Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lurker RR and nutrition questions (LONG)
Quote | Reply
So, I've been mostly a lurker all season, learning a lot and getting some great entertainment, but now I need a little help. I had a bad nutrition/hydration issue at my first half-ironman (SOMA) and am hoping someone can help diagnose. to keep it somewhat interesting, I'll include my race report. I'm not super competitive, as you'll see by my times, but I would like to improve my times.
I got up around 4 to eat breakfast (PB sandwich and half of a banana). I was drinking gatorade and visiting the porta potty throughout the morning - everything was in working order
The swim went well - I really took it really easy, as I’ve never swam the distance (1.2 miles) in open water before and wanted to save my energy.
It was a long swim east, which made sighting difficult, as you were looking right into the sun through foggy goggles. I got a little off course by drafting off a group of swimmers, but after a noticing a kayaker, we were headed back around the correct bouys. The swim back west was better because there was no sun, but by then I had caught some of the guys in the wave ahead of me, and they are meaner and more physical. I suffered one kick to the chest, which could have been accidental, so I didn’t mind too much. About 500 meters out, I was at about hip level of some girl who kept veering into me; I was just trying to keep straight when she stops swimming for a second, grabs my shoulder and shoved me away from her! I was going to start throwing punches, but decided to just speed up and get away from her, after all, I was afraid if my biceps flexed in my wetsuit, I might tear it. When I got out of the water (which was weird because there was no beach, just a set of steps that some boys pulled you up) I ran to the strippers, who made me feel a little violated, and impressed at the same time!
My transition was fine, just over 2 minutes.

The bike was three loops. There were several out-and-back areas where you could see people ahead of you and behind you on the course. My sister beat me out of the water (she always does) but I always catch her on the bike, so I was watching for her. About mile 9, I saw her an estimated 2 minutes ahead of me, so I was trying to catch her. As I’m riding, I notice people slowing and jumping into the left lane. I look up and see a guy laying on the road, bike crumpled, blood coming out of his split open head and his mouth. And there is my little sister (a firefighter and EMT), leaning over him taking vital signs. What a good helper! She was the first one there – a trauma surgeon who was a little behind me also stopped and they were able to keep the guy still and make sure he didn't choke until the fire department got there. Then she cleaned up and got back on her bike. I saw her around mile 30, about 4 minutes behind me.
At one point on my bike, I’m just riding along, and a girl starts to ride up next to me to pass. All of a sudden we hear someone screaming behind us “LEFT!!” so we move over, and then Chris Leigh flys by us like we’re sitting in a spin class! It was pretty cool to race with pros, even though that was Chris Leigh not just passing me, but LAPPING me!
I was doing my practiced nutrition plan: first 30 minutes on the bike was just water - as much as I could take in. Then a gel (crank e-gels 150 calories) every 30 minutes with water. at 10 minutes and 20 minutes, I tried to drink two or three big swigs of gatorade. By mile 25 I had to pee so bad! I was trying to hold it, but by mile 39, I realized I couldn’t, so I stopped for a quick pit stop. During that time, my sister passed me, and I spent the last 17 miles trying to catch her. I finally did – at the bike rack! I had taken in about 40 ounces of water, and probably 25-30 ounces of gatorade, with 5 150-calorie gels and one 100 calorie gel.
My bike time was 3:28 – I was hoping for 3:40, (I know I'm slow)
Our second transition was good because we were there together, helmet off, sunglasses off, bike shoes off, socks on, running shoes on, skirt on (mom bought them - says they take better pictures) hat on, fresh sunglasses on, take a quick picture of each other with disposable camera, more chapstick, a quick spray of sunscreen, grab the gels for the run and a handful of pretzels.

The run was two 6.6 mile loops. Our first loop was uneventful – had a few bites of a cookie at the mile 2 aid station, but other than that, stuck to water, gel and Gatorade. I had gatorade at mile 1, 3,4, and 6. gel and water and 2, and 5. and We saw our fan club at the end of our first loop, about 75 minutes into the run. I was hoping for a 2:30 on the run, so I was right on track.
The second loop was not so fun. By mile 8, my belly was feeling full, so I just sucked on some ice. by mile 9, my belly was not cooperating. I could feel so much water and Gatorade sloshing around, it really hurt! It was so hot, so I wanted to keep taking in fluid, but I couldn’t fit any more in my belly. I stopped at every porta potty, but no luck. nothing (liquid, solid or gas) was moving in either direction - kinda gross, but maybe it helps you figure out what went wrong. I didn't take in any calories after this point except two sips of coke, which did nothing for me.
We had started the race running the whole thing, walking a few feet before each aid station, through the aid station and a few feet after, making sure we could get our water/Gatorade in us. By mile 10, we were walking about 2-4 minutes of every mile. It was pretty rough – we made it to the end, and were able to cross the finish line in our matching skirts laughing, smiling, holding hands and uninjured! Our time for the run was not impressive at all, so I’ll just not put it in here, but we did not throw up!

It took about an hour to an hour and a half before my belly loosened up and it was several hours before I could eat solid food, but once we did, it was wings, pizza, French fries, fish fry and soda!

It was a well-organized race and the volunteers were so great! I have a new respect for this distance – it was more challenging than I had thought it would be. It also made me a little bit terrified for the full ironman in September, but not “forfeit-my-$400-terrified” so I’m still in!

So what was my problem: too much/too little calories, sodium or water? I have high blood pressure (only one kidney) so I'm apprehensive about salt tablets - but do you think I need them for long distance races? thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Quote Reply
Re: Lurker RR and nutrition questions (LONG) [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good report. I am not expert and have had my own troubles finishing the last few miles of a half IM running stong...sometimes due to fitness, sometimes due to nutrition.

My thoughts are that your breakfast was a little light. If you ate at four, do you think you ate 3 hours before you started the race? I would shoot for 2 hours if possible...800 calories would be nice if you can handle it.

Try salt tablets. If all the liquid was sloshing around in your stomach, it might be due to electrolyte imbalance.

Sounds like your calorie intake was good at 300/hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this might be a good thread for you to look at http://www.coachgordo.com/...x.php?showtopic=5546 - his situation was a little different but there is some good info there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race report, and great job sticking it out and finishing the race!

Nutrition is a little different for everyone, but I would say you were taking in too much during the race. A gel every 30 minutes, plus gatorade and water....stomach would have a hard time keeping up. Best thing to do is practice. I did some 5 hour "easy" rides to practice my nutrition. I found that one gel every 50-60 minutes is best for my digestion. Also, your stomach can't digest as well on the run, so make sure you are hydrated before you get to the run. I like to take one or two gulps of water/gatorade at each rest stop. That worked perfect for me.

Good luck at the next one. Nailing the nutrition plan will make a world of difference, so practice practice practice.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your 1/2 IM finish! Just some notes: Pre-Race: aim at 200-300 calories for every hour prior to race start. If SOMA was a typical start time (7am), you should have consumed 600-900 calories 3 hours prior to the race. I generally eat 2 hours prior to race start. Your PB & 1/2 banana sandwich probably equaled 350-400 calories depending on type of bread and volume of PB. Gatorade provides 50 calories/8 ounces. If this breakfast works for you, eat the sandwich 2 hours prior to race start along with ~16 ounces of water and then 1 hour before, sip on 16 ounces of Gatorade. During race: You don't need to start with calories until 60-90 minutes into racing which is what it sounds like you did. At your speed (16 mph), you can calculate your hourly expenditure and calorie needs with the following equation: (0.0615 x body weight in lbs x 60 minutes) x 0.3 = goal hourly calorie intake I am guessing your near 350 calorie/hour regimen exceeds this, which is why the fluids/Gatorade you were ingesting on the run were just collecting in your belly causing bloating rather than being distributed to your working muscles. Excessive calorie intake increases blood, water and oxygen flow to the stomach to aid in digestion, triggering a multitude of GI (gastrointestinal) issues. Next time, cut back on your calorie intake during the bike and make sure to meet your fluid and electrolyte needs by matching your sweat rate (average endurance athlete loses 16-32 oz water and 1/2-1gram salt per hour). Healthy Ironman trails,
Kim Mueller, MS, RD Sports Nutritionist www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Last edited by: KimBrown: Nov 4, 05 17:19
Quote Reply