Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder
Quote | Reply
This article on the views of Mark Allen and Sister Madonna Buder is great:

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=1597

Just yesterday my dad and I were talking about the human mind. My dad is no athlete, but the conversation hovered around to, "Your mind is your own worst enemy, until you tame it, at which point, it is your best ally". So true. Just look at Natasha Badmann. She'd got the mental game elevated to Mark Allen like levels.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a marshall at Kona and riding the Queen K when I notice some activity at the overlook. Madona Buder had fallen on the bike and had a probable broken leg. She was arguing with EMS guys, saying she was "quite capable of continuing". I suggested to her that it was prudent to not risk severe injury, and live to race another day. That seemed to make sense. She, reluctantly, got in the ambulance. But, not without leaving instruction as to the care of her bike.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [lowcountry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you are talking about one of the previous year windy years ?
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would have been about 1994 0r 95. One of those was the "year of the 45 degree-slant ride to Hawi".

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [lowcountry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1995. That year was aparently insane. It is when Hellriegel in his first appearance at Kona outrode Allen by 17 minutes and then almost held the master off, staying in the lead for 22.5 miles.

1 MARK ALLEN USA 00:51:50 04:46:35 02:42:09 08:20:34 - 2 THOMAS HELLRIEGEL 00:55:17 04:29:37 02:58:05 08:22:59 0:02:25

To this day that 4:29 bike split has to be the top performance in the history of Hawaii. Talk about the battle "within". Amazing that Allen could run 2:42 off that bike ride after those hurricane force winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather ironic how you are preaching mental toughness, when Pros who don't have the mental toughness to finish a race get a pat on the back from you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger pussy - Mark Allen or Sister Madona Buder?

Mark Allen: Sat out the '94 race because he wanted to spend time with is son. Wuss.

Sister Madona Buder: Got blown clean off her bike in, I think it was the 2002 race. What a total poser.

Losers both of them. Complete failures in the eyes of any REAL triathlete. Unworthy of even being called triathletes. In fact, they should both just legally change their names to "Loser 1" and "Loser 2"
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [sbr140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird how someone with your education level chooses such a black and white world while the rest of us play in living color.
Quote Reply
Re: The battle within: Mark Allen on Sister Madonna Buder [sbr140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rather ironic how you are preaching mental toughness, when Pros who don't have the mental toughness to finish a race get a pat on the back from you.

Angry little bugger aren't you?

I think anybody who's qualified for Kona is a stud (or studette?). People train their asses off to try to get the privledge to race on the Queen K. But, I know, I'm wasting my time here... because anybody who dnfs is weak, a bad example for humanity, should get no support, ect. Modern day lepers.

You must be a real hoot at parties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax SBR140. Take a deep breath. Give your loved ones a hug. Maybe do a 25 hour training week to blow off some steam. Or blow up a picture of me and beat the crap out of it multiple times per day. Whatever it takes to blow off some steam :-).

I'm just saying that I admire Mark Allen and Madonna Buder, and the article was similar to a discussion that I was just having with my father. I'm trying to be positive here, not pick a fight :-). Just cause I don't question some pros for DNFing does not mean that I can't admire other people for their mental and spiritual side. Yes, Mark Allen rocks, so does Madonna Buder, Natasha Badmann as well as Norman Stadler, and Simon Lessing. I like all of these people for different reasons, some for mental toughness, some for their spiritual side, and others for having been World Champions. Sometimes, you can get all of this in one person. Its just my choice who I choose to like.

Hey, I even like you for your tenacity. If anything else, you'd kick ass in court case cause you are persistent as hell and likely would never quit (although in some cases, I'd be afraid that you'd alienate the jury by pressing the point too hard) :-)

Last time I checked, Lessing and Stadler have finished enough races and have been mentally tough too. At least mentally tough enough for me. Oct 15th was just not their day. I'll give people credit for being human.
Last edited by: devashish paul: Nov 14, 05 20:15
Quote Reply