Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pros and bike sponsorship
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how much Pros get paid to ride a certain bike frame? Obviously it depends on who they are but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [RAWOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Pro's are you talking about???? Most I know are on product contracts (including myself) but as you can imagine the ironman / Olympic reps are on varying contracts from thousands into tens of thousands. Nothing like Tour de Lance riders.

Why do you want to know????????
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [Slapper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of results do you need to have before pursuing a product contract of some sort?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I do not call myself PRO, i rather say elite, as I don´t make a living out of this sport, I have a Ironman podium but still riding a second hand 8 years old frameset.

Pro´s lifestyle are overrated among Age Groupers, is not like this, unless you are an Ironman WInner, you won´t be getting a new bike every year.

You have no idea how a brand new frameset would make me happy :)

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pros who actually get paid to ride a bike are no more then 10 in the world of triathlon I would say..

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knowing several people who are "pros" I can tell you they typically dont get paid to ride a frame. Like stated above they get wholesale pricing on the frame or sometimes provided for free. Those who are paid to ride a certain frame are few and far between. I do know of some companies or teams that will reimburse some race fees for a top 3 overall place, or if a picture makes it to print with the company name or product being shown there is a small bonus. These are still extremely small amounts of money and not something these guys can live off of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who is a pro. I believe that she gets a new frame each year for free, but then has to return it at the end of the or buy it wholesale. She sometimes does the latter and then sells it on ebay to help pay the bills. As said before, except for perhaps an elite few, it's no glamorous life.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [Slapper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume a product contract is that you get free product?

So if a bike manufacturer with a quality product wanted to get their bike ridden by athletes of the quality to win a IM race, would they have to fund them as well as give free product?

The reason I wanted to know is because I am working on a marketing plan for a small business and wanted to understand how the sponsorship side works.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that would be about right. Perhaps a bit more than 10, but not much. The standard deal is a loaner bike from a bike shop or manufacturer that has to be returned at the end of the seaon or that athlete can buy the bike for a very good price.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think someone wrote a book about sponsorships. Don't know the author or title. Maybe someone on ST might?

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None typically, The superstars on the other hand have endorsement deals that range from the bike companies to analgesic vendors.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The largest amount I know of that's current is $20k+ w/8 or 9 complete bikes (mostly for reselling), plus bonuses. Total value may be around $70k US in a good year.

Most decent pros will race for a free bike and some sort of performance bonus schedule. Not much cash gets thrown around upfront.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [boone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get into detail with this later when I have time. There are probably 10 pro's in the US alone on financial deals with bike companies the highest I know of is about $25,000 + bonuses a year. Bonuses are paid to probably 50 pros in regards to race results. There are probably another 50-100 on product deals as I am. (all in the US as Europe has some crazy deals).

Any more questions I will be back later.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vinnie, if you are a pro/elite, here is a suggestion. Use your own name.

Add all your sponsors to your signature block here on Slowtwitch.

Each time you post, people will know who you are and who sponsors you. You will create exposure of your "personal brand" as well as your "sponsor's brand".

Take every possible opportunity to create awareness for your "personal brand". Put a link to your website in your signature block. You'll be amazed how often people actually click on it, especially when you have something useful to say. Get people to follow the link to your website to learn about you and where you will be racing next and on what products. Link back to your sponsors from your website, so that they are using your website as a marketing channel.

Half the job of a pro triathlete is the business side of the equation. The other half is racing (or so I am told by pros who have made a high 5 figure or low 6 figure living at it). Posting anonymously is totally a lot opportunity on the branding front. Before you know it, you might be on a brand new bike, not a second hand machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [boone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boone,

I know many, many age group triathlete's with much better contracts then good pro's. Its all about marketing. If you have something that sets you aside from everyone else out there racing (like cancer!) and you market it (for the benefit of yourself or a charity) you can gain sponsorship. This exposure can be marketed to different companies for financial gain. So you end up making millions without ever winning a race! (Well at least you might get a free pair of shoes!) Meanwhile the Pro that forked out $500 for the flight to the race plus $200 for a rental car wins $1000 and takes home $300. Not bad for a months training, at least 5c per hour.

So to answer your question.....

Post: What kind of results do you need to have before pursuing a product contract of some sort?

Answer: None! Unless you have a spine and then I would go for at least podium finishers in regional races. At least then you resume will be opened, read over before making its way to the trash bin. Unfortunately it seems to be more about personal contacts in the industry rather than performances (ok to a degree, win ironman as a pro and its a little different). I would start with local businesses in your area and work out from there. Do the leg work and you will make the connections. Keep sending out resumes to the big companies as sometimes random people get chosen for a contract.

Race well and win, and it wont be a problem. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Dev,

Yes, I know its ALL about marketing, I´m almost done with my Business Degree so I´ve learnt few things, plus I have many friends who are slower than myself, yet get themselves great deals.

As i just posted on the diabetes thread, I have Diabetes since the age of 16 (22 now) so I believe i have quite a ´´product´´ to sell and a positive ´´brand´´ as you put, to show.

BUT, for the time, i´m not really worried about sponsorship, rather, i´m training my arse off (can´t really believe I´ve post 3 times in less than 24 hours), so peharps when I can go 8:30 in an Ironman, life will be easier.

Thanks a lot for the advices, always welcome to get advices willing to help.

Vinnie

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and bike sponsorship [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the great replies. I have a great relationship with my LBS for which I am very thankful for. However, a top of the line tri bike at a huge discount is still incredibly expensive. For now I will continue to race and train on my $900 machine and save my pennies! It's all about the engine anyway, right?
Quote Reply