Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw that but thanks for the sanity check.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc. 11-23. This is definitely a course where you could be in the same gear for 40k and the 16t and 18t (that you add when going from 11-28 to 11-23 in Shimano) are gears that you could very likely want to be in for that 40k. You won't need the climbing gears, so better to increase your chances of having that perfect gear.

Another tip would be to know exactly what you need from the aid stations on the bike. I remember going through the first one at over 50km/h and by the the time I remember that I needed Gatorade, I was well passed the Gatorade. Came back to hit me big time later in the race. Probably good to have a back up plan on the aid stations in case you miss the hand off.

Also I would some long flat ride in the aerobars to get used to being in that position for 90 k and made sure everything is dialed.

Like someone said on the run there are a ton of 90 degree and 180 degree turns on the run course. So not a bad idea to throw some of those in training to get used to that lack of rhythm. I might also have a cue that I tell myself every 180. Like "crushing it" or "Catching them" or something to keep the good vibes and energy up! Good Luck!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [RBeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBeck wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
This will be my first 70.3 and looking forward to it. As I live south of Houston, I’m planning to drive up that morning. How early would you recommend arriving to the Moody Garden’s area, given the traffic to get in?

Also, slightly related, but what do you with your transition bag? Seems like there won’t be enough room to leave it in transition.

Transition bag you can leave with a friend or put back in your car.

I'd make every effort to just stay the night in Galveston, can't advise on the time, I think transition usually opens ~5:30, closes ~6:15-6:30, should be in the athlete guide. You can work backwards from there.

Side note to this...unless you get there VERY early, you will not be parking right around transition. You will probably be at the water park which is at least 1/2 mile away. In other words, it might not be practical to plan on going back to your car with your transition bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna be a tough go for the 40-44 males this year being at the very tail end of the swim. Lots of traffic on the bike with virtually everyone in front of you. "ON YOUR LEFT!"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [I_Tri_4_Sanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. As stated above, they swap it yearly, last year it was M45-49 going off late and M40-44 early. Most of my buddies are in one of those two AGs and one group is always going off an hour before the other. I'm loving the M45-49 life this year. Less congestion on the bike and on the first 1-2 laps of that 3-loop run. The run gets very congested between 11am-12pm, with people of all speeds on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas tips, advise, etc. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes absolutely no sense but oh well. I was in the early group last year so its only fitting I be in the later this year. I couldn't agree more about the run, seemed like from about 11 on it was a pretty packed course. Oh well, bring it Galveston!!

On the plus side I think with the sun being higher with the later start the glare shouldn't be to bad this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next