Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Love the Brick, how bout U?
Quote | Reply
After reading about the Brick here months ago, I've completely fallen in love with it and can't imagine just just running or just biking. Give me the bike/run or swim/run anytime, sometimes all three, if I have the time (would that be a trick?).

I've noticed to that at a certain point, it doesn't matter which sport your doing as long as your putting in the time, elevating the HR and going for quality.

Anybody else love the brick?

Today, its a 45 on the bike, and 45 on the run. Tomorrow, a nice swim/run. Then a rest day. Repeat.

Also, bricks are very good for learning transitions and not just taking you helmet off before the run, but being aware and focused in a transisition, being in s ahurry but not rushing, and how your body feels in the first part of the next stage.

BTW, people drink to escape, to feel better about themselves, to be that person they want to be but can't in normal life, at least temperarily. That song somebody posted by the BNLs says it all.

Lately, I'm enjoying Newcastle from a glass.
Quote Reply
Re: Love the Brick, how bout U? [tri_no_lipator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that it's too dark to run after work, I ride 45 minutes on the Computrainer and run 20 to 30 minutes on the treadmill. Doing the combination breaks up the monotony of choosing to ride or run only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love repeated bricks: swim/run/swim/run/... or run/bike/run/bike/... When I do them I am all smiles and it doesn't seem like work to me.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always avoided them, choosing to run or bike on relatively fresh legs. I usually have a terrible run at the end of a triathlon regardless of how hard I go on the bike so am considering the addition of bricks to training. OK, they add variety to training, but is there evidence they really make one faster?
Quote Reply
Re: Love the Brick, how bout U? [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awww, the repeated brick, had not thought of that. Oh boy, I hear the wife complaining already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do bricks 3 days/week. Monday- Run/swim, Friday- Bike/swim, Saturday- Bike/run.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Nov 1, 05 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my workouts are a brick and I enjoy doing the workouts back to back
Quote Reply
Re: Love the Brick, how bout U? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the faster part, but they DEFINITELY help you run better. Your legs take some time to get used to running after being on the bike for a time. If they aren't used to this "transition" from bike to run, you will suffer. Brick workouts are the best way to get your legs accustomed to that transition, and you will start your run ALOT fresher, and therefore should be able to run faster, or at least more comfortably. I'd say the Bike/Run brick is the most crucial one to practice.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Awww, the repeated brick, had not thought of that. Oh boy, I hear the wife complaining already.
I do these bricks without any regard to triathlon performance. I do them because they are oodles of fun. The trick is to shorten everything up and letting the repetition do the "damage".

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was not aware anyone did NOT do bricks as part of a good tri training program. I think they are a necessity, especially bike to run. I'm not sure who, but somebody once posted that they NEVER end a bike ride w/o doing at least a 20 min run, ever. I'm not saying you need to do that, but that might be the right mentality. When you have an "inside" day do a good paced: 20 min ride/2 mile treadmill run and repeat 3-4 times. That'll kick your ass.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them, because my legs are already warm when I start the run, so I don't have to do any extra time or pounding at the start of the run. I often get back on the bike for 5-10 minutes, at the end, to cool down with no additional impact.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite workouts that my old coach gave me were repeated bricks. He would have us swim/bike/run, all rather short distances but varying the effort. For example we would do 3-4 sets of Swim 800m/bike 20K/run 3K and the effort would be easy/tempo/hard, tempo/hard/easy, hard/easy/tempo or something like that. Each discipline was performed at each level of effort and there was hard efforts and recovery efforts built into the workout. This was for HIM distance training. We also did the same thing with bike/run bricks, jam 3-5 sets together into a 2-3 hour workout. They were killer workouts, you were flat-out trashed afterward, but felt great for having survived it.

Play around with your bricks. Makes it more interesting and helps the time pass by much quicker.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite bricks is on my trainer at the running track. Warm up on trainer for 15 mins then go for 20m at 10 BPM below LT - off the bike and run hard for 1.5 miles on the track. Repeat 3 or 4 times depending on stage of season. Ah the pain... wonderful.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply