Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

expired powerbars?
Quote | Reply
I'm about to buy some powerbars on ebay, but they are near (or after) the expiration date.

How bad is it for me to consume expired powerbars?
Quote Reply
Re: expired powerbars? [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fine...as long as you never plan on having children.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have no problems eating them from a health perspective. Generally food items with really long expiry times don't actually ever go bad. If bacteria was going to take over, it would have taken over by now. If I recall correctly from my Food Engineering course (yes, I actually took one), there are weird rules about setting expiry dates especially in the US.

A bigger risk would be chipping a tooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about powerbars specifically, but I've eaten other types of energy bars that have gone by their exp. date and they haven't tasted quite right. I'd be wary of it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm about to buy some powerbars on ebay, but they are near (or after) the expiration date.

[i]How bad is it for me to consume expired powerbars?[/i][/reply]

They're fine as long as they're still wrapped. They put that date on there to scare, make you throw it away, and buy more.

I'm still eating 6 month old Gu I bought from Ebay and I'm fine.

On a side note, anyone know how this third nipple with hair on my chest came about?
Quote Reply
Re: expired powerbars? [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On a side note, anyone know how this third nipple with hair on my chest came about?
When your d!ck whithers away, that's where it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can eat them years after the expiration date.

To wit; I use them as emergency food in my climbing 10 essentials bag. This bag goes everywhere with me when I'm in the backcountry, through heat, cold, rain, snow, fog, etc. I had REALLY old peanut butter flavor bars in there (I don't like that flavor AT ALL) and ran out of breakfast on the last day out so I decided to try em. The only issue is that the Mylar (R) liner stuck to the bar. Otherwise, after eating bits of plastic with the bar, I saddled up and skied out ten miles with no ill effects. Pretty tasty too (maybe that was the outdoors phenomenom though).

I say, buy 'em and use 'em in good health. Americans are such freakin' scaredy cats about "expiration" dates; wait 'til you know what real hunger means and all that crap goes out the window.

Mmmm...that's good bass!

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the buy them then let us know about the hallucinations camp. I do not recommend out of date Clif bars though. We sold Clif bars at a climbing gym I worked for (Climb Time in Cinti) and we had a lot of problerms wiht them getting moldy, even before the exp. date. I think this was a thin mylar package problem, haven't seen this in 6-7 years, but then again I rarely eat clif bars.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: expired powerbars? [hammydad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I buy all my stuff by the case so i'd say a good deal of my powerbar eating has been on expired stock.
Quote Reply