Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how to plan an extra weekly 6-8 hour training block?
Quote | Reply
long story short, i have mondays off now & want to devote that time to training. i'm comfortable with my current, uncomplicated program which looks vaguely like this:

Swim Mon-Thurs mornings (~1hr/day)
Lift Tues & Thurs eves, sometimes more (~1hr)
Run M-Wed eves (~1hr)
Long run Thurs eves (~2hr)
Bike commute Wed-Fri (~2.5 hrs, longer on Fridays)
Long weekend training rides on tri bike &/or bricks as fancy takes me, usually 2-4 hours total. Occasional 50-60 mile slow, casual rides w/ friends as well.

i have been making gradual, regular improvement. should i just throw in a giant brick & then a yoga class (free at the gym)? i'd like to get more time on the tri bike, but won't take it out in the snow, which is around the corner. i don't think i have space for rollers, and improved handling on the aerobars is my biggest concern in that department... though running is where i need the most overall improvement at the moment.
Last edited by: brooklyn: Nov 18, 05 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: how to plan an extra weekly 6-8 hour training block? [brooklyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to clarify, the other idea i'm sort of toying with is maybe having my own personal weekly half-IM at a moderate pace.

...or maybe if i took on some monday freelance gigs, i could afford some new gadget & you'd all be eager to offer opinions? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: how to plan an extra weekly 6-8 hour training block? [brooklyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking to do 6-8 hours at once your plan indicates that there is room to manouvre and bump up Sat, Sun or Mon to 8 hours. Or did I miss something ?
Quote Reply
Re: how to plan an extra weekly 6-8 hour training block? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, exactly. i'm just trying to decide how to best structure that time for steady improvement. my fear is that 8 hours of straight training every monday will leave me burnt through midweek. but then again, doing a 1/2 IM length every week could give me a nice baseline...

all the training programs i've read are geared for folks who are trying to work it in around work/family/etc, so they're all about how to get the most impact out of an hour or two a day and a little extra on the weekends... but i don't have a lot of other obligations right now, and want to make the most of this time.

i guess to open the question up more, how would you train if you were fully sponsored? if your performance stayed the same, but suddenly you had nothing to do all day long but work hard to get faster?
Quote Reply