this route to anyone if necessary.

We got her ashes back in a nice wooden box . I framed her paw print in a shadow box frame and it sits on a shelf with her collar. I miss that girl so much.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I teared up just reading that.

I've got a 16 month old shepherd/husky, and I love that pup to death. She is my first dog, and when I got her, I had no idea how strong the dog/human bond could be. She is a fantastic companion and makes me smile every day.

I don't know when her time will come, but it honestly hurts even just thinking about it!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Man, I teared up just reading that.

I've got a 16 month old shepherd/husky, and I love that pup to death. She is my first dog, and when I got her, I had no idea how strong the dog/human bond could be. She is a fantastic companion and makes me smile every day.

I don't know when her time will come, but it honestly hurts even just thinking about it!

Honestly i teared up posting it. I was 39 when she died. 16 years was 41% of my life. Quite a bit of time we shared. We backpacked together in half of the u.s. from the mountains in new mexico, to the bwca. She absolutely loved the outdoors as much as i do.

Enjoy your time with your dog, even when they annoy you because when theyre gone, those annoyances will make you laugh miss them more

Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Not weird at all. I've only had one of my pets cremated and didn't get ashes back for the reasons JSA mentioned. But your kids don't have to know that they aren't just your pet's ashes.

Found out that at least one of the local places do offer private cremations (i.e. only one animal at a time) and have no issues with her being in the casket we made, which is great news.

She passed at about 2:30pm. It was a very hard decision to make as she was still very alert with her eyes, ears and head, it was just her body letting her down and her former, ravenous appetite had vanished. She seemed to enjoy the walk around the park (pushed in pet stroller by three kids) and was taking it all in. She looked like royalty with an umbrella held over her head to shade from the summer sun.

When the time finally came my cousin (vet) had us first leave the room to ensure she could install a line into her leg. This meant we could remain in the room during the injection vs the alternative (direct injection). The hardest part was us all walking back in and her looking at us all wondering what all the attention was about. We all knelt down around her and stroked her. I had my hand under the chin and within about 15 seconds of seeing the fluid pass in, felt her head go heavy in my hand. I like to think that the feeling of believing she had another few days in her indicates we made the right decision as to timing. With my parents dog, mentioned previously, we had tried to hold on until they returned from holiday and consequently she looked much more distressed.

The comfort I take now is knowing she is no longer suffering, but it's still hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss, mv

Our buddy Finn, went suddenly last winter; Peekaboo, the summer before

The two losses were enough to change D'Kid's mind about becoming a vet

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man...starting the year with such a sad post. So sorry for you and the kids. Just awful..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm truly sorry for your loss.

We had our 15 year old border collie put to rest about three weeks ago. The doubts, the second-guessing, and the lingering regrets that you may have over the event cannot overshadow the simple fact that you made the right decision for your pup. Our girl was still physically capable (slow, but mobile), and that made the decision difficult. However, she was almost totally blind, totally deaf, and a stint of seizures at 14 rapidly depleted her mental capacity. In short, she was alive, but she wasn't herself any longer.

Our kids are 10 and 11, so they only ever knew life with her around. They were able to appreciate the situation, but they had a hard time grasping onto the sudden permanence. To ease their struggle, we focused on all of the good times that we had with her, and the fact that she was rescued at 6 weeks old from certain misery in a run-down "shelter" outside of San Antonio. We gave her the best life possible, and she lived long and (primarily) happy. It appears that you did the same, and that is really the greatest consolation of all!

For Christmas, we sponsored a border collie at a local rescue in her memory. They're extremely difficult dogs to place, and we have an organization nearby that specifically caters to the breed (and its mixes). It turned out to be everyone's favorite gift. It also prevented us from jumping straight into "bringing home" another rescue. Like you, we're a dog family. They're not furniture, they're members of the clan.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it all done in the one day (at a premium) as we just wanted her home and not stored in some factory for a few days. We chose to drive her up there and bring her home to be as involved as possible. 8yo daughter and 4yo son came with me. The latter gave me a few ā€˜awwwā€™ moments. On the way home he started off nursing the box urn and I saw him looking out the window stroking the box in his lap. Later, when their mother called them for dinner Ihe apparently walked into the living room, walked over to the urn and said ā€œHi Milaā€ before stroking the box then turning to his two siblings at the table and saying He guys, say hi to Milaā€.

As much as the older two struggled with the cremation concept I think having her visibly present will be best for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Got it all done in the one day (at a premium) as we just wanted her home and not stored in some factory for a few days. We chose to drive her up there and bring her home to be as involved as possible. 8yo daughter and 4yo son came with me. The latter gave me a few ā€˜awwwā€™ moments. On the way home he started off nursing the box urn and I saw him looking out the window stroking the box in his lap. Later, when their mother called them for dinner Ihe apparently walked into the living room, walked over to the urn and said ā€œHi Milaā€ before stroking the box then turning to his two siblings at the table and saying He guys, say hi to Milaā€.

As much as the older two struggled with the cremation concept I think having her visibly present will be best for them.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Our kids are 10 and 11, so they only ever knew life with her around

My, at the time, 6 and 18 year olds were in the same boat. We had gotten the dog when my daughter was 2 and they never remembered life without the dog. It was quite a painful day. 2 years later and my daughter still posts phitos of her on facebook!

Quote Reply
Re: For those who have had a pet cremated [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Our kids are 10 and 11, so they only ever knew life with her around

My, at the time, 6 and 18 year olds were in the same boat. We had gotten the dog when my daughter was 2 and they never remembered life without the dog. It was quite a painful day. 2 years later and my daughter still posts phitos of her on facebook!

Sentimental kids will hold onto things longer and generally take a bit more time to get over the hump. My daughter is the older of our two, but she's far more sentimental than my son. We had some very difficult moments over the first couple of days, but after about a week they both returned to their regular dispositions. It actually took longer for the cat to come around. I can't sit down for two seconds without the cat finding me and jumping into my lap. For nearly two weeks, she wouldn't come near me.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences for your loss..and for all of you. And it doesnā€™t get easier..just harder.
We have been so lucky with our dogs..took risks getting every one..and all have been so so special. They have included two Berners,three Leonbergers,couple of Labs and a labpoodle mix. We re down to the mix and miss the bigger dogs..but the loss of the last Leo back last June has just set me down..I havenā€™t coped well with Bomz leaving. He was a dog of such joy and I appreciate all the joy I can find. He never let your return go without a party,a celebration of reunion,the jumping,the leaping..itd get kinda old,but do I certainly miss it now. He was our first to die on his own,btw cancer sucks(took all our big dogs before ten years old),he was so doped up and not moving well so we knew that tomorrow was it...but he came on in the living room,laid down at my feet,I bent down kissed his head,and he rested easy,and in just a couple of minutes stopped breathing and was gone. So quietly....and Iā€™m a mess yet.
Theyā€™ve all been cremated and I have instructions that some of their ashes go in with mine ... that makes me feel a little better.
And oh,I had a colonoscopy couple of years ago,and when waking up the dream I was having was being with all my dogs some of whom had died,and we were on a beach..so it was like being at the Rainbow Bridge at the beach..it was quite wonderful.
But cheers,and hug your doggies tonight..RE
Quote Reply