Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bike geometry for girl w/hernias...HELP!
Quote | Reply
Currently riding a road bike with aero bars but need to upgrade. I love the power I get being aero however, the intra-abdominal pressure causes problems when I get too low. I have several abdominal hernias; 3 failed surgeries (not risking a 4th), residual gortex and marlex in my abdominal wall (that is now inoperable b/c it is inbedded in scar tissue), and adhesions....too much pressure causes problems.

Hoping someone may have some insight as to what type of bike I should go with, road or tri.

Oh, and the goal for 2006 is IMFL. Have done a couple of 1/2's but always end up with major GI distress and abdominal pain on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike geometry for girl w/hernias...HELP! [GiGi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone, anyone........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll try.

Any geometry that will allow you to keep an open hip angle will be the way to go be that road or tri. If you go tri, you will have to get forward to do that. If you go road, you can be more slack but you'll catch much more air. Not great for a windy IMF.

This is a job for a really top notch fitter. It sounds like the money would be well invested however given your unique issues.

Maybe worth a trip to visit Dan even (or get a recommendation from him).

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike geometry for girl w/hernias...HELP! [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tim. Wasn't sure if I could make it work on a tri bike. I have read all the articles but I don't really get what slack vs steep means. What does that look like? Steep meaning more forward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a picture of yourself...not necessarily with your bike...and you will get the advice you are looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Think of sitting in a straight backed chair. If you sit up straight, the angle between your torso and thighs is approx. 90 degrees. If you lean forward, the angle decreases, but you put more pressure interabdominally. To get low and keep that 90 degree angle, you'd have to tip the chair on its two forward legs.

That's one (the predominating) tri/TT fit in N. America; open, steep, forward. Tri/TT bikes have seat tube angles in the 80 degree range these days (steep). Traditional road frames are like 74 degrees. I have an older (used to be "steep") Merlin Triathlon frame that is 76 degrees that I put a forward seatpost on (Thomson setback flipped) to get more like 78 degrees.

Leaning forward/pushing the saddle back to get low is called shallow, slack, slammed.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply