Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running a marathon in first trimester?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child. She's been training hard for a marathon and recently found out she was pregnant. Surprise!

She'll be 9 weeks preg on the marathon date. Is it possible? Has anyone here did this? Her doc basically says its up to her. Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Re: Running a marathon in first trimester? [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can never replace a lost child. There will be many other marathons. I would not risk it, but it is up to you guys.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread talks about whether someone should do an ironman pregnant: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=50;

A marathon is a different kind of event, but there were some interesting thoughts in that thread. Don't expect any answers, though:)

Congrats on her pregnancy, though. Good news!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know women who have run a marathon while pregnant and the child has been fine, and others who have miscarried due to it. Personally, I don't believe any race is worth a child's life, but it is not my baby.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This summer I volunteered in the women's changing tent at Lake Placid. There was a women who handed me her timing chip after the bike (she was in at around 6:30-7:00 hours). She was 3 months pregnant, and although her doctor said she could do the whole ironman, she promised her husband she wouldn't do the marathon. Her doctor said that if you are training for an event, are in shape, and then get pregnant, its okay to do it.

My cousin ran Boston when she was 3 months pregnant and she's a doctor. She just gave herself an IV when she's was done. But for her, this is the only marathon she'll ever run and it was a big deal.

Its obviously an individual decision!
Quote Reply
Re: Running a marathon in first trimester? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did they know the miscarriage was due to the marathon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were warned by our OBGYN (who also happend to be a female athlete) about not running in the first trimester because of issues relating to the fetus/placenta attachment to the wall of the uterus. That's about all I can remember about that, and I don't remember if it was a general issue or just relating to my ex.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Running a marathon in first trimester? [mcastle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure... I wasn't close enough to the woman to ask for details like that, but that's what her OBGYN told her I guess.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, Congratulations!

Second, My recommendation would be to skip the race. Odds are that everything will be ok for your wife and the baby, but in the very slight chance that the worst case scenario occurs, you guys would really feel lousy. Don't take the chance, enjoy the pregnancy and run the marathon after the child is born.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Holden Cain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your child is a bit too young.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is 9 weeks preggo this week. Congrats!

No freaking way would she take on a marathon. But everyone is different. If her doc cleared it that is something. I would strongly advise her to go easy and NOT race or push herself. Maybe jog it or do it VERY easy.

Did you know this week your kid has fingerprints and has started moving? Oh and your blob weighs in at 2 grams. Be sure she is taking folic acid.
Quote Reply
Re: Running a marathon in first trimester? [RoughOnStuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How funny, I started Lake Placid in 04 12 weeks pregnant and completed the swim and half of the bike. We now have a very healthy baby boy and I had no complications to those 4 hours of minimal effort. I was tired and hungry at the 1/2 way point in the bike so I called it quits. I don't like the DNF, but I sure liked the tree I curled up under to wait to cheer on my husband and the other runners.

I was in the best shape of my life, up to that point and my friend who is an OBGYN and competitive triathlete told me it was okay as long as I took it easy. I knew my body and was attentive to it.

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running a marathon in first trimester? [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I decided against the race. She is looking forward to next year. Funny thing is, during her first pregnancy, she trained hard, jacuzzi, rollercoaster rides, and had a few drinks during the 1st trimester until she found out 6 weeks in. Our daughter is fine.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's probably for the best. We are probably looking at about the same due date around the end of June, which puts my last tri for '06 at early June.

When my first wife had my first kid (I know that sounds awful) we had no idea either. We drank really hard at an Aerosmith show, jacuzzi, drank some more - she smoked. As soon as she found out she was pregnant, probably around 6 weeks, she quit smoking, quit drinking abd ate healthy. Kid is almost 12 now and has been just a delight. Perfectly healthy and scary smart.

It is an irony that the first 12 weeks are the most critical for neorlogical and spinal cord development, but it is common for the pregnancy to not be discovered for a few weeks.

Huge congratulations again. Good on ya!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read up on this very subject in depth. The bottom line has to be how your wife feels at evry given moment. She needs to get a heart rate monitor and after between talking with her doctor and picking up a book on prenatal exercise, she should find an adequate heart zone to stick with while training and racing. I know many pregnant moms who ahve done marathons up to 4 monthes pregnant. But, she needs to be very aware of what her body is telling her. If she is not up to train one day, she needs to rest. If she is feeling ill or dizzy, she needs to let her doctor know.

Too many people neglect exercise programs while pregnant. It is th ehealthiest thing a mom can do for herself and her baby, as long as it is done smart and healthy.
Quote Reply