Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please explain to me...
Quote | Reply
Why I can do a long run one week and feel great, and do the same distance the next week with the variables all the same (diet the night before and morning of, weather, sleep level, attitude, etc) and feel horrible? I don't understand. I know this phenomenon is not specific to me, as it happens to my training partners, as well. Can anyone explain it?
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me... [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is related to something you did 2-4 days before. OR maybe you are still tired from the long run the week before. How long of a run are we talking about.

Your post portrays it as if ALL variables are accounted for when in reality ALL variable will NEVER be TOTALLY controlled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am perplexed by the huge daily variation in performance and perceived effort/performance when all else is arguably equal.

Unfortunately I'm at a complete loss to explain it. My only thought is whatever goes on in the top 3"

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with Konaby2008, you simple can't account for ALL variables. Even pro's have bad race day's and many of them are far more anal about schedule, diet, sleep etc than we are.

As long as you do account for most things and every run does not get worse from week to week then simply chalk it up as a bad run. I've had some runs that are so unexplicable horrible that I've bagged them completely after only a few miles. When it's not there...it's just not there.

If you come back the next week and everything seems normal then carry on. If it continues to be bad or happens often that it's a bad run time to start looking at more variables.

~Matt
Last edited by: MJuric: Dec 4, 05 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really only one way to explain and it is covered by my favorite bumper sticker...

stuff happens

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
food intake the 24hrs before, sleep patterns, muscle recovery, hydration status...
plenty of reasons...happens all the time
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think therefore I am...or something like that. The "head-game" perplexes me. If I have a dispute/diagreement, etc at work, it's likely I'm going to have a sub-par workout the next day. Even though the previous situation is resolved/forgotten, something has been depleted.

I can control nutrition, muscle balance, etc but I can't control the mind game. I can usually feel the effect and think back on possible cause. I don't fight it, just cut the workout short and , the next day, everything's back on schedule.

Is it possible that this "stress" factor also effects the immune system?

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My long runs have not been "great" latley. I have hed constant knee pain. Yesterdays was GREAT. Went out feeling good and ran 90min @ 7:45 pace with no problems. Napped and felt great all day.
Quote Reply