Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Palm Springs to Home Bike Route
Quote | Reply
http://tinyurl.com/bko7n

Is this route doable by bike?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://tinyurl.com/bko7n

Is this route doable by bike?

link doesn't work. try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a Mac and it won't make a clickable link. You'll need to copy and paste.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Error: The page cannot be displayed
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [mcastle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very strange. It works on mine. I used tinyurl becaus ethe real url is over 2,000 characters.
But here it is, anyway:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?centerX=-117.06756591796875&centerY=33.56428403679499&zl=8&fl=m-e-h-0-0&polyline=y%7CemEfjifUs@w@QeIal@q@Mq%5Cm%5E%7Dq@%7DKa@b@%7DnAlReXhDiG%7Ch@kwCbHyJjo@ypApg@y%60CleAyh@nd@ut@ff@wg@jm@urAlhCmlBpBmc@pFuAnjH%7CsB%7EYgMjDoJzEcD%7E@_NfEaGfCoJdPNrFeItEz@TpCkDbHbDrD%7EBqGjBcDpFkANiNlEgBfCnBtAjKqD%7EF%7DAzKyFrGtCfFjDyJjFiCvQw%5Cb@wIfEj@LtEuCxCaEbLeC%7COlIpGtAjKfVjStC%7BCsFkWaOePxFgFnGhCxYaGnb@hYbJ%60@hIpCxJeIre@pG%7EMf%5ClAzO%7CEpC%7CMj@zHhKrNnFpHyCfZpJtAjS%7EKfClEcEvO%3FpKxNdR%7DAti@pNbFtExHFxOxNhDbHbBbSvEvMeJhs@gC%7CH%7EBfJi@tLpDxY%7CZ%7CyAmA%7E_@rJ%7CSuArSpFvQnGxFp@%7CLfP%7C%5EuArOnQf%5CxDhVvCzG%60@pVw@nIbF%7EMyB%60KoOhKq@%7EL%7CEt%5BaA%7EM%7CT%60%5DlCbPzPlWtLhYb@fNkFd%7C@%3F%7Cq@%7BHbSjBnJ%7CGrGxBzOgPp%7E@i%60@rfAfN%7E%5BkD%7Cj@rJpFxY_MhMfQ%7EOf%7D@%7Di@%60jArt@bgBw@p_HlThjBdaAlbFuAha@rJzh@vQjS%60Gf%60@%7Cz@xv@j%5DzfAtxBxtAhMh%7E@h%5E%7CgA%7Cz@%60xAdN%60%7B@b%60@%7Ej@vk@tWvZbAdW%7CZfVa@l_A_MvHdAfTnWf@%7CJwKzc@k@nMjDt%60@F%60QuAfOi%5ElgAeG%60Ikd@zQgQzXgCnZ%7B@%7CFyUpb@oBbLXrOtFv%5E_AdGcQbFcDbDgBhGVhVqAbLcEbMuArLRbe@IdGkEf%60@bBpRzPra@xAfFdEr%5EHpW%7CAdZkRfuAGlEb@fQyEx_BgFrVoBlN%7B@rLcBxHoQl%5DcHfXkOx%5DiLva@ea@bt@iIri@yQpYcBxJv%7EArtJ%5Bx%5DlClb@bO%7BKhg@%60OzP%3FjU_NtPrDlCjD%7CCqAlM%7CD%60Ew@hItC%7EPlMhMbFfCfD%7EPrFrEvBhNdA%7E%5EjUvU%7EVpMvXprDxgCpm@xRvVgCL%7C%5BzOqGdb@oFdb@kX%7E%5DuYbv@%7Ba@pOmEraCfBpi@bPdFGr%5Ev%5CpDrVjKtLtP%7EInGdItAlPgAbH%60Ej%5EtA%60ZgE%7E%5BpBlIhI%60GvTfk@%7CN%60VlAbHrU%7EXjBnI%7EXdQhRzGdJ%60RjMrKjO%3FnE_Bp%5EdA%7CNlMrUpk@vGbEvNi@fw@pGjOqCfJz@pXl%5BvIlSaE%7E%5CaCl%5BdDx%60@db@v%7EAdDhVhT%7Eq@fEbf@pn@bcAt%60@n%7D@%7C%5Df%7BAbTzh@%60w@p_Ex@du@z%5Edn@hH%7ECpVhECv@aOh@cMbFcDjDmHnDG%7E@bAjAq@TuLaI_C%5DuVtJae@bSsi@%60@gWeP%7BYx%60@%7BaAtq@qc@pRa_@%7Ey@bMx%5Cc@lEgPf%60@akAt%7C@wIlLqMnDwH%7DBsOiMiJCku@fi@qCpGaEld@gBnJ%7BFzEmJjAq%5DjQeDhAp@dDFnBeDzMiHpCoEfHjZtCiGzEwjAzwAi@rGwCnBoCfAFfJ_NhAaH%7EB%7De@%7E_@%7D%7DBplDkPj%60@_PrSmIzIuuA%7C%7CBoa@h%7E@uEvXqX%60Vo%5EncAcDxNmAdOqAdJuAjC_Vj%5BuGjD_VhOuDlCoAtAyAfCT%60AwBx@mACmGp@ko@pVmPzGkEnEsEh@uIzCiCl@eHbDoD%7E@oRxKuC%60FgC_AoA%60CsB%60C%7DDdCsYlMwV%7EUyAhCsFzc@c@vA%7DCnDoAbCo@fGj@dJiCf%5CDfDPdFg@%60EuArDsi@dt@oNdY%7DLxQmRnUaSja@gMt_@qKtREvBoCrIk%5Czn@aApDq@DaEvHqArBc@fBDdAq@f@w@bAuAlIIdEo@%7EDGlCp@dDzAdDJjAo@%7CA%7BE%7DEu@%3FoCbO%7DAbOiEpP_@%7EC%60@pHsIo@m%5CFkG%7B@us@xAg%60@FkKiBsKqF%7BJgLcPmGiIRwMgAwK%7BG%7DFiKcHgSeCqEcYuPeK%7DB%7DQtAwL%7EIxC%60GpAyAe@_Ar@iAWs@

Thanks for trying, by the way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know the roads...are there wide shoulders, bike lanes? Once into Pendleton you're fine the rest of the way.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm OK with Oceanside to Dana Point. I haven't a clue about Palm Springs to Oceanside, though. I'll have to scope it out one day. That'd be a ride from my mother-in-law's home to my home. The wife thinks I'm nuts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to ride from my home to Palm Springs next year too. So I clicked on the link and you live about .5miles from my place. How funny! When do you plan on riding out there?

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't know when. Just a whim of an idea. It depends on my schedule for next year which I haven't formulated yet. Kind of based on what happens a Ralph's. (Remnds me, I need to sign up.)

You're an aquaintance of LADAVIDSON, right? I haven't met Larry, but we've been in a few races together, including IMFL. We've passed a few emails back and forth since.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't met LADAVIDSON in person yet but we exchanged some emails. He replied to me after I asked if anybody would be interested in a weekly ride form DP to Torrey.

Could you please PM me if you find out about a good route to Palm Springs? I'm really interested how to get safely out there and back. Would make it a good bike week end.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that would be a great ride to do, the only problem is the cars. Hwy 74 and Hwy 371 are narrow 2 lane with no bike lane and no shoulder. A lot of people drive that as a back way to Palm Springs and they are flying through there. A lot of curves and that climb out of Palm Springs on 74 is a great climb. I see people riding it once in a while, but I would be nervous climbing it with the way the cars fly through there on those curves. Go rent the movie Torque. It's kind of like a motorcycle version of Fast and Furious. There is a sement early in the movie that was filmed on that climb.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike, That was the info I was looking for. I wonder if there's a Northern route - paralleling the 10 and then the 91. Not as scenic and winds may be killer, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know of NO States that that allow cyclists on Interstate Highways. You'll need to find a way around I15 and I5.

Paul
Last edited by: zipp: Dec 4, 05 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, yes, that too. Most have a service road that parallels, but they have to be checked out that they actually go where you need them to. I think MapQuest will find you a route that involves no interstates. I'll check that out, too. What a cool service that would be - just like Mapquest or the others but catered to bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this ride quite a few time from North County to Palm Springs. Knock on wood but I have NEVER had a problem. Do it on a WEEKDAY and your fine. Yes the shoulder is pretty slim but I found it ok. 116 miles from Palm Canyon to Encinitas. You will want to stop in Anza, than before Temecula again as well as at the 76/15 junction. Its a super ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part 2, Take the 74, but only till the turn towards Anza which I forget the Road #, than left on 79 towards Temecula than old 395 till either San Luis Ray or Deer Springs or Del Dios....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find a more rural route to Yorba Linda (along the 91), you could then hop on the Santa Ana River Trail there and ride that unencumbered by traffic all the way to Huntington. Then, I'm sure you could make it down through Newport/Laguna and home okay. Trafficky, but there's a bike lane at least.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's good info. This may be a good post Easter ride - have to burn off all those marshmallow Peeps and chocolate eggs.

Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs to Home Bike Route [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The river trail may be the way to go. I'd be concerned after all that mileage hitting the dreaded on-shore breeze, though. Of course, the other route is Santiago Canyon, ahhh, more hills after all that riding. Well, then there's the dreaded Irvine Blvd that looks flat but simply kills you mentally with its slight uphill grade.

No matter how you do it, those last miles are going to hurt. There, see? I'm already psyching myself out of the ride!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is by far easier I think to come home from Palm Springs. Riding there is uphill from the coast till just after ANZA. The last 20 to the 111 downhill, fast, and awesome sweeping turns, than too many bad drivers that last 30min to Plam Springs! Coming home, after 2ish hours its downhill more than you realize with just that 395 to deal with and you do San Luis Ray and the bikepath you just have the headwinds and no hills (tough trade off).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it on a Santa Ana day! I rode the San Diego River Trail today and was going 17mph east bound and 23 westbound with the tail wind!

------------------
Quote Reply