Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm back
Quote | Reply
1200 miles later. 45+ hours of work and 20-26 hours of training per week for 8 straight weeks does not lead to a very relaxing life. Last week I hit a low point and almost pulled over to the side of the road and quit. That was the first time I ever felt like I did not want to ride anymore, like I just wanted to be sick, throw down the bike and walk home. I have been riding around 1200 miles and 60,000 feet of climbing per month. I am tired every day and really slow. Dark when I get up, dark when I get home, 2000 calories per day plus 300-500 per hour of training, I burn 4100 calories on my normal Sunday ride. 500 kj per hour avg.
  • I have a 1000 yard stare into my bowl of oatmeal on Sunday mornings
  • A rider died last week on one of our local routes, his Madone fork cracked, went down and died of head injuries, his name was Michael Hart, tragic, he had a wife of 19 years and had kids
  • Powerbars are OK, but cinnamon buns are the best, as are crumble mini donuts and banana nut muffins
  • I am getting faster on the downhills, 45 mph is no sweat and 55 mph is ok but wild, I guess it just took practice
  • I am going through Assos chamois creme, Cytomax and Vivarin like it is going out of style
  • I use a 12-27 without any shame
  • I gained five pounds and lost another pant size, quads/glutes are bigger, strange
  • I climb in the drops whenever I can, it does wonders for the glutes
  • I rode 136 miles straight for the first time in my life. That was cool. Made it home just before dark. I did 295 miles that 3 day weekend.
  • I climbed 10,000 feet in one day for the first time ... also cool.

This is an attempt to break through to the next level, into the CAT 1/2 range. I am confident it will work.

I had to quit ST to make it. Just checking in. Seriously, quitting the forum really made the difference, I love you guys, but I had no idea how much time/energy this place sucked out of me. No offense Dan.

It was tough to go, but I had to do it. Try it sometime.

Looks like not too much has changed. Crazy posts as always. Hi Marisol, Hi Kittycat.

OK ... until next time ... (450 miles next week, will try to get pics from the mountain rides when I get back). Pray for no rain.

~Gary
Quote Reply
Re: I'm back [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm back [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see your still alive & kick'in!

Keep up the great training...it will pay off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen :).

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is "Duuuude".

I feel like a weinie sitting at my computer and walking only 20 minutes to get my newspaper in the morning.

Welcome back to ST.

Quote | Reply
Nice to see you back here, Gary. Also to hear what you have been doing, WOW!

Can you be a little morse specific on the effect that climbing in the drops has on the glutes? I assume you mean it makes them stronger as you are targetting that muscle or is it that the muscle is strengthened as climbing in the drops fatigues them earlier?

Good luck on into Cat 1/2.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. I just noted last night that you hadn't been around the forum lately, when someone else said you'd "left"...nice to see it was out training...the re-single life has at least 1 or 2 advantages, doesn't it...I did similar volume for only two separate two week stints last year and it yielded super results. I can only imagine what a monster you'll be after a bit of rest. How do you intend to maintain the gains deep into next summer?

And good luck with the up-Cat thing. A friend of mine just moved up to Cat 1 this year...he's a couple of years older than us, so there's plenty of time for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary, i can't believe you're doing all that!

Honestly that sounds like hell and back to me, but if you can keep on, i'm sure you'll get to where you want to go. that volume is huge! it's awesome!

so, be safe, keep on, and EAT! (you knew I would say that...lol)

kc
Last edited by: kittycat: Nov 30, 05 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A rider died last week on one of our local routes, his Madone fork cracked,"

Sorry to hear about such a tragic thing. It's scarey that a carbon fork on a high end bike would break. Probably one of the super light Bontrager forks. AFAIK they use Bontrager forks on the Madones as standard equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm back [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes that is very sad...too much of that news lately. even one story is too much...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to see your post Gary - I know a lot of people feel that way too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...haven't been on the forum either for ages.....and ages....and ages.....so hi to all out there who know me too.....in total contrast gary, I am going through the worst non-training spell ever.....but last week i found a gap and started running again.....it's something at least.....moved house, work mounting up, kids...you name it.....but i found my gap again...thanks to my parents who are with my youngest while I run....

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE IT! Sacrificing slowtwitch.com and a few other luxuries is what it takes for a rider-runner-triathlete or whomever to do it right! I don't believe it is the end all to be a great athlete, but all enduance athletes owe it to themselves to "do it right" at least once.

I consider Gary's journey to be similar to back packing Europe. You can't do it forever, but you will get some life experiences that will mold you as a rider and a person.

Won't promise that he will win any cat 1/2 races. Won't promise that he will get this license. What I will promise you, is that he will be able to tell the stories of his epic training that most of us will only imagine.

Keep turning those cranks Gary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you disappear for a few months and your damn post per day avg is still higher than mine. You wanker. Welcome back and good job. Hey if your bored, come up this weekend. We are biking from the Laveen High Performance Training Center to Tucson on Sat. Figure it's about 125miles or so, just what you need!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: I'm back [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DD

Wanker - I love it (not the reference as Gary being one of course)

That word was in my daily use file (multiple applications) for most of my life growing up in Aus.

It is sadly under-utilized here in the States

You made me laugh out loud reading it

THANK YOU!
Last edited by: AndrewJ: Nov 30, 05 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary, glad to hear from you. Your friend is an a better place where we will all join him, hopefully later than earlier.

In the mean time, enjoy your training. Being physically tired and a bit over-reached is OK. Being mentally tired is not OK. You need to feel mentally energized about your training, otherwise you'll slip into a physical fatigue funk.

Anyway, 60,000 ft of vertical per month rocks.

Take care.

Note to self: Inspect forks on all my bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, i thought this was a tri forum...;-)

your cycling sounds great, but lets hear about the run and swim training as well...
Quote Reply
Re: I'm back [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wanker - I love it "

Yes "wanker" is a very common expression in Britain. Was called it a few times when I lived in Engalnd. :-)

We hear it once in awhile in Canada and probably even less in the USA.
Quote Reply