Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Pedals
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for new shoes and pedals. I have used traditional Looks with red cleats for years without any problems or injuries. However, I have been thinking that maybe I should look outside my historical use patterns to see if there is a better product given the various pedals out there. I was hoping to hear from some of you with thoughts about Speedplay, Look Keos, or other systems you think highly of. Not sure if I am going to change, but would like to hear your thoughts.

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time RXS. You'll hear a lot of votes for these pedals on this forum.

I've ridden Look & Speedplay, and the Times seem to have the best of each. They have the solid cleat of a Look that makes them less likely to jam than the speedplays, which can get grit under the thin wire of the cleat and jam. However, they have good free float and range, like the speedplays.

I started with Look as that seemed to be the "standard." Then I switched to Speedplay after clipping in/out of Looks and pedaling with minimal float really aggravated my ankles. Then I switched from Speedplay to Time because I would often jam the Speedplays and because I also like the feel of the bigger cleat-style pedals.

Hope that helps.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have very limited experience, so take it for what it's worth. I started with SPD's and after a month, my knee was killing me. On the recommendation of a cycling friend I switched to Speedplay. I instantly noticed how awful my pedal stroke was and how much my foot/knee wobbled around. I can see why being locked into a position was causing me so much grief. The speedplays had really helped my knee problems.

I don't mind to float, but I really haven't used anything else. I did have problems with the cleats at one race this year. There was a bunch of sand in the road and I bit it and had to unclip and put my foot down. I couldn't get clipped back in and had to stop and tap my shoe against the raod to get the sand out. The huge plate on the bottom of the shoe also creates a few issues with hot spots, but for me the trade off is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - Time RXS. Great pedal platform. I converted from LOOKs a couple months ago.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Time RXS now, just switched a few months ago. They are excellent, and considerably less expensive than the Keo's. I also use SPD-SL's, they are very good as well, but they don't seem quite as solid as the Time's.

Never used speedplay's, so I cannot comment on them.

All of these are a lot better than the original Look's.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 'side mount pedals' on my Tri bike. They are VERY different. The Q is increased, but I get used to it after a few minutes on that bike. I'm a little leary of recommending them for a road bike, but have spoken with a few people who did, and they are very happy. I am considering it.

The entry and exit is very different--you drop your heel, usually at the top of the stroke, and lift your foot up and outwardly. (Or, you can just kick up, out and forward.)

www.sidemountpedal.com

I do not have any connection with SMP.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replaced some worn Look CX-6s (or whatever they are called) with the new Keo with grey cleats. I am thinking of getting the red ones for them, but so far they feel great. Lighter than the Speedplays too, especially when you consider that you can walk in Looks but that huge metal cleat on the Speedplays will destroy anything you walk on (my nice front door tile).

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can wal/run on the SMP pedals. You can't run your run leg on them, but running on them in transitions is easy. They are attached to your shoes. (The designer call them the cleats, but really they are pedals.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.kewin.com

Fan F'n Tastic. Eddie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put my vote down for the RXS. you can try them out on my calfee this Saturday, biatch!
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am thinking of switching my sig line to Thread Ender...
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! I can kill a thread before it even starts!
Quote Reply
Re: New Pedals [SofaKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use the "search posts" in the right corner - type pedal!

And then buy keywin crm
Quote Reply