Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Houston Marathon
Quote | Reply
Question for those of you who have done Houston. Do you know if they have gel packs on the course. Website says Gatorade but no mention of gels. This is my first, but it seems a race of this distance should have.

If not, any suggestions on carrying them? I tried the little pockets from fuelbelt attached to a race belt, but they werent secure enough and bounced a lot. I would like to have 6-7 with me.

Also any suggestions on Friday night, Saturday sight seeing? Thinking about checking out the Space Station if it doesnt require me being on my feet all day Saturday. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Marathon [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of carrying 6 or 7 individual packets, you could go with a gel flask, and keep that in your Fuel Belt (or carry it in one hand). I think the regular Fuel Belt bottles might work fine for gel, too.

Good luck, and have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Question for those of you who have done Houston. Do you know if they have gel packs on the course. Website says Gatorade but no mention of gels. This is my first, but it seems a race of this distance should have.

If not, any suggestions on carrying them? I tried the little pockets from fuelbelt attached to a race belt, but they werent secure enough and bounced a lot. I would like to have 6-7 with me.

Also any suggestions on Friday night, Saturday sight seeing? Thinking about checking out the Space Station if it doesnt require me being on my feet all day Saturday. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dennis,

How fast do you plan to run? I honestly can't imagine why you would need 7 gels. From what I understand, I'll burn roughly 1000 cal/hour at race pace, so I'll need 3000 calories. If you run slower, you burn at a slower rate, and it will still roughly come out at 3000 or so (unless you are much larger than me). You should have well over 2000 of calories easily available as glycogen, and possibly more. You'll also be utilizing some fat, even early in the race, so count on a few hundred there. You will be drinking gatorade, and will get a few hundred there as well. So, you really shouldn't need more than maybe 2-4 gels. I just ran one a week ago and used gels at 7, 13 and 19, and even that was overkill. If you're big, you burn more, but also store more glycogen.

Put 2 or 3 in your pocket and go run. If they have them on the course, then just go run.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Marathon [VM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Dennis,

How fast do you plan to run? I honestly can't imagine why you would need 7 gels. From what I understand, I'll burn roughly 1000 cal/hour at race pace, so I'll need 3000 calories. If you run slower, you burn at a slower rate, and it will still roughly come out at 3000 or so (unless you are much larger than me). You should have well over 2000 of calories easily available as glycogen, and possibly more. You'll also be utilizing some fat, even early in the race, so count on a few hundred there. You will be drinking gatorade, and will get a few hundred there as well. So, you really shouldn't need more than maybe 2-4 gels. I just ran one a week ago and used gels at 7, 13 and 19, and even that was overkill. If you're big, you burn more, but also store more glycogen.

Put 2 or 3 in your pocket and go run. If they have them on the course, then just go run.[/reply]

I am shooting for under 3:45. I'm 5'11" 165 #'s. I was planning on one every 4 miles as this is similar to what I have done on my 1/2 mary's and 1/2 iron's (more soilds on the bike though). I have been using 1 every 5 miles on my long runs. Too much Gatorade seems to give me gas and stomach cramps. I can use Gu at this rate without stomach problems. It may be overkill, but I am afraid of the bonking.

Thanks,

Dennis
Last edited by: dennisr: Dec 12, 05 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, gels are not provided on the course. You may see some being handed out for TinT folks or the like, but not for everyone else. On the other hand, Budweiser does hand out 6 oz cans of beer at mile 20.

Space Center Houston is pretty nice but a) you will be on your feet, and b) it's not in Houston. It's in Clear Lake, about 40 miles south of Houston. Houston has pretty good museums, arts, restaraunts, etc. Where are you staying?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years near the 20 mile point they have had gel handouts. I have gone to the space center only once and did not think much of it. Geared towards young people mostly. While not a big tourist destination, Houston does have some very good museums.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Marathon [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on't forget that you'll be running at a higher pace than in your long runs, so absorption will not be as great.

There's certainly nothing wrong with going with one every 5 miles, but if it means wearing a race belt or carrying extra crap, I'd definitely opt for lighter.
Quote Reply