Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training?
Quote | Reply
They say that success in the summer starts with a good winter and spring of training. I know some of you are gearing up for early spring races, like New Zeland, Boston, Arizona etc etc.

Like small subset of the members of this forum, I train for two seasons. Winter is XC ski racing season and summer is triathlon. So I am actually around 6 weeks away from my first XC ski races, so I am trying to ramp the hours this month with some intensity (not a lot) starting early next month. I have 1 race in Jan, two in Feb and one in March. Then in early May, I'll likely head to St. Croix.

So for the moment I am on the "2 hours per day" training program. The weather is so messed up here in Ottawa Canada that I do whatever I can adding up to two hours per day. Some XC skiing, some running, some weights, a bit of trainer riding and the odd swim. Right now, I just go with the flow of weather, trying to get specific on skis when I can, but filling in with triathlon sports, noting a potential rendez-vous with the Beast in May looming in the background. Most of my triathlon training is technique focused, trying to maximize future speed given that my engine that is more or less as good as it will get.

So on the one hand, I won't have my usual solid winter break from tri sports. On the other hand, it won't be such a mad panic in April-May to get ramped for tris. Of course, this might also mean I burn out earlier next summer on tris. Time will tell.

Anyway, the last 3 weeks were 14, 16 and 14 hours. Over the Xmas holidays, I plan on one week close to 20 hours focusing on mega low intensity XC ski miles, but for the rest of the winter, I expect to be in the 10-16 range (closer to 10 on race weeks).

So what races are your gearing up for early next year, and what type of training are you doing? You guys doing IMNZ, IMOZ, IMAZ, what find of hours are you ramping up to this winter?
Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev -

First, huge congrats on the OAT Long Course Triathlete award. I just saw it in "Transitions", and it could not have gone to a more deserving person.

No Boston this coming year, probably nothing "big" until either the Kinetic 1/2 in April or the Mooseman 1/2 in early June, so right now I'm just trying to fix my neuroma and do a bit to keep active - three swims a week, three lifting sessions a week, three runs a week. My rollers, trainer, and CompuTrainer are all beckoning me, but so far I am resisting. Tomorrow maybe. Or Tuesday. Possibly Wednesday. ??? At any rate, by the new year I will start kicking it all into gear in an organized, systematic, and structured fashion.

Watching the weather around here I'm thinking fairly frequently about how frustrated you must be feeling. I personally am in no hurry for Big Winter Weather, but for your sake I hope it comes soonsoonsoon! Keep the faith!

(What's the status of Canadian Zofingen? I see that Terry has a season-ending duathlon scheduled, but it ain't long and it ain't in the Gatineau. Whatever you can tell me will help me plan next year!)

Steve
Quote Reply
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: slimjim: Dec 11, 05 20:22
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what races are your gearing up for early next year, and what type of training are you doing?

The two big ones on the early calendar are the Pomona Valley Stage Race and the Redlands Classic.

Training has been something like...

M - 30' of core work at the gym followed by about 60-90' on the stepmill. I'm doing some pretty monstrous workouts on it as far as intensity is concerned. Last weeks big effort was...
5' @ level 10
5' @ level 11
5' @ level 12
5' @ level 13
5' @ level 14
5' @ level 15
5' @ level 16
5' @ level 17
10' @ level 18
10' @ level 19
10' @ level 20 (maxed out)
cooldown

T - 30' core workout followed by 45'-60' of moderate work on the stepmill, like all below level 16.

W - About 2 hours on the bike with about 3000' of climbing and one 20' effort varying the intensity in between about CP6 to CP60, i.e., very hard work interval. Granted, I'm not using my powermeter right now, so I can't verify scientifically that the wattage is where I think it is, but PE says it's in between CP6 and CP60.

Th - Similar to Wednesday

F - Similar to Monday or Tuesday depending on how I feel

S - About 4 hours out on the roads catching up with group rides here and there. Lots of VO2 and anaerobic efforts.

Su - Similar to Saturday if I've got the legs, otherwise a moderate 2-3 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, into exams so not hard right now.. lots of running for me..can't have what happened to me last year happen again! - mainly you running me down ;).
This week cause of exams i've run 65 k (new record for me), and swum only 6.5k.. doing a training camp with the guelph swim team over the break (hopefully around 30hours -2*2h swim, + hour weights/running)..
In jan the plan is 7-8Xswim (getting to 35-8k/week - 10-12h), 3Xrun (1 with track team - 30-35kish - 3h), 1 bike (60 min), 2Xweight (60min with 20 of that core).. and LOTS of school and thesis writing! - total is 17 h, probably end up doing 15-16...
thats all pretty high intensity stuff, so I'll probably take 2 weeks really easy after OUA's at end of feb, and start up a more balanced program in march with 4-5 Swim, 4 Runs, 2-3 bikes, 2 weights..
and congrats on getting OAT athlete of the year!

