Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hernia surgery - kid.
Quote | Reply
Duffy Jr. has a hernia (groin).

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hernia surgery - kid. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bad is it?

The amazing healthcare system we have here in Mexico usually tells kids to wait it out as the body can probably ''fix'' on its own if its not too bad...a 12yo that I know got a hernia working with his brothers, went to the doc, doc told him to wait it out and try to wear a safety belt, he's 15yo now and doing much better, doing sports, working, with no discomfort or pain and may avoid surgery...granted the surgery your son will have is probably MUCH better than anything he would have here and that may be one of the reasons its avoided here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm your age, but had inguinal hernia surgery 1 year ago. The first few days sucked if I let the pain meds wear off (Norco). Definitely take the stool softeners religiously while taking pain meds. I cut the dope out after a week, except a night or two if when I over did activity during the day. At two weeks i had my post-op appointment with surgeon, he mostly admired his handy work, but I was feeling generally OK and went back to training, albeit slow and easy at first. I raced a sprint tri 3 weeks post-op without any issues.

I would get slight soreness at the surgery site for about 7 months, then it just completely faded away. My only reminder of the hernia now is a sweet scar.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me everything...

Mine had his done when he was very young, apparently a birth defect we notice at 3-4 YO range. For him no biggy and no complications and no problems since. Was almost an out patient procedure. Went in the AM, surgery was short, out by afternoon. Biggest "Effect" was post op with the question of "Why do they have two TV's in here playing the same thing"....took a while for the anesthesia to wear off.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

Both my kids, boy and girl, had them fixed as young children. No big deal, easy recovery. How old is your kid? I suspect the younger the better.
Quote Reply
Re: Hernia surgery - kid. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

Both my kids, boy and girl, had them fixed as young children. No big deal, easy recovery. How old is your kid? I suspect the younger the better.

He's 11.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had inguinal hernia surgery December '15. I participated in a phase 3 clinical trial for a lidocain infused collagen patch put underneath the mesh. Unbelievable, NEARLY pain free for days 1-3, worst was day 4 where simple ibuprofen was needed to make things managable. Best part was having the surgery completely paid for and I was given $300 cash on top.

I have a good friend who's father started the trauma center at a big hospital and went on to start a surgery center where I had it done. My friend started the research center that participates in the clinical trial that I did. Both recommended the mesh patch over arthroscopic. 99.something percent change the mesh holds for the rest of your life.

I'm sure that there'll be some actual doctors replying, but I'm a big believer in fixing stuff that is broken. Hernia's are not something to mess around with, especially inguinal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's 11.

You just need to do some PCP before the surgery and you'll be fine. Then you both can be stoned post op.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

He's 11.

My kids were a lot younger than that, I think one was 3 or 4 and the other 5 or 6 when they had it done. I'd guess it would be a bit more recovery for an 11 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a bi-lateral as a kid (somewhere between 3 and 5). I do not remember much, but have had no issues since. Scars are almost completely gone. I would imagine in the past 40 years the procedure has improved.

Hope the surgery goes well.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son had it done at age four. I spotted the hernia. It didn't bother him, but was pretty big. This was seventeen years ago.

It was a simple, out patient procedure. The doctor who fixed my son pretty much did just hernia repairs. Because son was so young and it was done in a children's hospital, we parents got to be with son quite a bit beforehand and then immediately afterwards.

I remember son being pretty sore and still for the first few days. He watched lots of TV and didn't eat much. (An eleven yo would play video games today and binge watch some Netflix shows.) After a week he felt pretty good and the challenge was to keep him from running, jumping, and falling. (I think that high impact activities/fall risk activities were forbidden for a month. Can't remember about swimming.)

The first bowel movement after surgery was an issue. Son didn't want to push and was afraid it would hurt. I felt like I was coaching him through childbirth. I fed him lots of fiber and fluids after that.

We explained what was going on to the extent we could to a four yo. An eleven yo could understand a lot more and would be easier to handle in some ways because he could comprehend more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did things turn out? I had a sports hernia myself which sounds like it might have been the same exact thing (https://physiqz.com/...s-athletic-pubalgia/). Is there a specific rehabilitation program you were given during recovery? I feel like i've never "quite" gotten over my groin hernia/sports hernia. It's so frustrating as I used to be extremely fit and athletic and now it's not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: Hernia surgery - kid. [Jonjac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s been totally fine for the last 2 1/2 years, basically since about a month after the surgery.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

Do like Rand Paul... fly to our broken Canadian Health care system and have it done here.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hernia surgery when I was an infant. I obviously don't remember that, but I still have a scar because they made the incision diagonally. Chicks love it, so I say. I had another surgery on the other side when I was 13. Had to miss out on half of the Pony League baseball season. That time, the incision was horizontal, and you can't see the scar. Chicks still love it.

Recovery from the one I can remember was mostly uneventful. The only hiccup came from when I watched Benny Hill while still in the hospital. Laughing hurts right after a hernia surgery. And I was too stupid to turn off the tv. So my only advice to your would be to not watch slapstick comedy.

I had a navel hernia last year, and there's no scar from the surgery. I'm too old now for chicks to care. They didn't install any mesh, as it wasn't that bad. That said, I was so backed up from the medication that I didn't shit for several days, even though I had returned to work. I finally took a laxative and had to excuse myself from a meeting several times in order to shit.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Jan 15, 19 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Hernia surgery - kid. [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

Do like Rand Paul... fly to our broken Canadian Health care system and have it done here.

I’ll be sure to travel back in time and do that.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

My son had one when he was 3, no big deal. It was outpatient surgery and there were never any problems. He's 27 now and has not had any complications as a result.

Hope everything goes well.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Hernia surgery - kid. [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

He's getting surgery.

Tell me everything...

My son had one when he was 3, no big deal. It was outpatient surgery and there were never any problems. He's 27 now and has not had any complications as a result.

Hope everything goes well.

Yeah, Duffy Jr. had one BACK IN 2016. I hope it goes well, too.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply