Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL Week 15 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that basically allows for an infinite number of legitimate catches (real world catches, though not NFL Catches, apparently) where a player can make the catch, perform a Football Move, and still be hit with an Incomplete Pass ruling when the ball moves a millimeter on contact with the ground.

That's good sport. Excellent work, NFL.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 15 [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The discussion is not about whether the rule is stupid or not. I think everyone in this thread agreed already, Pats fans included.
The discussion is whether this was a catch according to the rule book. And it just isn't because he was never a runner (and that, regardless of how it is defined, unless you count running on your knees or on your stomach as running)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's good sport. Excellent work, NFL.

I think it was a new official, seeing the rulebook, that coined the phrase, "it is a game of inches."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The discussion is not about whether the rule is stupid or not. I think everyone in this thread agreed already, Pats fans included.
The discussion is whether this was a catch according to the rule book. And it just isn't because he was never a runner (and that, regardless of how it is defined, unless you count running on your knees or on your stomach as running)...

That doesn't count? damn, not an ironman then....
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 15 [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Return that finisher shirt now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So that basically allows for an infinite number of legitimate catches (real world catches, though not NFL Catches, apparently) where a player can make the catch, perform a Football Move, and still be hit with an Incomplete Pass ruling when the ball moves a millimeter on contact with the ground.

That's good sport. Excellent work, NFL. "

I should add that the point of the rule isn't to prevent touchdowns that people want to be touchdowns. Its to prevent fumbles that people don't want to be fumbles. 99% of the time people would rather that be an incomplete pass than a fumble. The only reason this is even an issue is because so many people want to see a game end on an amazing comeback play like that.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 15 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"So that basically allows for an infinite number of legitimate catches (real world catches, though not NFL Catches, apparently) where a player can make the catch, perform a Football Move, and still be hit with an Incomplete Pass ruling when the ball moves a millimeter on contact with the ground.

That's good sport. Excellent work, NFL. "

I should add that the point of the rule isn't to prevent touchdowns that people want to be touchdowns. Its to prevent fumbles that people don't want to be fumbles. 99% of the time people would rather that be an incomplete pass than a fumble. The only reason this is even an issue is because so many people want to see a game end on an amazing comeback play like that.

Would those people be wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs? Or the entire offensive side of the NFL?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I should add that the point of the rule isn't to prevent touchdowns that people want to be touchdowns. Its to prevent fumbles that people don't want to be fumbles.

Then this is a pretty clear example of how to address both problems at once, since he never lost control of the ball, even though it moved when he hit the ground. Seems like a reasonable adjustment could be made for that aspect of possession: if a player makes a catch and a football move, and has yet to establish himself as a runner, then loss of possession of the ball on contact with the ground constitutes a fumble; if he retains control having made the catch and a football move, regardless of whether the ball moves on contact with the ground, it remains a catch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Progress.

Quote:
Al Riveron, the league’s director of officiating, revealed Wednesday afternoon on Twitter the new three-step process for determining a catch that the competition committee will recommend to the owners:

1. Control
2. Two feet down or another body part
3. A football move such as:
- A third step
- Reaching/extending for the line-to-gain
- Or the ability to perform such an act

The proposed language does not include the phrase “survive the ground,” that was at the heart of some of the confusion last season.

http://www.msn.com/...mkt5R&ocid=ientp

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can still see issues with defining control.
Quote Reply

Prev Next