Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Honolulu Triathlon Update
Quote | Reply
I just spoke to Bill Burke who is the RD for the Honolulu Triathlon and he informed me that the 2006 event will not take place this year due to scheduling conflicts . The event was scheduled during Memorial Day weekend and the city's resources would be overloaded. Also JAL, the event sponsor would have no time to change their scheduling. Mr. Burke let me know that the website will be updated within a couple of weeks. The website currently notes that the 2006 event has not been finalized.

On the bright side, he let me know that the event will happen in May or June 2007 and 2008 as an ITU points series but wasn't too sure if it would be a World Cup event. He spoke to the US Olympic Committee and said it could possibly be another qualifier in 2008.

One more question I asked was, since my entry from last year was rolled over to 2006, would it be rolled again to 2007? He let me know that I am the first one entered for the 2007 event. :) I told him I don't want 1 as my race number cause then I'd have a bulls eye on my back.

Aloha,

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Re: Honolulu Triathlon Update [TriVelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I hope they don't get it the same weekend as Honu Half. One week (6 days) was plenty close for me (2006 previous schedule). I would like to see them about two weeks apart.

Happy Holidays,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wish it were cheaper to get to hawaii
Quote Reply
Re: Honolulu Triathlon Update [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't think USAT cares about a WTC event do you? I was in the same boat but I think I could have done both or die tri-ing. I guess we won't have to worry about that this year.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I really don't think USAT cares about a WTC event do you? I was in the same boat but I think I could have done both or die tri-ing. I guess we won't have to worry about that this year.

No, probaly not, to be honest neither do I. :) I don't even follow the politcs of triathlons. I just enjoy a good event no matter who puts it on. I enjoy our local Tinman event as much as any of the others.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Honolulu Triathlon Update [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i wish it were cheaper to get to hawaii

It is cheaper if you do like I did, buy a one way ticket. :) (25 years ago)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Re: Honolulu Triathlon Update [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you I enjoy a well organized event on a fun course. I haven't done the Honu and I hear the undulating run on the golf course made it hard to get into rhythm, but that a lot of people liked the race. I watched the Honolulu last year, both the pros and AGs and I was really disappointed I couldn't be anything but a spectator. Now I have to wait another year.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a petition going around here for a while trying to get Bill to change the date from Memorial weekend because we knew it would be way to much for the park or community to handle on the busiest park day of the year. Wish they had got on it earlier, that was like 4-5 months ago... Bummer we're not having it in 2006 but I can see why. Oh well, I'm signing up for Honu right now:)
Quote Reply
Re: Honolulu Triathlon Update [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai- I actually went by the park this last memorial day to see how "busy" it was and I discovered that it wasn't ( at least before noon. ). At about 9:00 A.M. thereer were plenty of parking spaces at lava rock bathroom and fronting the beach areas While thought that this was a stupid date for a major triathlon, the fact of the matter is that the park doesn't to appear have the same usage that day as it might on a typical weekend.I would guess(heavy emphasis on the speculative nature of this reasoning) this is because many folks are off island and few organized groups ( i.e. soccer, softball) schedule stuff on a family week end.
Quote Reply