Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OT: Man's best friend [amy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many of the adopted adult dogs with questionable pasts work out great because they realize how great they have it.

There must be something to this because I have witnessed the same with our adopted lab and heard similar from others. It's a beautiful and rewarding thing to experience. I think the feeling goes both ways. I know my wife and I feel a special obligation to our adopted dog, knowing what she went through before she came to us.
Last edited by: tootall: Nov 3, 05 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [amy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GF had one and she was adorable. Greyhounds are great pets, not super sturdy, but they really just want to hang out and be loved. Everyone I know says the same. There are lots of great rescue groups for them
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [cervelodude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good dogs, but make sure you get it from a reputable breeder as they have a tendency to have major health problems recently with a lot of breeding. also, just be prepared for vet bills! i had a friend that just took the plunge for a dog and didn't realize how expensive vet bills are!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem with some of these former racers is that they are very skittish.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two Words:

DOG INSURANCE

We have Petcare Quickcare Gold Plan and it's great. they pay claims fast with no bickering over coverage.

QuickCare Gold Program Coverage Details Coverage QuickCare Gold Double Illness Category

Accident
Coverage amount is for each separate accident.

$ 3,000

$ 3,000

Illness
Coverage amount is for each of 12 separate illness categories:
•cardiovascular & respiratory system •digestive system •urogenital system
•musculoskeletal system •nervous system •eyes •ears •skin •endocrine system
•blood & lymphoid system •infectious diseases •cancer

$ 3,000
per Category

$ 6,000
per Category

Accidental Death
If your pet should die from injuries as a result of an untreated accident, its original purchase price will be reimbursed, up to policy limit.
(no deductible)

$ 500

$ 500

Boarding Kennel Fees
Boarding or home care to a maximum of $25/day for your dog should you become hospitalized for more than 48 hours and are unable to care for your pet.
(no deductible)

$ 250

$ 250

Recovery Costs
To pay for advertising or to offer a reward should your pet go missing.
(no deductible)

$ 150

$ 150

70% Coverage Monthly Premium:*

$ 19.95

$ 37.90

70% Coverage Select Breeds Monthly Premium:*

$ 26.95

$ 49.90

100% Coverage Monthly Premium:*

$ 35.95

$ 53.90

100% Coverage Select Breeds Monthly Premium:*

$ 45.95

$ 68.90

*Select Breeds: American Staffordshire Terriers, Basset Hounds, Basenjis, Boxers, Bulldogs, **Bull Terriers, Dalmatians, Deerhounds, Doberman Pinschers, Dogue de Bordeaux, German Shepherds (including German Shepherds, King), All Greyhounds (including Italian Greyhounds), Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, Leonbergers, All Mastiff breeds, All Mountain Terriers/Dogs, Newfoundlands, Old English Sheepdogs, Peruvian Inca Orchid, Pharaoh Hounds, Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, St. Bernards, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Wheaten Terriers.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? the ones I have met all seemed to be okay. I know my GF's dog took about a month to settle in to their home because she was super scared when they brought her home but once she settled in she was great, and boy did she settle in:)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another aspect of a bulldog that may or may not be relevant to you is that they are poor swimmers/not able to swim. A neighbor lost 2 bulldogs on separate occassions when they fell off a dock and sank like stones. Why on earth they'd keep getting the same breed and allowing them access to the water I don't know.

Ditto what what everyone else said about adopting from a shelter. 2 of my dogs are from the shelter and they're healthy and great companions. The third is a purebred PITA pretty boy, but I love him anyway :)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of tem have not been treated that well and are kept on edge to run at the opening of the gate. They are trained to be fired up and ready to get the rabbit. Not all of them, but some can be very skittish.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well as long as we are showing off our doggies, here's by beautiful girl. I still think mixed breeds are always the best. Amber is half black lab, half golden. She's 12 and been with me since she was a pup. And she's twice as sweet as she is perty. As perfect a dog and friend as you could ever want.

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already replied to this thread without a picture of my "kids". Party fool on my part!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: jhendric: Nov 3, 05 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My god. Those pictures are priceless!!! I love dogs.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a JRT here in San Clemente, and she loves, as we do, the beach and the snow!
http://forums.ebodyboarding.com/kea.htm

She had a litter of purebred JRT pups last year. Wanna talk about "a lot of work"! Well worth it though!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE your dogs Bill!

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't let the Hunter Dog be left out!! He's been on ST before!!

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hunter also enjoys doing yoga...

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Most weekends we are in you neck of the woods at Del Mar dog beach in the morning...you've probable ridden, driven, run right by us :)

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised I don't recognize them as I'm in Carlsbad and always up and down the coast. I haven't taken Hunter to dog beach in some time, maybe we need to do a ST meeting with our pups at dog beach sometime!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my late puppy, I had her for over 12 years. Sadly she passed over the summer at 14.5 years old, but her memory lives on.

She LOVED the snow, she'd roll in it for hours and then try to catch the snowballs I'd throw at her, then she'd roll in it some more. This picture is on my desktop and it will be for some time.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST puppy play time is a great idea! We use to go early in the morning, 7ish, so I could get a run and bike ride in later. But now that I am in winter training mode, "dad" will be sleeping in a bit! Is there any other dog beach besides the Del Mar one?

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm...well I take Hunter to an unofficial dog beach in Carlsbad, it's actually on the east side of I5 off the Tamarack exit. Fewer dogs and it's more lake like than ocean wave like and I don't stress as much about Hunter getting swept out to sea! :) I know there's also a dog beach area at Fiesta Island and also in Ocean Beach, but we don't venture down that way all that often!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well at least he seems to have mastered the downward dog. Is he any good at upward dog?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill, I don't venture that far south very often. The only dog beaches here in Orange County that I "know" of are Trail 6 at San O, and up in Huntington at Golden West and PCH. We have a secret unofficial dog beach here in San Clemente that I take mine too that's not patrolled called Poche.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Man's best friend [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some friends that lived in San Clemente that use to take there dog to the beach...that was before I had mine, about 2 years ago. Me and my old roommate would surf, while his wife walked the dog....he normally tried to swim out to us anyways :oP. Love the San Clemente beaches!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last plea for the rescue dog. Louisiana has a ton of displaced dogs , cats, horses, birds, and every kind of pet out there. I know a lot of them are pit crosses, but most were family pets that no longer have a home to go to. There are several rescue websites out there, these pets really need some love. G
Quote Reply

Prev Next