Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benefits of new aerobars
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2014 Cervelo P2 running Di2 and TriRig Omegas with a decent wheel setup (Stinger 9 and disc). My aerobars are the Zipp Vuka basebar, Alumina clips, and Bull carbon extensions. I've hidden the Di2 junction box behind the basebar. Just curious what aerobars, if any, would lead to much benefit over 40K. I have a decent position and obviously MIGHT benefit from some testing/new fit. Thanks for the advice!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of new aerobars [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are basebars that you could use your same extensions combo's that will save you 2-4w over the Zipp Vuka basebar.

Think thin

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gains from new clipons or basebar will be very minor. Two items you might want to look at:

1. Get a BTA cage and bottle to fill in the gap behind you hands.

2. Get an aero bento to clean up the airflow behind the stem/steerer.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just replaced my vuka bull base bar after near 8 years of service and while I found a few downsides with the bar I am not sure I would be quick to replace them. The biggest potential aero issue with the Vuka is often cable routing, but you have managed to make it look incredibly clean. I did find that the brake cables tended to wear out quickly due to the tight bend required to cable through the bar. A related issue is the bar ends which very narrow so you will never be able to maximize the bar using your current brake levers.

I ended up replacing the bar because it cracked at the junction of base bar and brake levers which might also be a function of the thin narrow nature of the bar ends. The cracking was more likely due to overtightening the brake levers and using the bike on a static trainer (where the bars are put under higher stress), but is happened underneath where you currently have bar tape. I was a bit lucky to catch the cracking early on when I was re-taping the bars as the bar would have likely have failed in a catastrophic manner on the road if it was continued to be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of new aerobars [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 On the older bikes bentos are almost a shoo in to be faster. On the newer bikes, flip of the coin...at best.
On the other side of that coin though, you need to storage. (shrugs shoulders..what are you going to do?)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of new aerobars [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. If the stem is already aero (see below), little to be gained. If (like the OP) you have a standard stem and steerer/spacers (typically lower end or older bikes) then there is def. a benefit.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wait at least until there's some data from the MorfTech bar. If it's definitively faster then you'll want to at least consider it.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of new aerobars [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dragging up the dead here-

What base bar would you recommend? Eyeing Vuka Bull or Profile Svet R.

thanks much.
Quote Reply