Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quadrathlon to 11.300ft summit!
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone is going to be at the Mt. Taylor Quad in Grants, NM. Its' a 13 mile bike with 1800 elevation, 5 mile run on snowy gravel road for 1200 elevation, 2 mile xc ski for 1200 elevation, snow shoe 1mile for 600ft elevation to the 11,300 ft summit and then you turn around and do it all over again. I did it last year as a paired team and it was pretty fun. Except for the blizzard conditions at the top. Its Presidents day weekend every year. If you're in the area you should consider. Also great fun as a team event. The whole town gets behind the thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Quadrathlon to 11.300ft summit! [Bohdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take it no one will be there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Taylor in ~1998 it is a great event. the whole town volunteers for it, they have a big pre-event dinner and everybody gets free massages after. When I did it the governor of NM (Johnson I think?) raced and we warmed up together!

One thing, prepare for the sorest hip flexors and quads ever, as the 5mile down hill run destroys them!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be fun. what's the date this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Quadrathlon to 11.300ft summit! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its presidents weekend. I think its the 18 th of Feb. otherwise just look up Mt. Taylor Quad online
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep. feb 18th. could be fun even though I hate being cold ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there but just doing the first two legs with a buddy while our wives do the same tandem race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go do it. it's a real kick. i did it in 2000, intending to do it just once, to see what it was like. the post on the town was correct: they want to put the place on the map, get some money coming in, etc. do take climbing skins for your skis, and rent the snowshoes there, unless you already own them.
having the ultimate luxury of knowing i was alone in my age group and just had to finish, not think about time, i took a one-time-use camera in my fanny pack and stopped to take a few pictures at the summit (as i sucked in whatever air i could get). you could see for 90-100 miles. it was rather spectacular.
it's homegrown and a little folksy, but very well organized, and you need to be in the planning out of your gear bags and such. the main place to watch out for the cold is the last leg, coming down on the bike. i ended up going with neoprene outer gloves over my liners. it's plenty cold, just for starters, you're no longer expending much energy since you're going downhill, and you cannot afford to have your hands semi-freeze when you need them so much for the brakes.
i don't need to do this VERY demanding race again, but it was great, and you have to love this little town for putting it on. i came back saying, "now THAT was a hoot!"
peggy
Quote Reply