Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Aerobars
Quote | Reply
As some of you might be able to detect from previous posts, I'm the proud owner of a new 2006 Soloist.

Georgetown's cycling team is reorganizing, and I'm planning on riding with them come springtime. One of the conference races is a time trial - so, fortuitously, I've already got the perfect bike for it.

I think my Soloist fits wonderfully - for road fit. I'm yet to flip the seatpost head, but that's because I don't have any clip-ons yet. I suspect, although I don't know, that between the long-ish toptube and a 120mm stem that I'm going to feel stretched out on standard-sized clipons.

I've been looking at a few options - shorties, like Tom D put on his R2.5 on his website, the Oval bars intended for riding in the "slam" position, and others.

I have a gut feeling that the few designs that place the armpads behind the tops of the bar might work best, so that I don't get too stretched out. That might be my ignorance talking, though.

Can I get some recommendations? I know that at some point it's better to head to a shop and get fit, but since most of the area LBS's don't carry more than one brand, I'd like to know what to look for before I go shopping.

For what it's worth, I'm 6', 173lbs, on a 58cm Soloist with a 120mm stem. Drop is about 11cm, my seat's not too high, and I'm comfortable in the drops as well, so my flexibility shouldn't be a limiter. In terms of forearm length (which could affect clip-on choice, no?) I'm exactly 12" from crook of elbow to notch of thumb, measured on the topside.
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What wheels will you be using?
Black Soloist, right?
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Velomax Vistas. For now. Until I get some cash to get something nicer, which might be a while as it's kind of down the list. Something lighter and more aero would be nice, but as I'm what, 90% of the drag equation, it would be nice to get my position improved before I start fixing the wheels.

I've had my eye on some Neuvations as a budget-friendly way to drop grams, if not to improve aerodynamics significantly. There aren't any $1000 wheelsets in my near future, though. Plus, for this one TT, I can't see buying/borrowing a Renn disk either, much as I might like to be the coolest kid around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be able to modify your ride with relative ease once you find your fit in both positions. You'll probably be buying a new stem (Visiontech for $40 is a nice choice) along with a highly adjustable aerobar set (profiles are infinitely adjustable and comfortable) and moving your stem down a few spacers. You could also look into an adjustable stem for both setups.

I've got a pair of Profile Split Second's (with the flip-up armrests) that I used on my road bike before I bought a tri bike, worked very well for that purpose but a bit noisy with the rattle on rough roads.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: DualFual: Dec 11, 05 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the reasoning for the new stem? To go lower, or to get a shorter reach?

My stem's only got a 5mm spacer under it at the moment, and that's probably on the way out. I'm running an FSA OC-140, which has a 6degree negative rise.

Since this is a one-off TT and I have no experience with the discipline, how much sense is there in trying to fit a more forward position versus following the advice of the Boardman article about keeping an established relationship between the saddle and the BB?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both. You may find it more comfortable to be lower and not so stretched out when you're on the aerobars. You may do just fine with what you have, but chances are you'll need to make some minor adjustments, and a shorter, lower stem may work well for you. Like I said, for $40 it's probably worth it, considering you purchased a $2000 bike for the primary purposes of having it both ways.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The $40 I don't object to, in principle. Although I bought the bike less to have it both ways than because I loved the feel of it. The Treks, Cannondale, Orbea, etc. that I tried that were "comparably equipped" just didn't feel right.

The dual-purpose is a nice bonus for when I can [hopefully] resume running in earnest so I can stop being a pretender around here. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to hit up the LBS and try some different stems and bars.

Which brings me back to my original question, which aerobars do you folks recommend? I know there's no shortage of opinion around here. Vision mini's, Ovals, Profile? I know that in terms of comfort, my wrists like the angle that a single-bend provides, with not too-sharp an angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does collegiate cycling conform to UCI rules? If it does you wont be able to flip your seat tube because it would put your saddle too close to your head tube. If they do allow it, I'd get the new proflie s-bends. Ive never really liked their stuff, because they seemed favor trendyness and looks to aerodynamics. Although the sbends are trendy they dont have that giant riser elbow pad and they're cheap. If you can't flip it you should go with the short stem and/or short aerobars. If you get the short stem try one with a 10deg drop if you can fit comfortably onto it.
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [CUTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I don't know if UCI rules apply or not. I suspect that they do. What exactly do the rules state about the relationship of the saddle to the bottom bracket/headtube?

Cheap and low is good. I'm sure a 10deg drop won't be bad, especially with some amount of padding, as I can put my forearms on my bar tops now without too much discomfort, and that's without the seat flipped. I'm curious about the rules, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look into the profile design jammers or t2s. I used the jammers for my first half ironman and was able to acheive great upper body posture even on a 72 degree cyclocross bike.

I had the arm pads all the way back by the headtube!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you should try the Oval A710 aerobars. You can adjust (and trim) them fore and aft. They mount under the bars and the pads are really low profile. I have the carbon version and really like them so far.

http://www.trisports.com/ova7aecl.html

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Dec 11, 05 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also recommend the Profile T2+ that Tom D. raves about. I have them on my road bike (Vortex). They are cheap, low, and the pad can be placed way back. Perfect for the Soloist.

Quote | Reply
I currently dig the Profile T2's. Very nice.
Another option would be the new syntace mini-bars.

Both would be solid choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shocking though this may sound to some people, I don't know what brand of aerobars i have on my soloist. i can say that their main attribute is that the armpads are on spring-loaded hinges, so they pop up when i'm not using them. the idea is that if you want to use the top of the bars to ride (some people like to climb with them), you can.

turns out that i don't use the top bar at all, never have, so I probably could've gotten something lighter for the same price. oh well. but they work fine.
Quote Reply
Re: First Aerobars [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those sound like the Profiles..

I don't use the tops either, as I'd much rather climb on the hoods or on the corners. I know that those Profiles are on the heavy side.. and that I won't be leaving these on my bike long-term, so I'm more concerned with what will fit best.

I'm leaning toward the Ovals or the T2s. I don't know how I feel about the S-bend, though.
Quote Reply