Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sickness through training
Quote | Reply
ok so i did a few 20 hour training weeks recently. then i had a bit of a recovery week last week and then i got sick!!1 urgh!!! how do other people ensure they stay healthy?
Quote Reply
Re: sickness through training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLEEP.. EAT WELL.. don't train as much.. stay away from other people, lots and lots of water, protein after workouts
are my usual ways. Doesn't do my alot of good however cause i seem to get sick regardless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fulla-

This really sucks---happened to me many times. I've tried everything but one of the main things was getting my blood tested to see iron levels. My iron gets low when I train over 18 (or so) hours a week. Once I started taking Iron it helped dramatically. Get it tested also ask your Doc to see your serum ferritin (your iron storage level). I think this is often overlooked in many male long distance athletes. Google it Joe Friel talks about it too he calls it "tired blood".

If it's not your iron try:

Glutamine;

whey protein;

Lots of Vite C;

Zinc and Magnesium;

a good multi vite;

Naps---increases growth hormone

Good luck

Spinney

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm sick too, the flu i think. coming out of a rest week as well, (where i accidentally trashed my body in the weight room, this put me over the edge, I should have rested more).

get better soon, don't push the training, let yourself get better.

kc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not good make sure you have plenty of R&R and don't rush back to heavy training. I made the mistake of racing when I was still struggling to get rid of a cold I had had for weeks in October - I got very impatient that I had stopped training for so long but couldn't shift the last bit of cold off my chest. My chest hasn't been 100% since. I thought it had pretty much cleared up but this week my chest has been really tight, sore and irratable again. I am sure my asthma has some effect on the slow recovery + I have been doing some hard bike test in the local Uni lab as part of someones PHD study which I don't think has helped.

I find it really difficult to avoid all of the bugs going round your office as there are always so many ill people in the place. Alot of them have really unhealthy life styles so catch everything going, then try and spread to the rest of us. Last year I used neovite colstrum which seemed to reduce the amount of illness I had. Though due to the fact that it my recovery from my early winter cold has been so poor I am begining to wonder how much effect it really has on the immune system.
Quote Reply
Re: sickness through training [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fulla-

This really sucks---happened to me many times. I've tried everything but one of the main things was getting my blood tested to see iron levels. My iron gets low when I train over 18 (or so) hours a week. Once I started taking Iron it helped dramatically. Get it tested also ask your Doc to see your serum ferritin (your iron storage level). I think this is often overlooked in many male long distance athletes. Google it Joe Friel talks about it too he calls it "tired blood".

If it's not your iron try:

Glutamine;

whey protein;

Lots of Vite C;

Zinc and Magnesium;

a good multi vite;

Naps---increases growth hormone

Good luck

Spinney

hey..yeah i had iron problems leading into an ironman last year. i needed iron injections and quite literally i was an 'ironman' hah. i am takking ferrograd. i had iron tests done the other day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had to get injections? That's intense... I would gamble to say that the reason you got sick was from low iron.

Try this----(google it too):

Iron is hard to absorb. Getting iron from food sources (heme iron) will be the best bet. From I've found by googling back when mine was low before IM Florida. Canned clams have almost 3 times as much iron than steak! I would buy canned clams, strain them and put them over pasta with red sauce. It was actually pretty good.

Eat lots of steak and drink Orange juice while your eating it. Citrus fruit and vitamin C helps iron absorbtion.

Peace

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: sickness through training [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah. i got a 300 gram steak waiting for me at home tonight. abnd i do realise u need vitamin c to absorb it. i dunno if we have clams here in nz..but i'll look into it. i am on iron tabs as well. (ferrograd)
Quote Reply