Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

snowshoes?
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about buying some snowshoes to spice up the training routine. I live in NW Ohio and have access to some farm fields that would be great to snowshoe in because they are scenic and have rolling hills. My question is, how much snow do you really need to have to use snowshoes? Our typical snow storms dump anywhere from 2-6 inches.

I guess what I was really thinking was, if I'm running in a field that is used for farming and is a bit rough, how much snow do I need so I don't twist an ankle or something?
Last edited by: mcombs: Dec 12, 05 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: snowshoes? [mcombs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much really... In fact, it is harder when the snow is deeper. Snowshoes vary widely depending on what you want to use them for as well as your size. Generally if you are heavier and/or are in deeper snow you need larger shoes. Likewise if you are going to run/workout in them and you are mostly in shallow snow or hardpack you can get smaller ones that don't flop around as much... Hard packed snowmobile trails work really well. Now if you have 2 inches over bare ground, you probably don't need shoes in that case.

Check out these companies for some quality shoes and hints on the type of shoe for a given activity.

http://www.tubbssnowshoes.com/catalyst.php

http://www.redfeather.com/products.php

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Dec 12, 05 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some MSR Denali shoes. They are a good price and can take the abuse if you have to go over a muddy spot. Get the flotation tails, too. Campmor.com used to have them for a great price. I'm sure there are others and they may be less.

Here it is:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39162147
$94 for the shoe. $25 for the tail (which you will need if it iis really soft or deep.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Dec 12, 05 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a good thread on this recently if you search.

Just search for "Tubbs Catalyst" and you should find it. The Tubbs Catalyst is a great running snowshoe.

Snowshoeing is a great workout that translates very, very well to regular running. You can run in the Catalysts with 6" of snowfall (which would pack down to only an inch or so, so really very little). I am sure you'll be fine with what has already fallen.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some older Redfeather snowshoes that are great. They were the Sport or Fitness model, one step below the racing shoes with ti talons. I just got my girlfriend the new Redfeather racing shoes, and they are very similar, just a little lighter.

The best price I found was $178.75 at http://www.snowshack.com/redrunracsno.html

You only need a couple inches of snow, so the talons are digging into the dirt. The smaller racing shoes are fine for most conditions, but they aren't made for packed hiking into the back country.

You should come up to Traverse City for the Bigfoot Boogie on Jan. 28. http://www.runsnow.com/ it's a qualifier for the Nationals.
Last edited by: efernand: Dec 12, 05 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: snowshoes? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After running 11 miles in the slush yesterday, I am considering some running snowshoes. Do you need the poles? Is there a technique to it? Is hilly terrain necessary? Living in Chicago, there are almost no hills.

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to snowshoes. Is xc skiing a better idea/workout? A friend of mine recommended the snowshoes, he said that the xc skiis are too much effort, the snowshoes go on quickly and in about a 1/2 hour your legs are thrashed.

Thanks for all the info..
Quote Reply
Re: snowshoes? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can run, you can snowshoe. It took me about 25 seconds to get used to running in them. Poles are not necessary (I've never used them), and hills are also not necessary.

I like them because it's less of a production than XC skiis. Just the snowshoes, they can be packed and used anywhere, no need to worry about XC trails or technique. Plus, I don't have the co-ordination for XC skiis...guess that's why a friend of mine calls them the "misery sticks".
Quote Reply
Re: snowshoes? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it that much tougher to run in snowshoes? I looked up the results for that race and was surprised at how slow the times seemed. Is it a really hilly course? It sounds like fun but a 6-8 hour drive doesn't sound too fun!

Anybody know of any races around Northwest Ohio?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course last year had a lot of fresh snow, and was rolling and cross country in style.

On flat, well packed snow, you can run nearly as fast as normal, well, some people can. ;-)

I didn't see any races in OH, but http://www.snowshoeracing.com/ is a good place to start. Call your local running shops, they may know of races in your area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd be amazed. Even on tramped-down path, I'm doing 10-11 minutes miles in Zone 2, whereas I run about a 7:30 mile in Zone 2 regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: snowshoes? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After running 11 miles in the slush yesterday, I am considering some running snowshoes. Do you need the poles? Is there a technique to it? Is hilly terrain necessary? Living in Chicago, there are almost no hills.

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to snowshoes. Is xc skiing a better idea/workout? A friend of mine recommended the snowshoes, he said that the xc skiis are too much effort, the snowshoes go on quickly and in about a 1/2 hour your legs are thrashed.

Thanks for all the info..
Damn, lost the changes... Yeah you shouldn't need poles (especially if you are running). But if you do get poles make sure they are the adjustable kind...

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Dec 12, 05 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snowshoes meant for running are small so require hardpack trails. the trails are hardpack enough that you don't really need the snowshoes anymore. snowshoes meant for walking are big and will give you flotation in deep snow but are not workable for running. if you get 2-6 inches of snow at time snowshoes are a waste of money. just get some winter running shoes and wool socks.
Quote Reply