Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey roller riders... [super clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try it and see what happens;) Then you tell me which way is correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. someone crazy? posted.

double roller is on the back.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try this on rollers, it helps break the monotony...just wear a helmet you'll be okay

http://www.break.com/...s/bikeroofstunt.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [choobakky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah.

just a matter of time before he is dead as a doornail.

just a little gust, a little burp, a little twitch, and he is gone....

Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These allow you to do MUCH more as they ensure you can focus on a smoothe stroke, but also allow you to ride MUCH more aggressively and to occasionally zone out (thus removing some barriers to getting on/staying on rollers).

The ability to readily stand (not the dainty traditional roller standing) also lets you adjust and take pressure off your junk more often which increases riding duration.

I've got a set and would recommend them to anyone.

Cheers,

Jonathan C. Puskas

www.wenzelcoaching.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so you actually use these rollers (in the initial post)? are you happy with the purchase?

so with these things, could you do something like this: prop up the front end of the rollers to get a simulated incline (say 10 deg.s?) and then stand out of the saddle, shifting a lot of your weight forward over your bars (holding the hoods on your road bike) and sway the bike under you as you might when you got a long, very steep climb and have to stand with the gearing you got.

i am a very smooth rider, but i find that any major wt. shifts forward on standard rollers, even real gentle ones, will make your front wheel jump over (or behind) the front roller due to the way regular rollers distribute your wt.

so what exactly do you find the purpose is of the fore-aft motion of these things? would it work equally well without it, but with all the other accessories he adds?

any other comments about how well or poorly they work?

thanks!

Last edited by: Greg X: Dec 5, 05 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can "stand up" while my rollers but not like you can on these rollers. I am pretty curious about them - They look like a great training tool. With resistence and a power meter you would be set for indoor training IMHO.

David K
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right, but i am talking about standing like i posted above, with a large wt. shift forward as you when climbing a steep grade on the road...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

I own a set of the initial BETA Units (the current ones have nicer finish work).

As you mentioned, when you stand up on a traditional set of rollers, you traditionally send you bike slightly backward resulting in the tendency for riders to come off the back end of the traditional rollers. As you brake suddenly, you have a tendency to come off the front of traditional rollers. If you swerve from a momentary lack of attention, you have a tendency to come off the sides of traditional rollers. It's not that any one of these actions is unacceptable, it's that the combination results in a limited riding experience on traditional rollers and you are forced to ride more tentatively (even when I'm removing a jersey and/or riding no handed or standing on traditional rollers, it still tends to be conservative).

The beauty of Inside Ride is that you can act AGGRESSIVELY on them (hard sprints, braking, bouncing a front wheel, even bunny-hopping are all possible). Further, you can really swerve around if you want. Finally, being able to actually ride and "play" on the Inside Ride Rollers makes them MUCH more fun (while also alleviating pressure on "contact points"). In short, all these items combined make it really easy for me to do 90 minute sessions (with resistance) on a regular basis. From a tracking perspective, I use my bike with a PowerTap and I end up with all my Power, HR, Distance, Speed, etc. data for later analysis and I've had MORE FUN than on any other trainer that I've owned.

No, you couldn't raise up the front though as the trainer's float would then be in the fully-rearward position which would eliminate its benefits (I'm assuming as I haven't actually tried it).

By the way, I've spent roughly 50 hours on this trainer since getting it and it's showing no indications of wear/problems.

Cheers,

Jonathan C. Puskas

www.wenzelcoaching.com

Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
wait a minute----

I have been on rollers for 6 weeks or so 2x a week hour and half per session. And now you guys are telling me that the Double Roller side is for the front and the single for the Rear----WTF----
After trying many times to ride them the "correct way" that is to say - with the REAR wheel in between the 2, I had to change it so I could actually ride them. So, that's why I ride them with my front tire between the 2 rollers.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After trying many times to ride them the "correct way" that is to say - with the REAR wheel in between the 2, I had to change it so I could actually ride them. So, that's why I ride them with my front tire between the 2 rollers.
you are kidding, right?

because if you can do this, you gotta tell us and show us how, as you would seem to be bending the very laws of physics!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, thanks for the response. they sure do look damn fun.

how do you find the resistance level? can you get it high enough? can you simulate climbing, even with the rollers flat?

does your beta model look like the one in the photo? or is it a slightly 'rougher' than the one pictured?

Last edited by: Greg X: Dec 5, 05 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]hey, thanks for the response. they sure do look damn fun.

how do you find the resistance level? can you get it high enough? can you simulate climbing, even with the rollers flat?

does your beta model look like the one in the photo? or is it a slightly 'rougher' than the one pictured?[/reply]

Thanks for your interest in the rollers. I can answer any questions you have about them.
The resistance level can be changed by moving the magnet in one of the four levels.
On the upper level the resistance is 600 watts at 20mph, 180lb rider.
That's a pretty good climb.
I've turned over 1100 watts in a full sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [biket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do the rollers have to be perfectly level to keep them from sliding full aft or forward and then negating the motion?

what is the purpose of the motion exactly? how would the rollers work if they had no motion but still had all the other accessories that keep the rider upright?

do you make them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]do the rollers have to be perfectly level to keep them from sliding full aft or forward and then negating the motion?

what is the purpose of the motion exactly? how would the rollers work if they had no motion but still had all the other accessories that keep the rider upright?

do you make them?[/reply]
1. no, they don't have to be perfectly level just within a few degrees of level.
ie. on grass at the track race is fine, I've seen people with them at the cross races in muddy areas.
2. the motion makes it feel more real, on the road the bike moves around under you all the time but you don't notice it because of your relative motion.
3. the bump rollers are only there because of the motion. Because you could never be so aggressive without the motion.
the front roller side bump wheels would help normal rollers because if you wander off the center you can push yourself back to the middle.
4. I don't make them but I was part of the group that tested them.
that's me on the video jumping around and sprinting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 So, that's why I ride them with my front tire between the 2 rollers.[/reply]you are kidding, right?

because if you can do this, you gotta tell us and show us how, as you would seem to be bending the very laws of physics![/reply]Just wondering why I'd be bending the laws of physics? (not kidding btw). I do find it easier to ride them this way. I don't think there is really a trick to it... Other than concentration and balance. If I can get this cheap digi-cam of mine to work again, I can show you an "in-action" picture.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BETAs look slightly (very slightly) rougher than the ones in the video.

The resistance is PLENTY high. According to Larry (the manufacturer), the new production version has a smoother power curve and even higher resistance, but I can tell you that I can't ride the highest resistance setting for any reasonable amount of time.

Overall, the finish work is excellent and is definitely not a concern.

I like them enough that I sold my Tacx Flow trainer once I'd ridden the rollers for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Puskas

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Looks like a Concept2 on slides...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey roller riders... [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does concept two make rollers? i thought just rowing machines....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at their 'slides'. It's the same basic idea being used in the design of these rollers. http://www.concept2.com/05/slide/slidemain.asp
Quote Reply

Prev Next