Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can ya help the doc heal his back...need core/back training tips!
Quote | Reply
I posted about 2 weeks ago that I had hurt my back:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=624924;search_string=search_string;#624924

Well, I am feeling much better, but still have stayed away from running/cycling. I have been doing some light stretching and almost daily *easy* swims in the pool. I still feel pretty tight in the low back(L4-L5).

I wanted to hear from you all, particularly those that have had similar problems, about your stretching routines and/or back/abdominal exercise routines.
My wife utilizes DVD's from both Rodney Yee(Yoga for athletes) and Anna Cabon(Pilates), Gunnar Peterson(Core), etc and she has recommended these for me. I am going to give that a try. I have an exercise ball(obviously *rarely* used giving my current state...;-).

I am scheduled to do Ironman Canada 2006 and hope this is not a big set back for me. Hopefully just an isolated event.
Cheers,
Holden

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Can ya help the doc heal his back...need core/back training tips! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH! Oh I know this!

go to the gojessi.com website for resources on core strengthening. She teaches a core strength class too!
Quote Reply
Re: Can ya help the doc heal his back...need core/back training tips! [Igotthelook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While strength & flexibility are vital, they are not the cure all by any means. I have some incredibly strong triathletes in my office including a former world champion duathlete who had continual flare ups of low back pain until the alignment was addressed. Doc, if this isnt your first bout with LBP then you have an issue. An issue that quite possibly is not strength related. I know it might be a hard pill to swallow but if you havent already tried it (I didnt read the initial thread in full), go find a good CHIROPRACTOR. If you are in Maine come on by www.yorkchiropractic.com

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Can ya help the doc heal his back...need core/back training tips! [Igotthelook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are words on gojessi.com?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Can ya help the doc heal his back...need core/back training tips! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things I love (but don't ever have time to do): Bikram yoga and stability ball exercises. I put together my own 30 min stability ball routine, which really helped me when I was marathong training. I would do it about 5 times a week very faithfully. I used to get a sore lower back after every run and strengthening my abs really helped!

Bikram yoga is great just to keep everything loose, but I'm sure any yoga program would have similar benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
17 years of on again off again low back pain, centered around L4/L5 and L5/Sacrum as the result of a bad car accident in an old car with terrible shoulder restraints that while buckled did not engage. The lap belt held my pelvis pretty stationary while my head busted the windshield.

No bone damage according to MRI and CAT, but lots of muscle damage, tearing and straining. I was prescribed lots and lots of drugs and rest and followed doctors orders for rehab. 215 lbs at the time and competitive athlete which probably kept the injuries to a minimum.

Long story short, I never had any significant pain relief or any stretch of time longer than a month or two from the day of the accident till two years ago when I aggravated it again and finally went to a Chiropractor. I've been to two others since, but now drive 1.5 hours to an ex-athlete Chiropractor that understands what I do, how I train and has produced more pain free days with his bare hands in two years than all the drugs I took for 15 years prior. This may not be the way for everyone, and they are not all equal, as I'm sure you know MD's aren't either.

I had a high volume week for me, including four swims this week with about 5000 yards of kicking alone and my back is just tight. No pain, no pain reliever necessary, and I'll feel 100% monday after my day off tomorrow. Two years ago, I'd be eating Ibuprofin every 4 hours, laying on ice and sure that I'd wake up tighter than I am now.

Good luck. I hope this helps, and from someone who knows pain...I hope you get some relief.

Hookem Horns 70-3 anybody......anyone????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc, I hurt my back (Bad!) moving a patient several years ago. Went to PT. had a good therapist/sports trainer. He worked my back off. It took all summer made Tri training seem easy. Ask a sports Doc for recommendations. Also, if I don't ride my bike on a regular basis my low back gets sore. Some posts have good ideas I do several. But get a good eval. Good luck.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok! Bro! do all of the previously mentioned things, BUT...Get yourself some braces (suspenders) and pants that are made to wear with the button on kind of suspenders.

I've had back problems since I hurt it hitting an american Twist serve as a freshman in college. the single biggest improvement can when my wife pestered me into wearing suspenders. the first day after I got them, I came home from bending over those kids all day and...whoa1 No back pain. The next day-- NO BACK pain. If my back hurts on the weekend (from wearing jeans) I put on some suspenders. I ski with them, AND since I sstarted using bibs on the bike..no back pain.

I occcasionally strain it doing something in the garden, or whatever, and bridges, dead lifts, and other core stuff really help prevent this, but NOTHING has helped like suspenders. People think it is a fashion thing with me. It's not. It's a back thing.

My wife is trying to get me to go back to belts NOW--NO WAY!

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely recommend a yoga video. I have a Baron Baptiste one. I don't do it often enough, but when I do I feel so great.

I also recommend you check out the book by Mark Verstegen called Core Performance. I saw it recommended on this site last year and I think it's one of the best core conditioning books out there. Here's a link to amazon for it:

http://www.amazon.com/...s=books&v=glance

Good luck with it. I've had upper back problems for years now and I know it's no fun.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get into the pool. Non-weight bearing activity is a panacea for lower back pain. Your body will be in traction which will allow your spine to calm down.

You can continue to train while rehabing. Do crunches in the water which will both strengthen your abs while stretch your lower back.

I have chiropracters, physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons, injured dancers and a few athletics I the pool. They all get better.

You need time to heel but your body needs to exercise. Do it in the water!

DougStern
Quote Reply