Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd:
Quote | Reply
For those of you in the Michigan area, Gene Edwards, race director of the Grosse Ile Island Duathlon, has designed a new course for the 2004 race on May 22nd. The course uses the entire length of the island, including Parke Lane in front of the late millionare Hienz Precter's house. Gene has unprecidented access to the entire island this year. Transition area will be in the City Council building parking lot next to the U.S. Naval Reserve Hanger at Grosse Ile Airport. The City of Grosse Ile has not only pledged their full support, but is providing police, a new transition area and finish venue. I have toured the course in detail and it is superb.

Entry will be on "Sign Me Up" sports.com soon. We hope to see you there.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are the current details on the new course, photos fro previous events and a detailed map:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/.../grosseile2004.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very excited about this event. I know every nuance of the bike course since I do almost all of my riding on the Island, and I am familiar with the run course since I have run that section of the Island several times.

My wife and brother-in-law grew up on the Island, and both are commiting to doing this race. It will be their first multi-sport event, which adds to the excitement.

I have one question, why did Gene decide to take the bike course up and back E. River rather than going north on E. River, and South on W. River?

Just curious, I realize there are many things that go into the decision making process of a race course. Regardless of what parts of the Island are traveled I am very much looking forward to this race.

Thanks for the info,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd: [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent question. We rolled around a number of ideas for Grosse Ile including making it longer. Ultimately, the things we were most concerned about are the number of intersecting streets and driveways that empty onto the bike course. The more there are, the more risk. We wanted to avoid any additional exposure to automobile traffic while still incorporating the beautiful North end of the island. That meant coming back the same way we went out. Also, it requires fewer Police vehicles to use the same stretch of road twice, and competitors get to see their competition going and coming.

We decided to keep the event short to continue to make it attractive to first time athletes. There are also huge improvements in the transition area and run course. The date should also give a break on the weather too.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/grosseile2004.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I contest to the fact that the Grosse Ile race is great for the first timer, I was one of those in 1997. Thanks to that race and the help of you and your staff, the triathlon bug took a hold of me and has not let go since. If anything "it" has just dug in a little deeper. Now 5 years later and about 65 pounds lighter I can look back and say thanks to both you and Gene for changing my life. I' glad to see the race back this year. Oh by the way, this will be my wifes first multi-sport event also.

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd: [jkmorrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been years at Grosse Ile when 45% of the field were first timers. That is why the event is important to us. It brings people into the sport.

For some reason first timers feel non-intimidated there, and we have tried to preserve that.

I can;t tell you how excited I am about the new bike course. It absolutely rules. The race producers don;t know it, but I'm thinking about doing it myself. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

If you do it, I'll do it...c'mon everyone is doing it.

Do I get a prize for having my bike split faster than my run?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: New Course at Grosse Ile Duathlon on May 22nd: [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't want you to do it. You're too fast. You should work while I do it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply