Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone Ever Experience Arch Pain During/After a Marathon?
Quote | Reply
I did the Marine Corp over the weekend, it was my first marathon. At about mile 18-19, I started getting a sharp pain in my right arch. This reduced me a a slow death shuffle for the final 10K and it still hurts today. Does anyone out there have some experience with this injury or is this just par of the course when you run a marathon?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Ever Experience Arch Pain During/After a Marathon? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you could have strained it with poor arch support, or you could be getting some plantar fasciitis. Is it worst when you get out of bed in the morning?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Ever Experience Arch Pain During/After a Marathon? [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not too bad out of bed, in fact, my first few steps are fine, its prolonged walking that hurts. I don't think its plantar fasciitis, all the pain in right under the arch. I also believe poor arch support may have been the cause.

Dave in AV
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Ever Experience Arch Pain During/After a Marathon? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a good running store nearby, stop in and have them look at your feet. It may be that you're in the wrong shoes for your foot type, or that you need a little more arch (that can be addressed with an insole as a first line of Rx). You should expect some post-marathon misery, especially after your first. But there's nothing like the distance to identify potential problems, so you'd be well advised to address it right away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I 1st got Plantar Faciitis, it showed up as arch pain, like a massive cramp. Not like the heel pain that I'd always heard about.

I got it treated & have run a lot since, but it came back last summer - as heel pain. Wierd. Got new orthotics & took some time off...

Try taping up your arch, just to support it, for now - until pain goes away, or if you get it checked out.

Also, ice & anti-inflammatories.

Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :)
Last edited by: IronDeb: Nov 1, 05 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm...has anyone NOT experienced arch pain during/after a marathon? Hopefully, you'll be just fine...it's just you're body's way of saying, "WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING? RUNNING THAT FAR IS CRAZY!"

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Last edited by: Titan: Nov 1, 05 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Ever Experience Arch Pain During/After a Marathon? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, this is good, perhaps I'm just freaking out a bit. The past two days I've done some deep water running for recovery...It feels SOOO good!

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful here. If its PF, like Irondeb mentioned, you could be in for a long recovery if you injure it. Hopefully, its just post marathon soreness. But, take it easy until you are sure you are not going to injure it more.
Quote Reply