Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet)
Quote | Reply
I woke up at 1am, Nov 27th, race day, to the sound of thunder. Yep, a major thunder & lightning storm was moving through. Oh crap. I managed to get back to sleep, woke up at 3am, after having a bad dream that I missed the race start. I decided to get up, and at that time, as I looked at my watch, I realized the ALARM WASN'T EVEN SET!!! Holy cow! Had a boost-equivalent (sustagen) and a banana, got dressed and finished my packing for the day. Hubby and I set off at 4:55am, and I was sure there would be a delay in the start, if not a scrapping of the swim (i.e.: convert to a du). We pulled into the lot and a fellow rolled down his car window, said there was a 30min delay. Sure enough, looking Northward, I could see the clouds breaking, and as I stood there, the rain stopped just like a shower being turned off. Got to my bike (everyone laughed at my gels taped to the toptube, but hey it works for me, thanks), checked everything over, put on some tunes on the MP3 player, and started rocking out in my own head. Met my rack-mates, started suiting up, was feeling good. The sky kept getting clearer and clearer, but the wind was pretty strong and it was pretty cold out. Gave hubby a kiss.

I walked down to the swim start, it *was* cold, brrr... and the water looked very rough. I was very glad to be wearing my long sleeve rashie from Girls4Sport - they customized it for me by putting a pocket onthe back, so I could wear it all day and it totally kicked ass, best decision I made all day was to wear that top (more details later). The RAAF did a 4-pass flyover of the start, which was very cool. I hadn't seen anyone I knew, even though Don from my triclub was supposedly there racing too. Got in the water, heard the shotgun and headed out, at the back. The swim at this race is around a 2k wooden jetty, very cool, virtually zero sighting required, plus the fans can watch all the way along. I was aiming for anything under 1:30. Within 20minutes, I knew it was too choppy for anything better than that, I was working way too hard already. So I decided, f*uck it, whatever my time is, it is, just take it easy and have fun dammit. As soon as I neared the end of the 2k jetty, the waves were really brutal, huge swell. But as soon as I got around it, I could feel the change in the current, and it became really apparent just how much current I was fighting on the way out. On the way back in, I only had to swim away from the jetty enough to not get pushed into it. I found out later that quite a few folks did hit the jetty. Exited and the clock showed 1:28 - I found out later the clock had frozen there for a few minutes, my time was actually 1:31. Fine by me. Quick T1, and hit the bike.

Immediately was pummeled by wind, smack in my face. Geared down, and down, and just decided to spin it out until I had turned it to a tailwind. That bitumen is nasty. Apparently these roads are very good comapred to IMOz and other locales, but I tell ya, my insides were shook up pretty badly. I should have kept my old saddle, "Old Squishy", on the bike - my fanny was pretty damn sore. I managed an OK average speed, I had planned for a 7hr bike anyways, and it worked out just better than that (T1 and T2 times are included in my bike split - my bike time was closer to 6:50). Stuck to my drinking & eating plan until the last 30k, when I scarfed down a big fat oatmeal crisp cookie and ditched that nasty High5 electrolyte drink for cola. In retrospect, I should have switched to the cola earlier, that High5 sucked monkey ass. I used the water on my rashie sleeves and upper back to keep me nice and cool when it did start to heat up, later in the game. The pocket worked like a charm. And that tip someone on ST gave about using the miniM&Ms containers for salt tabs? brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The ONLY thing I forgot was to reapply the 30block on MY HANDS. You should see how burnt they were. From the wrist down, I look like such a freak, and now they are peeling badly. Blech. Oh well.

Got into to town for my last leg into T2, eased up, spun a bit more, drank and ate and drank and ate. In fact, I really dogged it on the entire last 60k loop, so I could eat and drink a lot. Hopped off the bike, walked to the tent, got my runners and visor on, and headed out. Oh yes with a lot of sunscreen from my helper ;-). Started the run, heard the announcer mention me (and try to pronounce my last name - they always screw it up), waved at him, and took off on the run. Started feeling very very good, but as per coach's advice, I really held back, took it very slowly. I was aiming for 5hrs, so plenty of time. I had fun waving and chatting with volunteers, spectators and other racers. The run was pancake flat, along the beach, and by now the wind had completely died, so it was warm. Surprisingly, I wasn't that hot, as long as I kept my rashie top wet. It was perfect. Ladies, I totally recommend it. You email Kim Ruby at Girls4sport.com (info on their website), and she'll hook you up, I promise you won't be disappointed.

I found that while it was nice to run with people, to have company, I really did run a lot better solo. And once I stopped drinking water (I was peeing every 15min), and just stuck with the cola, I started moving. I passed close to a hundred people in the last half of the run. I felt awesome, just moving good and steady. Once I got within the last 4 k, I actually stopped and walked a bit, I wanted to enjoy the feeling. The sun was just beginning to set, the starts were coming out, and it was a beautiful evening. I was feeling so good, and so happy, I just didn't care if I dawdled for an extra 5 or 10 minutes. So I did. Then I decided, well, I better finish, hubby will be waiting for me. As I came up to the entry of the finish chute, hubby was there with my Canadian flag, which I waved all the way down the chute. Finished in 13:46, with a big leap across the finish line.

Awesome stuff. Most fun I've had in a long time. Pics will come when I'm on a faster connection. I would love to do this race again, maybe in 2007 (or "when K's in uni" as hubby says). Hubby was a great sherpa, and it was nice having family there (2 of hubby's brothers llive in Perth, they were there, plus one nephew - K and the nephew had little t-shirts with Go Mom/Go Auntie Andy written all over them and little pompoms). Got back to the house, had a hot bath, assessed my nasty sunburns (thighs and hands, that was it), and started eating. I got up every hour that night to eat. PBJ, yogurt, sustagen, cheese, more cheese, then eggs, cheese omlette, more toast, sausages, bacon, hash browns, more toast, juice, litres and litres of chocolate milk. I had my first beer the next night, then it's been beer and wine and beer and wine ever since. A bit of surfing, a bit of beach going, but mostly eating and drinking.

Funny thing is I feel great, hardly stiff or sore at all. Back at running already. Looking forward to 2006 - the year of the run. I plan on watching my bike gather dust for oh.... about 6 months ;-)

AndyPants.

PS: DUNH! Brain fart! I forgot to thank another person without whom the day would have likely been a total sufferfest: my coach, Francois. Thank you so much, your workouts were awesome, and tough enough to make the day seem ridiculously easy. If I ever do this again, I will be looking to hire you again amigo... ;-)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Dec 3, 05 1:02
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Congrats to you! What a feat! =o) High 5!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP-Congrats on your race!

Sounds like you were smart all day,and most important.....YOU HAD FUN out there.

I'm impressed that you were hardly sore after the race. ,speaks volumes as far as your conditioning.

Looking forward to your pics.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job :-)

It's good thing that you didn't sleep in since you didn't have an alarm set. This is a recurring nightmare of mine. Generally because of this I typically wake up 30 or so minutes before the alaram goes off for most of my races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah!!! I guess these 6hrs threshold runs on the treadmill did help after all ;-)
hehehehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP

Great job - great report - thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBJ, yogurt, sustagen, cheese, more cheese, then eggs, cheese omlette, more toast, sausages, bacon, hash browns, more toast, juice, litres and litres of chocolate milk. I had my first beer the next night, then it's been beer and wine and beer and wine ever since.

================================================================================

Great race and report, awesome recovery plan. Gp Foodsluts!!!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race & report, AP,
I did the gels on the top tube trick as well. I got a nasty rash on the inside of my knee from rubbing against them. Otherwise, it worked well (I refuse to use a Bento Box). The whole thing is over rather quickly, isn't it? Same thing as you, I felt better after IM than running just a marathon.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. I especially like how you walked a bit towards the end of the marathon to soak up the atmosphere. That must have really been a great "life is good" moment. Congratulations again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work out there Andy, glad to hear that you had an excellent day. Love the recovery plan too - although I sure as hell wouln't be doing hour long runs 1 week after an IM!

But two questions remain... how does your coach feel about you doggin' it, and how many pies have you eaten since the race?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP's goals were to finish and to have fun.
Goals met.

Coach is happy. ;-)
Last edited by: Francois: Dec 3, 05 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool report...sounds like you had a great and adventurous time. Had to be nice not having to fight 2000+ people out there!

Good on ya and take a nice, well deserved break. And yeah, that Francois guy is allright, huh? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ISTO E QUE E VIDA!!! Loved it :-)))

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too cool, too cool. And that picture of you leaping across the line is priceless.

This seems like a really neat race, especially the swim around the jetty. Other than the less-than-stellar road surface, any other complaints?

Great job,
-Colin

Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A GREAT report on a wonderful event. Thank you for the insights!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race, girl! Congrats and enjoy your vacation!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It helped, having those things written on my aerobars. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the wind ;-). Everything else was great. LIke I wrote, I would love to do this one again, although the 3 loop bike course did get a bit monotonous...

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet....

and Khai, it's actually only been a few pies, been eating a lot of lamb and seafood and snaggas (sausages). In fact, we're off to a breakfast bbq in King's park this morning ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Can't wait to see the pics.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA race report (sorry no pics yet) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP,

Just back with an internet connection - Great job at WA - I was there, cheered everyone I thought looked like you!! People must have thought I was a loon! Sea swim looked a bitch, the wind on the bike must have been real tough and the heat on the run? I could feel myself burning.. the sun is so strong in Oz. Unfortunately, wasn't there to see your finish but congrats on a great result on a very tough day....!

JC
Quote Reply