Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wind vs. Fluid trainer - major resitance difference?
Quote | Reply
Got on the trainer for the first time this year, but using a Blackburn Trakstand RX7 wind trainer this year versus Cycleops fluid2 last year. Same Spinervals tape, resistance at the "lowest" end of recommended (knob turned in 1.25 turns). Absolutely crushed me....cadence was too low (in 60's while in small ring/15, versus in the 80's on the fluid), speed is too low.

Is there a secret here? Is a wind trainer that much harder than the fluid? The Cycleops knob was also turned per their directions, which is 2.5 times. For those with Blackburn Wind trainers, how many times do you turn the knob?
Quote Reply
Re: Wind vs. Fluid trainer - major resitance difference? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone from using a Computrainer last year to a fluid2 this year, I find that the fluid2 is hard but at low cadence there is hardly any resistance, I guess as cadence increases then power increases exponentially. It clls for 2.5 turns but I only use 1 to 1.5 at the most.

I wouldn't want to ride a 'wind' trainer at 80 rpm...the noise would be deafening!
Quote Reply
Re: Wind vs. Fluid trainer - major resitance difference? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just go by feel and how hard I am working to achieve a certain cadence. I read in the manual for my Fluid2 something similar to 2.5 turns. I am not sure that is possible, but maybe I am doing something wrong. If I did 2.5 full turns I think the drum of the trainer would have popped the tire from so much pressure, I would not be able to turn the cranks once. I do about 1/2 of a turn after initial contact. I just go by perceived exertion. If I am spinning at 90rpm and it feels about as hard as 90rpms would on the road then I am cool with that.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply