Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oh dick, dick, dick: Cheney on torture [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, situational ethics. Wait a minute. I think I heard about those somewhere before.

On a philosophical standpoint, it is difficult to argue that when one talks about honor and integrity it is somehow ok to forget that honor and integrity merely because an opponent doesn't stand to those same standards. I realize, of course, that we must live in the real world and not a philosophical ivory tower.

I guess I look at this as the fact that we are the most powerful nation the world has ever seen. And we go around the world encouraging others to use our value system of democracy and morals and ethics. If we are willing to forget those values, what does that tell our partners? Should they get to choose which values to ignore with respect to their dealings with us?

Do you think we are in danger of losing this war if we don't resort to even limited torture?

Quote | Reply
One word.... 'PRAGMATISM' ...

in this situation now it could mean the differennce between becoming victims too late to have regreets, or protecting our home and supporting our friends and trading partners, those around the world who adhere to humane and intergratable philosophies in their lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw the half steps already- let's forget about this silly torture stuff and just move straight to genocide. Most pragmatic solution you've offered.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Oh dick, dick, dick: Cheney on torture [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Screw the half steps already- let's forget about this silly torture stuff and just move straight to genocide. Most pragmatic solution you've offered."

That's what I offerred on this thread???? WHERE? Please quote.

Since you've labelled me a loony a carry on from previous threads, at least you are maintaining a diatribe consistent with that theme.

But your statement above? What you say, re-arranging words to suit your sarcasm? It's your concoction, not what I have offerred. Do show otherwise if you can.

I thought we were going to have some decent discussion on this prominent topic of current concern. But I guessed wrong. Evidently you too are one of those atypical who like to habitually digress to name calling, sarcasm and word twisting to put out of context remarks to make another look ridiculous. I guess it's self ego boosting, kind of like self-gratification on the net. A very common phenomena.

This kind of behaviour is to be expected and pretty typical on internet forums because people are not face to face without real consequences. As such, I'm not complaining, since no one held a gun to my head to be here. Just merely stating it to put your remarks in real context.

One thing I pass on to kids who I coach as well as my own. - "Don't confuse being smart with having a smart mouth."
Last edited by: kangaroo: Nov 9, 05 2:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I offerred on this thread???? WHERE? Please quote.

No, not on this thread, in another thread on the same issue. "Genocide the buggers if it comes to that ...it hasn't yet."

Entirely pragmatic.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Oh dick, dick, dick: Cheney on torture [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No, not on this thread, in another thread on the same issue. "Genocide the buggers if it comes to that ...it hasn't yet." - vitus exerpt chosen from Kangaroo post

"Screw the half steps already- let's forget about this silly torture stuff and just move straight to genocide." - vitus convenient translation of the above post.

Well vitus my that exerpt you plucked out? In it's full context refers to when the threat gives us no choice. When their capability and their intentiions to use it becomes a case of them or us.

With the Nazis, with the Japanese the response was extreme and even more extreme in that order. But it had to be done. Not so much as the end justifying the means as in just self-preservation of our own. Even more complicated and potentially more so with regards to self preservation, the threat we face today.

Also I'm not the only one whose offerred this potential scenario. Even educated Muslims, some of the very few educated prominent Arabs have expressed their trepidations as to this kind of potential outcome. They as Muslims know the interwoven nature of terrorism and the way their religion is. They know the insatiable appetite of the growing number of militants. And they fear that Genocidal measure to certain Muslim communities may be the only choice the West may have. Eg a nucleur weapons capable Iran.

This is a very different from your twisted version, "Screw the half steps already- let's forget about this silly torture stuff and just move straight to genocide." which you try putting into my mouth.

Entirely pragmatic is your accusation. Based on MY OWN remarks, not your BS version ... yes I accept.

As for your attempts to put words into my mouth and then ridicule it ...Entirely underhanded.
Quote Reply

Prev Next