Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not heard his opinion on this yet. I do not believe Chad, who used 190's, had to get a custom frame and says things work fine.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What angle are you riding all those IM's at?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
78 degrees. I am so comfortable on that bike that I rarely come out of the aero position, and I'm pretty low to begin with. I have to remind myself to sit up once in a while to avoid male numbness issues.

Since getting the Carbo I have been 4/4 qualifying for Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Now, Ves has implied that maybe, he has not put the numbers in yet, that the DE frame would be good for shorter Tri races. But, for the longer races, a 78 would be better which is basically what you stated. Just keep trying to put logic together as to what different folks say, and what they are actually doing.

I assume there are folks who ride 80 plus angles for IM distances that can stay aero and comfortable. I do not believe my old bod could.

Okay, I heard your comment Yaqui bike, hawaii qualify. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are looking at it backwards. Steeper=MORE comfortable because it opens the thigh/torso angle. The trade off is bike handleing as you go steeper. If I were you i would get 1 bike and go steep. I have won outright 4 sprints on my bike.

The shame is since getting my Carbo I almost never ride my Litespeed Vortex. Right now the Vortex is my trainer bike! What a waste but when I'm out on the road I like to train like I race and I am so comfortable on the Carbo the Vortex stays home......unless it's crappy out then the Vortex comes out because I don't want to muck up my Yaqui.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, any reason you did not go with the DE frame then? Now, maybe it was not made at the time. But if not, have you considered upgrading your bike to the DE 80 degree. Steeper, more comfortable, and with the 50 rake, I hear still super handling.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DE did not exist when I got the Carbo. I don't know much about the DE. I certainly would consider a steeper frame like 80 degrees. I'm sure Ves could build a Carbo or Mariola at 80.

I went to the Yaqui site to look at the DE but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link?
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way back when (circa 1993 or 1994) I bought a QR Kilo Private Reserve. I believe Ves made the PRs back then...this was before QR was sold to Saucony. Loved that bike...raced it hard, crashed it hard, and never had any problems. I would probably still have it had I had gotten it with 700c wheels instead of 650c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ves told me he has not put the DE on the web, but clearly now has it. You can search for the article that Dan wrote on this bike which the link has been posted many times.

Here is the link

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...hctr/experiment.html

And another http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=yaqui;#608818

Chad has the DE at 80, plus with his seat pushed forward he says he may be 83 to 85 and loves it.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anything bad about Yaqui?
The name?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, that's what I would get. I'm a believer in going real steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one bad thing about Yaqui appears to be their website. I've tried to look at their bikes for two days. The opening page just sits there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Mariola 4 seasons now, and have ridden it in numerous races at all distances. Bottom line, it's a great ride. My only point would be, in my case, I don't climb that well on it compared to a standard road geometry. (78 degrees vs. 73.5). So for a course like IMLP I'm actually faster on standard road geometry. But for IMC (which is hilly, but more steady gradual climbing) I'm fine on the Yaqui. I suppose this says more about me than the bikes. But, if I ever do IMLP or any other course with similar type climbs, I may well ride my standard road bike. Apart from that, pretty hard to fault the build. You may have issues with no down tube bottle braze ons, but this is minor. I'm also going to change out the front end for next season and move on from the Syntace set up. Probably look at the new Easton Carbon integrated bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything bad about Yaqui?

I only have one.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny - I climb WAY better on my Yaqui than on my road bike (which was a huge improvement from my Softride).

The only thing I don't do well on my Yaqui is easy recovery rides. It's like driving an F1 car through a school zone... She just wants to GO!!!!!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, do folks have opinions about whether the extra money for carbon seat stays is worth it? What happens for a tall person like me if I do not get this?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ves claims they're stiffer. I'm 6'4" and ride an Ocotillo with AL seatstays and I think it's great. I didn't want to pay the upcharge. Besides, the bike is plenty stiff as it is and it's not like I need an uber-stiff bike for triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am 6'5, going to get your same bike, and he is suggesting. I assume he suggested to you, and you said no? 400 more bucks is a lot of money if it is NOT a MUST.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, he recommended it, but I declined. I also wanted custom paint. ;-) It's not that I question Ves' jusgement but I just didn't feel it was worth it for me. It was a value judgement for me.

Now of course one could question whether "custom paint" was worth it too...

I must admit, I'm still happy with my purchase and have no regrets about any of the specs.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything bad about Yaqui? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to resist the custom paint!! I will even consider holding off on race wheels. Time is the seat would be a better return on my investment.

(I am listening :o) )

Dave

Quote Reply

Prev Next