Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it?
Quote | Reply
Or, overall, what's the least expensive wheel that is worht purchasing as a race wheel?

Assume going from stock FSA RD-200 (27mm rim depth like on the Tequilo) or similar stock wheelset. Clincher, 700, used for IM and shorter.

The three mm for a velocity hardly seems worht it, but it looks like there's a big jump in price (about $400) to go from there to a hed jet set.

I'm not sure I have either the patience or expertise to be constantly scouring ebay hoping to find a great deal. I'm not even sure what a fair price on a used wheelset is, so I'm wary of getting fleeced.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall seeing data suggesting that minimum rim depth to achieve aerodynamic improvement is in the 45-50mm range. Less than 45mm, weight becomes the determining factor. Using that information, I purchased a Spinergy Tilium SS front wheel on Ebay for $200, and put an aero wheel cover on the rear for $70, which has the same aero advantage as a disc wheel. Total cost less than $300. Not pretty, but effective.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Velocity Sparticus wheelset as training wheels (20 paired spokes), and think they would make great budget race wheels. They can be had for less than $250 a pair, Not the lightest, but they feel faster than my Ksyriums.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, but I think Velocity makes great training wheels and the 30mm at least looks cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really see how the velocity sparticus would be a budget race wheel any more than the stock fsa RD-200. The sparticus' are 3/4 heavier and only add 3 mm of rim depth. I know aero trumps weight, but there doesn't seem to be much more aero there. Seems like it's just as good to race on the training wheels.

Am I missing something? Maybe something about hub smoothness or something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3/4 heavier? I know the Velocities are heavy, but damn. How light are the FSAs? I guess I am a Velocity fan because I got a new pair off Ebay for $120. At that price the expectations are pretty low. I have them on my road bike as training wheels.

Didn't QR spec velocity wheels on some of their low end tri bikes?

Just looked it up. The FSA wheels are 260 grams lighter than the Velocity wheels. (0.57 LBS), Certainly not an insignificant difference.
Last edited by: Orbilius: Nov 30, 05 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I messed up the math. RD-200 is 1650 for the set. I think I used the weight for the 20/24 spartacus instead of the 16/20, which gives a .79 lb difference.

So it's over a half pound and still only gaining the 3 mm. The rd200 comes on the 05 tequilo, which i'm leaning toward buying, so I'd like to consider a set of race wheels with all the money i'm saving.

Which brings back my original question - what's the cheapest set of race wheels worth buying that are an improvement over what I'll have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like another poster mentioned, Ebay a deep section front wheel and get a CH aero cover for the rear wheel. If it where me, I would go with a used Hed 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my race wheels are a pair of campy shamals... 12/12 hpw and i think it's around 41mm?

i know it's really old school, but hell it works well for my lil budget! :P
plus it looks cool with that low spoke count!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to biketechreview.com and pay the $15 for Craig's wind tunnel data on race wheels. It's pretty interesting what's worth your money and what's not.

Having the data in my grubby little hands, I'd personally not waste money on anything less than 45 mm rim depth.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'd personally not waste money on anything less than 45 mm rim depth. "

I'll second Kraig's report. One exception to the under 45mm rule is the Campy Shamal. There was an old report on the net that concluded it was less aero but more stable in cross winds compared against a 60mm Hed Cx. I still use a Shamal front on windy days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp says it is 38mm. They test as much or more than anyone and found that any rim depth lower than 38 mm did not offer any improvement over a box section rim. That is why their 303 wheelset is 38 mm rim depth. This is why you almost have to use carbon to make a rim that deep without it being heavy as a tank. I own a tubular Shamal and it worked fine on flat courses, but I would never race it in the hills.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine just about any 45 mm depth rim would be less aero but better in crosswinds than a 60 mm depth rim. Nothing special about the Shamal in this regard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FSA RD-200/220 rims are ~1700-1750g per pair not including skewers. The Velocity Spartacus Pros (20/24 spoke) are 1778g for the pair I have. The regular Spartacus rims are about 20-30g heavier. The Velocitys are more like 3% heavier, otherwise known as irrelevant. Not that weight is incredibly important unless climbing the Alps or doing a lot of accelerations, which isn't what happens in probably 90% of the triathlons I do. The 400s or 600s are probably closer to the Spartacus in aero performance and ~200-300g lighter, but I have a hard time believing those wheels are worth $500-750 a set.

Regarding rim depth, there is a substantial advantage going to ~45mm or so, and a much smaller advantage increasing the depth from there to ~60mm. Law of diminishing returns and all. Rim shape matters a lot too, and the straightwall V shape of the Velocity rims isn't ideal. Personally I'd recommend a Spinergy Stealth SS (I ride last year's Tilium SS) with a disc rear (Renn, Hed, etc) as a great choice for a relatively inexpensive fast comfy set. I guarantee you'll get the same performance from that combo as buying a 404 set, and spend about half as much...and about the same as a set of FSA RD-600s.

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Nov 30, 05 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the report cover tri spokes (Hed) and disk wheels?

I notice an aero advantage with my AC420's with are only 34mm compared to a box rim. They are as fast as my 404's based on power meter testing. That may also have something to do with improved RR of the clinchers on the AC's.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of new Spinergy Stealth Carbon Tilium 2005 model on ebay for less than $500. They have been good so far an I only have used them for races and a couple of training rides. I think those are 45mm and they weight pretty much the same as the mavics on my road bike and less than the Velomax I have on my tri bike for training. During my purchase research I read good and bad reviews about this but the bad was more on the older versions. From my primitive research I gained probably a 0.6 mph speed increase over the training wheels at the same cadence over similar conditions and they maintain speed very well.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels - What's the min rim depth that's worth it? [Andy G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The report covers these wheels:

Description Front/Rear
ADA … front
Alex ALX220 … front
alex san remo … front
Ambrosio Medaille d'Or … front
American Classic 420 … front
american classic sprint350 … front
bontrager aero … front
bontrager carbon … front
Bontrager RaceLite … front