Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lifeguarding Work in the U.S?
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

If there is anyone who would be able to help me out with getting some info on some lifeguard work (Prefered on the beach) in the states for next summer it would be a huge help. For the last 2 years I have been racing over in belguim for the Aussie winter and feel its time for a change but for me to be able to race in the U.S I will have to work. While in Australia I work as a lifeguard and have done it for the last 3 years since I finished school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gav
Quote Reply
Re: Lifeguarding Work in the U.S? [Savloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're ocean lifeguard certified you shouldn't have much trouble.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact each states dpt. where you'd like to go by looking on the internet. Most international services now have exchange schemes in place. I guard in the UK and I have access to schemes in both NZ and Oz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The New Jersey beach patrols typically have tryouts in early June, as a rookie you might not start until late June or early July but could work until Labor day. Same goes for Delaware. You would need a work visa or greencard, I'm not up to speed on all that. Some cities and patrols to check, contact the city hall or police dept. for info:

Atlantic City (biggest patrol & best pay in South Jersey)

Ocean City (nice beaches and town)

Cape May (nice place)

Delmar

Wildwood (more of a party town)

Avalon (nice place)

There are more patrols up north, I'm not familiar with all of them.

You can also try out on the Florida patrols, they hire year round depending on staffing needs. But if it's just for the summer I'd head to Jersey. There are a lot of triathletes and lifeguard competitions in South Jersey.

Miami, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Delray, Volusia County for starts in FL.

Have fun!

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son guards in CA for the state part time in the summers. It is very competetive along the coasts. You have bay watch lifers there. Inland waterways have more openings.

Quote | Reply
Send a PM to Monty (Mark Montgomery) who I believe worked in the biz for many years. I paid for most of my college as open water lifeguard...only time I ever got paid to train!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal on beach lifeguarding in CA. You have to find out when each dept has its annual swim test, fill out the application, pass the test, go through their interview, and pass their academy, and then you can work. As far as I know, you cannot just show up with a foreign lifeguarding credential and go to work. In LA county where I worked, the swim test is in Sept for the next summer, and the academy is 4 or 5 weekends in April and May. It is a big hassle, but the job starts at $20 an hour, and you get some benifits right away, even as a part timer. I believe the State lifeguards don't have as many weekends tied up for their dept, and most of the small cities maybe go 2 weekends. The East coast may be completely different, I've known a couple guys that have gone to Florida with LA credentials, and gotten jobs.

Good luck, it's a great way to earn a few bucks and stay in sports....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Escambia County, Florida / Santa Rosa Island Authority hires seasonal lifeguards for Pensacola Beach. The last couple of years they have hired some guards from Poland, because local kids are too lazy to pass the swimming test (600 yds. in under 10 mins.). Google the two above names and keep checking. There are no jobs advertised right now, but maybe around February/March there might be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New York City (you did not expect this one, did you?) has 2 options - Department of Parks and Recreation provides coverage for city beaches (Rockaway Beach, Brighton Beach, etc.) and city pools, while NY State handles some other areas (Riis Park, etc.)

NYC have been actively recruiting LGs across the pond and in the past several years brought large contingent of Eastern Europeans (primarily form Poland) for summer work. Average season last 3-4 months, with 6-day work week.

Options to train are limited - but you can do open water swimming on site, and run on the beach or boardwalk or near roads; cycling is definite challenge (I used rollers or trainer).

If interested, check online websites for Department of Parks and Recreations for NY City and NYS.
Quote Reply
Re: Lifeguarding Work in the U.S? [Distance Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may need to get your work visa all lined up before you set foot in a job application interview in the US or the rest may be a moot point. Most of the UK associates seem to have work arrangements, but the US doesn't always allow people to get visas that easy.
Quote Reply