Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Corima 4 spoke or HED 3
Quote | Reply
I already have a disk, but am looking at getting another rear wheel as a back up and to use at races where disks are not allowed. I'm guessing that they are fairly close in aerodynamics, maybe giving the edge to the HED. But I'm interested in a build quality, a good smooth hub, price, and to some extent weight. With this in mind, which do you like?
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tough to say too many good things about the Hed rear 3 spoke. It is one of my favorites. I use a disc for almost everything but the Hed 3 is darn near as fast.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to get my hands on a Corima 4 spoke, but they are expensive (really expensive) to buy new (are they even availible?) and damn near impossible to find used =\
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Corima 4 spoke for the rear and the Corima Aero for the front--love them both. But, truth be told, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top brands--HED, Zipp, Renn, Mavic, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [Doug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a four spoke front and rear. I would have like a rear disk but I was debating the light vs. aero and couldn't spring for a Zipp. The Tri's around here have alot short but fairly steep to non steep climbs, and alot of right left criterium like corners. So I thought weight should be a consideration and the Corimas are very light. They are made well but have nothing special in the brake contact area and could be less durable for that reason. You might keep an eye at ebay for these as they seem to loose value upon resale as compared to Zipp's which get top dollar. I always debate in my mind if one spoke less would have been better and perhaps the new Heds that are all carbon and lighter may be a better choice. Course then the 4 spokes may come up on ebay at a better price. I've nailed some pot holes pretty hard with only a 19mm front tubular on and the rim survived. Every time you just about dismount and check for damage as they aint cheap. I think too with IM Wisc. on the horizon these will work well with the hills there. So for me I like the choice. Now to work on a disk as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hed is lighter, looks way cooler and surface area even with one spoke less doesn't have a great deal of difference. You'll be able to pick a Hed 3 up a lot cheaper where you are and I'd fail to see the benefit you'd get by going for the Corima.
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read just the opposite, that the Corima is lighter than the Hed.

The published weights I saw were: H3- 925 grams, Corima 4spoke- 840 grams. These are for 650c wheels and are from last year so maybe things have changed.

Can't speak on the topic of comparative aerodynamics of the wheels but would guess that they are pretty close. Didn't Tim DeBoom win Kona using a Corima 4 spoke?
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you get that Info. The Corima is pure Carbon Fiber, while the HED has a bonded AL rim on it. I have the Corima and my wife has HED3's I weighed them both with tires and the Corima was lighter. Maybe mine are different? I have ridden both and the ride is basically the same. I'd say get which ever on you can find in good shape and cheapest.
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [mikeran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Corima is a lighter wheel as it is all Carbon, even the clincher in this wheel uses an all carbon rim. I believe Corima states that in using the 4 spoke wheel one must not inflate tire psi over 115, as the wheel can heat up with breaking on the carbon surface and cause problems with the tire. I think Corima is the only company to make a clincher wheel taht is all carbon. I have a new set of Zipp 404's that I love, and I am thinking about getting the Corima 4 spoke for a back wheel also.

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ridden a Hed3 but I have a Corima Four Spoke and cannot say enough good things about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have ridden both.....they are both quality wheels.....The HED will be least pricey..

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Corima 4 spoke (650c, tubular) rear wheel. Its is a fantastic wheel. Its been gathering dust since I converted to 700c. Shimano cassette. Decals have been removed. I'd guess less than a 900 miles are on the wheel.

My wife would love to see it leave the house; I'd like to replace it with a disc. Let me know if you are interested in the wheel.

(if this board doesn't allow the posting items for sale, please delete this post)
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [ktw70115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much for the Corima 4?
Quote Reply
Re: Corima 4 spoke or HED 3 [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I'd forgotten that I had the thing. I'd been meaning to put it on ebay, but never got around to it. Let me look around and see if I can figure out a "market" price. I'll get back to you shortly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had been racing with a corima 4 spoke/A12 combo that I borrowed from a “semi retired” friend.

It’s a fantastic wheel really bomb proof, and since I race both draft and non draft races the combo had shown to be great for the 2 types of racing. I would have race with it in IMFL but had the chance to race with a RENN 575 disc that Frank lent to me.

I don’t know why someone a few months back said that corima wheels aren’t improving their wheels HED only introduced to the market a full carbon wheel this year.

As for the price point…Corima is cheaper in Europe than in USA but HED or ZIPP are way too expensive over here.

Sergio Marques

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply