Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc...
Quote | Reply
So we read in the "FORUM RULES AND LEGEND" FAQ's the following:

"...this is a private forum that is open to the public in general, but with certain restrictions including but not limited to those listed herein. Using this forum is a privilege, not a Constitutionally guaranteed right, and this privilege can be revoked at our sole discretion."

and also,

"IS THIS A MODERATED FORUM? Sort of. The Slowtwitch.com editorial team "peeks in" and occasionally posts to this forum. What moderation there is occurs after the fact, that is, we don't monitor a post before it is published, you publish it and then we eventually read it (or not). This forum receives about 1800 posts every day, on average, and this is simply too many posts to read and monitor. Accordingly, anything you see that you consider abusive or in bad taste; if you read a post that you think ought to be brought to our attention; please apprise us of this."

and finally...

"WHAT CAN'T I POST HERE? Your post should not be off-topic. We are especially cranky about trial-by-internet..."

In my opinion, and m opinion only, the "spirit" or tenor of the forum is genrally very, very good. It is light-hearted and constructive. I bend the "commercial" rules all the time, hyping product, my business, (hoping to) establishing credibility... Hopefully not to the detriment of anyone else.

Perhaps a central theme to whether or not a post is utterly appropriate or inappropriate is the spirit or intent in which it was authored: Was it meant to help? Inform? Assist? Promote? Was the intention of the post- either veiled or overt- constructive in nature?

Or, was an element of the posting to cause harm, duress or exert a negative effect on someon, including seeking revenge?

The intent seems to determine whether a post is appropriate or not, and that is a judgement call.

Willfully injurious posts have no place whatsoever in m opinion- but it is NOT my forum.

Dan writes in the "RULES":

"WHAT IS CONSIDERED ABUSIVE? We don't know, but we know it when we see it."

This is a large enough gray area that controversy is bound to start occasionally- especially during the months of the year when our attention isn't turned as significantly to the sport itself due to the weather and being couped up inside. It always gets ugly during the winter.

What's the answer? Dan makes a suggestion in the "RULES" FAQ:

"If you take a deep breath before you post, and give your idea a second thought before you push the 'send' button, you probably won't write anything with which we'll take umbrage."

In a perfect world- even a good one- that may be all the moderation we need...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<whip cracks!> back to work Tom :)

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<whip cracks!> back to work Tom :)

Yeah, shaddup and go grease some headset bearings, or something (wink).

P.S. I haven't been using those emoticon thingies for the last week or so, out of deference to Klehner, who was beginning to find my use of them annoying. See? Self-censorship does work. Sometimes. And if one is in the proper mood to exercise it. And it's a day that ends in a 'y'.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posts of this nature are usually the result of PUI (posting under the influence) and the poster isn't in a state to be mindful of the rules or repercussions. I've run forums in the past and it's incredibly frustating and disheartening to come back after a day or weekend away to crap like this.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [mcastle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I feel if I post something, I should be able to accept the responses that I get back. Hell, I get scorched like you wouldn't believe, over in the LR, sometimes. All of us have gone through it. Like I said in another thread, go look at The Daily Kos or one of those discussion forums. They really, really get into some heated conversations (big smile).

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hell, I get scorched like you wouldn't believe, over in the LR,"

Yeah Tony, but almost everybody who posts over there is either looking for it or expecting it. I know I do whenever I've been there. The main forum is a different thing. Or at least it should be.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by balanceguy [ In reply to ]
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [balanceguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a case of many people suffering from overposting.

Hey.......what are trying to say, trying to say, trying to say, trying to say, trying to say, trying to say?????

T.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Tony, but almost everybody who posts over there is either looking for it or expecting it. I know I do whenever I've been there. The main forum is a different thing. Or at least it should be.

You make a good point, big guy.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Spirit" of the forum, the rules, etc... [balanceguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or underthinking.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply