Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orthotics, shoes don't fit anymore.
Quote | Reply
Hello, my name is Bill and I am a non-pronator ....

Seriously, my arches are so high that when I stand on a smooth surface, the outside of my foot does not touch the ground. That's right, just the ball and the heel, nothing in between. I figured this was the main cause of my ITB problems over the years. I also walk/run with my toes at 10 and 2 o'clock. Whenever I would try to self-correct and point my toes more down the road, it felt like I was falling off the outside of my shoes.

So I went to the local Chiro. college and got fitted for orthotics. Overall I am very happy. No pain and my toes just naturally go more forward. Still working on the running gait as I really have to concentrate on "toeing" off.

The only problem is I can't keep my shoes on anymore!

My high arches, combined with the thickness of the new footbeds really fill up my shoes and the laces don't seem long enough. (Before anyone asks, yes, I did take the existing footbeds out of the shoes before installing the orthotics.) But even worse is the heel situation. My foot is raised up so high the heel area of my shoes rides lower and doesn't grab, but rather rubs up and down. This is the case with two different models of running shoes I have. I have been able to come up with a temporary fix with one of the models. I took off the elastic speed laces and spend about 5 minutes cinching up the regular laces before I run. This holds them in place long enough for the short runs I am doing now as I get running again. But as the distances get longer, those tight laces are gonna hurt and the whole system just aint gonna work in a transition area.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem. Are there some shoes that just come up higher in the back? Do I buy a wider shoe? I already have plenty of room in front of my toe, so going up a size might be too much.

I know there is an Asics guy out there somewhere. I welcome your suggestions. I prefer to stick with a neutral shoe that will just let me and the orthotics do the work. Would a racing flat be a better way to go as a foundation for the orthotics?

Help!
Quote Reply
Re: New Orthotics, shoes don't fit anymore. [slowbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch rule: no pictures, didn't happen. Post a picture of your feet!

Three quick ideas:

1)Try using two seperate laces for each shoe: one near the bottom and one near the top. Or with one lace skip the holes in the middle of the tongue over your arch. That will allow the middle of the shoe to be "bigger" without compromising the snug fit at your ankles and toes. Doesn't solve your heel problem, but might help. Check out http://www.newbalance.com/...ter/getting_fit.html, click "lacing for a better fit" and click "high arch."

2)Did you have the orthotics done by a podiatrist or by a chiropractor? Many chiros do orthotics and some do them very well, but your feet are pretty far off the bell curve. Anyway, whoever did them may be able to adjust them a little so your heels are lower in the shoe, which might help your heel slip.

3)Take a look at trail running shoes from Salomon or Montrail. You don't need to worry about all the stability features that regular running shoes offer, so you should be fine in trail shoes. There are several models that are available with a higher ankle -- almost like a combination of running shoes and hiking boots. They often come in winter weight and summer weight. They also might have an integrated lacing system (Salomon does) that works great for normal feet but might not work well for your feet. Anyway, that kind of shoe might give you the ankle height you need to eliminate the heel slip.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
New York City
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get "better" orthotics - a nice, new carbon graphite shell is only 2mm thick, flexes nicely (that you likely need) and is really no thicker than your current shoes "sock liner"

Check out Northwest labs (google them) for some info - Chiros are not usually the best in orthotic fabrication/lab selection.

Re: New Orthotics, shoes don't fit anymore. [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof,

I see this is your area of expertise. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like you in my area who is like you, both mechanic and driver, If you know what I mean.

Is there some kind of organization of podiatrists who specialize in sports medicine that could refer me to someone like that in my area? I live way out in the corn, but I would be willing to drive quite a ways to talk to someone like that. I think the best you get from most practitioners is a general diagnosis and even more general treatment. How do i find someone with more specific experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM your way

Re: New Orthotics, shoes don't fit anymore. [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I got custom orthotics I had to switch from the narrower Asics lineup to the wider Brooks lineup. Problem solved. I also went up a half size because it was more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bill are you in the Chicago area? I have a simular foot situation to you and have some good experiences with a doc. group in lincoln park. Let me know if you're interested I'll forward you the information.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orthotics, shoes don't fit anymore. [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about 25 miles east of the Quad Cities. I'd make that drive in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM, let me know if you don't get it.
Quote Reply