All this for getting ready for FISU in augest.. and the usual ontario races this summer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of the never ending shin pain and no access to a pool this will be the year of cycling. I plan on working-cycling-sleeping-repeat. My numbers will not be big but the quest is too live in that contast state of almost over trained.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's alot of intensity! No overtraining problems like hard time sleeping?
No, for much of the past year and a half I was doing quite a bit more volume. Looking back now, I can see I was fried from it all for much of August and all of September. Took some time off and scaled the volume way down and I feel awesome. Tons of snap in my legs. Not riding every day feels weird, but I think it's good for me right now. Plus, the gym is my first love, and as good as the scenery is out on the mountain roads, there is some unbeatable views in the gym as well Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in about 9 hours last week, with 3 swims, 4 trainer rides and 4 runs. Not much intensity though since I'm trying to ease back into real training slowly so that my achilles stays intact for next season and I'm actually trying to improve my swim stroke so that I can keep up with my 10 year old daughter in the pool :)
Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slimjim, sub 2:48 or resign yourself to poserland. Being the prototype "non cosmetic bulk guy" you should be flying up those Newton hills.

Bluenorth, the weather around here is nuts right now, but it is not really affecting me. I have no workout plan except try to get in 2 hours per day, and usually I just work with the weather and conditions. I have 7 activities to pick from on any day to get my 2 hours in:
  1. swim
  2. bike rollers with PC
  3. bike trainer with regular cranks
  4. weights
  5. run
  6. XC ski classic technique
  7. XC ski skate technique

In a few weeks if the cold weather keeps up, I'll also be able to add speedskating, so there is not excuse to get bored, or mentally fried, as I can mix the sports up any day based on convenience. The main thing at this point is to just put hours in and work on technique in whatever sport I do. I can get lots of "inadevertant intensity in" on XC skis the moment the geography goes vertical...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2006 A-races are the HFP Desoto American Triple-T (solo division!) on Memorial day weekend and the full Vineman in August.

After back to back marathons in early October, I took the rest of that month to rest and avoid structured work.

Since beginning of November, I've been working on a 12-week off-season running program (trying to strengthen that area) and on keeping up a minimal bike and swimming base. I've also been visiting the weight room regularly, typically three times a week. Right now I am putting in about 10 hours a week - about half of that is running - not including the weight room work.

In the next few weeks I plan to begin going to masters for more structured swim workouts and to begin to invest some more time on the computrainer. And get outside on the bike when the weather allows. It all builds gradually towards the spring!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GF and I are up to about 2 bottles of wine in a night, and I am back up to about 4-5 beers, if I chose that route, before passing out. Haven't incorporated hard liquor yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do my usual stuff, which isn't much by most standards. I've been able to start running a bit since my plethora of calf injuries, but, I'm not going to push it too hard. I ride whenever I don't have something else that must be done, and have someone to ride with, and we usually do about 25 miles in rolling hills with a couple of long flat stretches....and I'll go as hard as I feel like I can go for the middle 15 miles, with a couple of 5-8 minute hard pulls and a couple of standing hill climbs. I swim a bit, just to keep my usual 10 sets of 100's below 1:30 (HA! I know that's not fast!). And I've begun lifting a couple of times a week, just because I like being stronger, not that it makes me better in a Triathlon. I'll have knee and elbow surgery within the next month, so this next year may start out slow for me as far as racing. No big deal, give me a couple of months at any given time in a year and I can be in good enough shape not to be embarrassed in my AG in local area races.

You "real" endurance athletes have my admiration! Amazing stuff those in that group can do...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dev, when i went to italy, my training went aside, now that im back until january 5th im training like 4 hrs a day.
2 and a half hours in the pool 1 and a half dry land.
Sometimes ill be in the pool 2 times a day and maybe extend certain practices.
I just cant wait to start my next triathlon season and start my swimming season.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, for the record, my A races for 2006 are St. Croix half Ironman in May and Esprit Half Ironman in September.

My two other big races at the Defiboreal 100K XC ski on March 25 and LP Ironman in July. To me, these events are more like long "tours" in that I am never really "racing" like in a half Ironman. They are more about, "the guy who slows down the least while eating lunch on the fly"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm swinging back into some kind of condition after a year of studying and very little real training. I'm aiming for a 12-hr TT in the summer, and 'maybe' a 1/2IM in May (not sure because I;'ve just had my Achilles' tendonitis flare back up so I'm not running).

The aim for this week will be to reintroduce extra swims to my training and continue to build up my bike work, for something like this:

Monday (today) - 60mins EZ spin with 6x15second Stomps; 2x30mins EZ commuting ride; 60mins Masters' swim

Tuesday - 90mins EZ ride am (inc commute); 30mins EZ commute home; 60mins trainer ride (inc 45mins tempo)

Wednesday - 60mins swim; 2x30mins EZ commuting ride; 60+mins Yoga/core

Thursday - 90mins EZ ride am (inc commute); 30mins EZ commute home; 60mins trainer ride (inc 3x10mins Big Gear)

Friday - 60mins swim; 2x30mins EZ commuting ride

Saturday - 5hrs bike (av135bpm)

Sunday - REST DAY

Stuff I like:
PBscience Triathlon Coaching and Lab Testing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slimjim, you are a studly runner, but just keep in mind the following about Boston:

1. It starts at noon, so it is a long time after breakfast, but too early to have a full lunch. There are lots of people who just run out of steam at 2:30 pm. There are few marathons run like this at mid day. It plays havoc with energy levels as this is a natural low in everyone's day cycle.

2. Boston is 26 miles into a headwind. This alone can add 3-10 min to your regular marathon time, expecially for a tall guy like you who is built like a sail

3. You can fry your quads by Wellsley college. Make sure that all your running includes lots of up and downhill running. Do lots of downhill running at sub 4 min per K as you will need to go through 13.1 miles in sub 1:22 to make the 2:48 given all the uphill and headwind running in the second half. Running by the canal won't cut it.

Aside from that, you are studly, so we have confidence in your ability....just check this thread before you head for Boston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I'm sure you'll reach a conclusion and share it with us all later...right?

As for me, I'm doing IM South Africa as a "high volume training day" in March and focusing on IMCdA in late June. Having taken last year almost entirely off, I'm in "rebuilding base" mode.

I've been averaging 15 hours per week since mid-September and have recently begun to ramp the duration of individual workouts (last Saturday, I ran 2:20 in the hills and Sunday I rode 6:00). I did a high mileage riding weekend during Thanksgiving (17 hours in 4 days) and I'll do a high mileage run week while visiting family in Maine from 20-26 December.

Basically, I'm on the "get done what I can" program which necessitates more discussions with my coach (Scott McMillan). The good news is that under his guidance I'm staying more consistent so I think that's a positive.

Cheers,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training for a marathon on 4/1 to build base endurance.

Been pretty consistant with 4 to 4.5 hrs of running and about 10-12K of swimming.

I haven't been on a bike since the last time I rode my MTB about a month ago.

Going to start the bike riding in February

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently training for IMFL. Well, I'm doing a lot of base training just to get back into working out, but the end goal is IMFL. Every other race is secondary to that race. Not really since I want to complete a few HIM's before IMFL. I was injured last year so this year should go better.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puskas you lucky dog...enjoy the trip to RSA. We'll be rooting for you. I hope your "A" race becomes Kona after you qualify in Cape Town...

I started this thread so that guys ramping volume feel some sense of team spirit as it can seem a bit lonely when you are up at 5:45 am, and heading out in the dark and cold for a run by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "A" race after CdA is Ultraman with a lotta help from Eileen Steil on the horizon!

Her perseverence and can-do approach have simply inspired me to believe that I can cover the distances which have interested me for a few years now.

For those wanting some comraderie while collecting base mileage...Feel free to join me on Saturday for a virtual 8-hours in the saddle...All easy, nice destinations mid-way and corn dogs/Red Bull as a treat at the 6 hour mark:-)

Cheers,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: OK, it is mid Dec, some of you are on Y2K+6 training. How much and hard are you training? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I can also put you in touch with my friend Tony O'Keeffe, who has been second at Ultraman three times. He is the king of base miles.

I am hoping to do a 4 hour XC ski this weekend conditions permitting. Not quite like a 8 hour ride, but perhaps equal to something like a 5-6 hour outing in effort.

Dev
Quote Reply