Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious how you define "decent sized"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s great low key area...hotels limited but I think this will be an 700 half/ 300 full type of numbers.

And that’s not a knock, the shop I work for is sponsoring and helping put it on. It’s going to be cool event but it’s non IM so that’s going to limit its numbers off the bat.

Swim will be salt water but I think slack tide so no B2B style splits.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 6, 18 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
Curious how you define "decent sized"?

If they get the aforementioned 700/300 it would be a huge success without question.

I was thinking more like 400-500 for 70.3 & 150-250 for 140.6

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking 700 would be great 1st year race. 1k would be home run.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that's much more optimistic than I was expecting, I think non branded anything greater than 3-400 would be fantastic. Guess we will have to wait and see!

By the way I don't think it's out of the question for WTC to throw a new half around on the schedule around that time in the Southeast and really mess with their plans. Not saying wtc would target that race specifically just saying with Raleigh gone I think they could be looking for another race the makeup that lost revenue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only affect it will have is on the out of staters, but I think this race will do just fine. Remember their target success numbers arent even half of what WTC needs to be "successful". So 600 people signing up makes it worth their time easily. They don't have big board meetings talking about sucking ever dollar out of athletes like they do at WTC. And I can tell you locally here in NC atleast, FS Series is doing a lot for the endurance communities and I think the locals (and yes I'm counting Raleigh people as "locals" for this event, even though its 2.5 hrs away) will be behind it.

So honestly WTC can go anywhere and I don't think it would really matter. There is a growing sentiment in NC that people are "tired" of White Lake and thus a new change of scenery will do wonders for race numbers. I think it'll easily be 600+ combined.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would sign up for the Crystal Coast Full Booty...but its the same weekend as Ironman Santa Rosa...I will be doing IMSR instead.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone earlier noted the date....it's May 12th weekend (Sunday).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The only affect it will have is on the out of staters, but I think this race will do just fine. Remember their target success numbers arent even half of what WTC needs to be "successful". So 600 people signing up makes it worth their time easily. They don't have big board meetings talking about sucking ever dollar out of athletes like they do at WTC. And I can tell you locally here in NC atleast, FS Series is doing a lot for the endurance communities and I think the locals (and yes I'm counting Raleigh people as "locals" for this event, even though its 2.5 hrs away) will be behind it.

So honestly WTC can go anywhere and I don't think it would really matter. There is a growing sentiment in NC that people are "tired" of White Lake and thus a new change of scenery will do wonders for race numbers. I think it'll easily be 600+ combined.

I hope you're right, I love to have non-WTC events get good numbers, especially ones that are relatively local. I just don't have a lot of faith in my fellow athletes supporting it that well. Only time will tell....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Could they? Sure they would just be dealing with all new city councils...exchange Raleigh city council for Cary/Apex. So I'm not sure if an race has completely re changed it's entire setup at the same "location" before. I'm assuming Syracuse has kept the same locations for it's events, and not had to either re-do the permits or wait out the contract and then changed for new cities.

What your essentially suggesting is just make it the old Jordan Lake 70 tri that was around before the IM event and just maybe finish at Bond Park or something.

The Syracuse 70.3 actually take place in Jamesville, which is about 10+ miles from Syracuse. The first year (2010) had a point-to-point run from Jamesville to Syracuse. It was a nightmare for the city as road closures due to the runners cut the city in half and caused a lot of traffic issues. From year 2 and on the whole event stays out in the Jamesville area.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. The “Barcelona” IM takes place in Calella and it’s much easier than staging it in the actual city. Obviously Raleigh isn’t Barcelona but it’s still got a lot of people and traffic. There are plenty of outlying towns around Raleigh that would benefit from having a finish line on their Main Street, with lots less traffic to work around. We have the roads and the lakes around here and lots of triathletes everywhere (so many law schools...). It’s a shame we’re losing a local event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, This race intrigues me. The FS guys put on a good race. Would be good to do the race and make a beach week out of it. That can be a little early for beach weather, but it has possibility.

Really would be awesome for another 1/2 - Full race in NC... B2B was awesome until WTC killed it, but they were either doing a race there or Hilton Head, so it was inevitable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same concerns.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will def sign up for Crystal Coast. I have been curious about doing a full, but the price point on Ironman events is way to much for my blood to even attempt. If this race has a good price point I have no quarrel driving from Raleigh for a day. . .getting back would be rough.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM website now has this listed as TBD for 2019. Mistake or a possibility?
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [triry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably the default in their web page code to say TBD.

They don't want to take the page down since there are results on it i guess.
Quote Reply

Prev Next