Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I am currently very into road riding, mountain bike riding, and swimming. I am very interested in getting into tri's for next year. My down fall is the run. I have never really trained for running and it isn't currently a part of my workout. I am at a loss of where to start training with my running. I am open for any suggestions of training exercises and training goals I might set up for myself.

~Work hard and play harder:)!!!~
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [pbikergirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get some good running shoes and start running! Grab a few books about running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go... run as far as you can. The next day, try to go a little farther.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the last person on this forum to be giving running advice, but a good place to begin is by entering local area 5 and 10 kms running races. This will quickly show you were you're at with your running and is also an opportunity to meet runners.

Also check out some of the running stores in your area. They usually have programs for beginners.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the advice! I entered in a 5k turkey trot race on Thanksgiving thinking that I will have enough training time under my belt to finish somewhat respectably:).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you better make in under 26 minutes or no turkey for you! And dont trot like a turkey!
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join a local running club. Running with a group is fun and they'll be able to show you where all the best local trails are. Don't be intimidated either, they were all beginners once too and if they're like all the runners I've ever met they'll be glad to have you and be very welcoming.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably the slowest runner on the board, but here are several training schedules by a dude that knows of what he speaks:

www.halhigdon.com

(edited to fix link)

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Last edited by: Xenu: Nov 3, 05 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard from different people that trail running is the best way to train because it is better on your joints. I am all for keeping my joints working well but I am also apprehensive about triping over rocks and tree roots. What's the general consensus?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my only words of advice would be to start off rather slowly. as you have a fine aerobic engine from all that cycling, your legs/knees/feet won't be so used to the impact of running and too much too soon can cause injury.

just speaking from my experience.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless your joints are in trouble already running on asphalt won't do any damage unless you're running big mileage. Trails however are generally more fun and at least the ones around here are well maintained and unless you're a complete klutz you should be OK.

Nothing to worry about.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try going to a local running store, or two, and talk to the folks there. You're going to need shoes. Now, which shoes to wear should start a huge flame war on this forum, but you'll need shoes that are comfortable and fit properly (I'll leave the motion control, pronating, cushioning discussion to others). Try running a mile on a local track. See how that feels. If you feel like you can go farther, run two miles the next time. The trick for you will be to figure out how to work in running workouts into your biking and swimming workouts. Since it sounds like you already do the biking and swimming thing, you could spend more time running.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a running store fairly near by to where I live. I am prone to ankle problems so hopefully they can fit me up with something that will allow me to save my ankles. I am very curious to try trail running to see if I find it enjoyable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From personal experience (as a non-runner):

Get good shoes from a running store. (Not a generic sporting good store.)

Start slow and short with lots of walking breaks. (Depending on your current physical condition - 10 minutes/mile, 20 minutes, 5 minutes run to 2 minute walks). Increase time or distance by no more than 10% each week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get good shoes-don't cheap out. (I like Asics)

Steadily increase your mileage after you have built a base for 3-4 weeks. Increasing miles too fast can bring on shin splints and other unpleasant things. If you get achy take a few days off and swim.

A good stretch during cool down.

I like to do a mixture of long slow distance and strength work. Strength work for me consists of a mixture of hills and intervals on the track.

Don't wear baggy shorts.

Quote | Reply
Good suggestions from the others (especially Last Tri in 83 - don't wear baggy shorts). Trail running is great because grass/dirt is more forgiving that asphalt and won't put as much stress on your joints. Trail running will also force the small muscles in your foot/ankle/lower leg to adjust to the uneven surface thereby giving you a balancing type of workout. Once you get started you have to post a picture, otherwise we won't give you any more advice ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancel all road riding, mountain biking and swimming for the next two months. Run exclusively. 6X per week. Sign up and train for a 1/2 marathon in Jan-Feb. After the 1/2, start cycling and swimming again and cut the running frequency to 5X per week.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to give your body recovery time. My suggestion:

Day 1 : long run, maybe 5-7 miles to start; Day 2: rest; Day 3: recovery run 15 minutes out, 15 back at a jog; Day 4: x-train; Day 5 speed work (440 splits at a local high school track or a tempo run, 2-4 miles at a "slightly winded" pace); Day 6: x-train; Day 7 x-train or rest.

You can start on any day of the week. For example Day 1 for me is Saturday.

Increase your speed and mileage by modest amounts.

Have fun! Listen to your body.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Running Suggestions [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Where I live in Ohio :( it is almost time for bed but I am already planning my first trail run for tomorrow afternoon. I have a pair of montrail shoes that I bought last year. I hear that they are a good brand. It is hard to believe that I will ever be able to do a 1/2 marathon but I think that if I do sign up for one I will be more likely to push myself. Just curious, why shouldn't I wear baggy shorts?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why shouldn't you wear baggy shorts?

Baggy shorts can rub the inside of your legs and could cause some discomfort after a few miles. There are running shorts that are baggy and they may work for you.

I really don't want to wear cotton because it holds moisture, sticks to me and causes more discomfort. Personally I do all of my running and biking in my Desoto tri shorts

Shoes that are a year old may have lost their cushioning, be carefull with them. Personally I would go to a running store to get some shoes if you are serious about running, there's no sense in hurting yourself early. Let the people there help you. If they sound like they don't know what they are talking about then go to another running store (not footlocker, they are a fashion shoe store)

Start easy, a heart rate monitor will give you an indication of your intensity. There's no need to be blasting on the run when your endurance isn't there. Try a few miles at a time. Give yourself a day of rest before the next run and see how you feel. There's a lot of time over the winter to train correctly so don't be in a hurry to build milage.

This book helped me a lot with my running

http://www.amazon.com/...s=books&v=glance

Have fun while doing it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"why shouldn't I wear baggy shorts? "

Because they look dorky, especially on runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like others have said, Galloway has exellent books on running, and how to start. The first thing you need to do is go to your running store and have them hook you up with good shoes. don't wing it at Dick's or someplace, you need fitted.

secondly--get a book and look up beginning running.

third-put on shoes and go for it!

fourth--wear id.

have fun,

kc
Quote Reply